Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2003 10:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the guy in UFC 1 wore the glove because he thought he would be throwing some big right hands. He had no idea what he was in for. I mean, he was boxer, he probably thought he could KO people before they took him down, if he even ever thought about the possibility of being taken down. BJJ was unknown to Americans at that time.

I saw Jeff Newtown fight in the last KOTC, he was pretty good. The karate influence in his fighting style is obvious, and throws some very nice kicks. I was impressed. He has a sweet right hand too.

And he doesnt chamber his punches at the hip. That pic just happened to snapped at that point during a flurry of punches. Many fighters get wild and just start "slinging" punches without the so-called "proper" form. I think this whole point sparring thing comes from the fact he uses a sideways stance the way they do in point-fighting tourneys. Quite frankly, I would have thought he'd be taken down more often with that stance, but he does an excellent job of takedown defense. At least he did against this opponent.

I'm not sure how well he would do against higher caliber fighters (guys in the UFC) but I definately want to see more of him.

Posted On:
    11/21/2003 10:58am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Therefore I am correct. :D
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 2:10am

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is off topic but I've having no luck looking on my own. Does anybody know the name of the first TKD sylist to get taken out in the UFC? If so, do you know where i can see the highlights or read about the match?
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pat Smith in UFC 1 is the first TKD stylist according to Sherdog's fight finder. I think Sean Daughtery in UFC 2 was the second.

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 3:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "that twist punching doesn't seem to have much of a rotation from what I've seen."

i think this varies from style to style
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 5:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point sparring- in karate, you punch or kick your opponent to earn points. Absolutely no punching/kicking to the head and below the below the belt (knees and feet excepted). All the punching/kicking is done on the chest level to earn points.

I think the author just misused the term in article.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123