Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2008 6:34pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    People have been known to drop up to 4lbs after a hard roll or a hard aerobic activity (.ie. running balls out on a treadmill for 40 minutes.) That's just water... and perhaps a mighty crap.... srlsy.
    I believe that's what he's going for.

Seeing as you're a casual grappler, and not in a heavily competitive league, I would recommend against cutting anything over 0 pounds. Bur that's just me. If you do wanna cut weight...

Eat shitloads of fiber, drink shitloads of water, and two days before, cut it out. Work out, sweat like ****, and, most importantly, don't stuff yourself after weigh-ins! If you do that, you'll be slow on the mat, and you'll go two and and screw.

Oh, and don't eat carbs. Eat fats, sure, but no carbs. Carbs make you retain more water.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/07/2008 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In your experience, how much do wrestlers/grapplers cut, on average (assuming it's even possible to give an approximation)?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I am a moocher who cheats Bullshido out of much needed funds.

Posted On:
    3/07/2008 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice.

What do you mean by casual? If you mean newb you are correct but I am pretty serious about it. I am in the gym 4 to 5 days a week training plus a cardio workout in the morning/afternoon. My eventual goal is to fight amateur in another 18 months or so. Call it a midlife crisis but I have always wanted to fight at an amateur level.

So I am looking at this competition as a learning experience.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2008 11:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got done cutting 15 pounds. Took me about 2 months to drop it. I could have done it faster though.

The best advice I can give is to watch what you eat. I use Fitday, the calorie tracking software (there are a bunch of posts on it here), which really helps me watch what I eat. I also had my wife stop me before eating too much. I started taking snacks to work....basically premeasured amounts of raisins, peanuts, kix, apple jacks, wheat thins, stuff like that. Only eat like, 100 calories at a time throughout the day, then a salad or small sandwich for lunch.

I also started spinning classes....as gay as that is......it really helped drop the weight. On top of that, running, treadmilling, and ellipticaling helps quite a bit. At least 30 mins a day.

Now this was my PLAN....I stuck to it pretty well, but if I had stuck to it more strictly, the weight would have gone much quicker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 12:51am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is your first tournament don't go berserk with cutting weight. You've never cut before so dropping to welter would probably completely gank your performance. You'll be dealing with enough newness just going to a competition for the first time without cutting a lot of weight.

Use the advice to gradually drop to the 170-179 division and enjoy your competition. No matter how serious you are you're still a noob so don't take it too seriously.

I am a moocher who cheats Bullshido out of much needed funds.

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 3:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah your right.. dropping that much would be a stretch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 2:30am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by webprofessor
    Thanks for all the advice.

What do you mean by casual? If you mean newb you are correct but I am pretty serious about it. I am in the gym 4 to 5 days a week training plus a cardio workout in the morning/afternoon. My eventual goal is to fight amateur in another 18 months or so. Call it a midlife crisis but I have always wanted to fight at an amateur level.

So I am looking at this competition as a learning experience.
    When I said "casual," what I meant was "reacreational." Like you just said, it's a learning experience. You aren't a member of team, you aren't a college athlete, and you're certainly not getting paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    In your experience, how much do wrestlers/grapplers cut, on average (assuming it's even possible to give an approximation)?
    See, wrestlers need to make weight Tuesday-Saturday with no breaks for 2-1/2 months, so a wrestler cutting 17 pounds would be much, much more difficult than somebody cutting the same weight for, let's say, NAGA. Some people wrestle in higher weight classes. Some people just wrestle at their natural weight. I'd say that the typical cut (IE the amount to cut after which you are said to be "cutting" to your weight class) is about eight pounds from your natural weight. Of course, in doing so, you pretty quickly drop a lot of weight (they key is not binging after cutting weight). So, it's a really wide range. I'd say -30 to 15.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12