Page 15 of 18 First ... 51112131415161718 Last
  1. #141

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    100
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

    In other news...Anthony Johnson is my new hero.
    Spoiler:
    Tommy Speer wins the award for lulziest ko'd pose in recent UFC history.


  2. #142
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Elbows to the eyebrows aren't banned.
    As I understood it, Kintanon and mrblackmagic posts' referred to spiked elbows in general, rather than elbows to the back of the head specifically. I'm sure they can correct me if I was wrong.

    Furthermore, my argument was against Kintanon's opinion on the lack of sportsmanship displayed by and mrblackmagic's opinion on the effectiveness of the technique, rather than one concerning the rules of the sport itself.

  3. #143

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,952
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Lay and pray=stalling. It should be illegal.

    Elbow spikes are pretty useless and messy. It ends a fight on a technicality versus actual skill. Remember the Stevenson vs Edwards fight.
    On one side, I'm with the winning ugly is still winning. On the other side, if there is a chance that the fighters might get some kind of severe, unnecessary injury- such as getting hit in the neck, because "the back of the head is legal, oops! ", it's not worth it. These guys (especially in the lower weights of almost any combat sports) work too hard and get paid to little for that kind of risk.

    Also, I was pretty happy that Florion won. I know J Luo is a good guy,but Florion represents hard work and effort, in a kind of old Charles Atlas way- you know, someone kicked sand in his face and he went and trained his ass off to be a badass. Isn't that the appeal of Martial Arts- I mean, you look at a Matt Hguhes or some of the other "natural" fighters (well, sort of natural) and you think, sure, he'll win. With Kenny, he's always the underdog.

    J Luo looks like he has some womens heads in his freezer, but that's another story....
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

  4. #144
    JohnnyCache's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,528
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    As I understood it, Kintanon and mrblackmagic posts' referred to spiked elbows in general, rather than elbows to the back of the head specifically. I'm sure they can correct me if I was wrong.

    Furthermore, my argument was against Kintanon's opinion on the lack of sportsmanship displayed by and mrblackmagic's opinion on the effectiveness of the technique, rather than one concerning the rules of the sport itself.
    Well, you aren't really going to throw a spiked elbow to the eyebrow in any situation you couldn't throw a lateral one. Lateral elbows cut good enough, let the athletic commission have a cookie.


  5. #145
    Kintanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,682
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I was referring to spiked elbows in general, and the ones to the back of the head in this instance in specific. I understand that's a totally valid technique, winning by cut is a totally valid strategy, but in my sole opinion it is a dick way to win or attempt to win and the use of spiked elbows is t3h gay. That certainly doesn't make Kenny Florian any less of an athlete or any less of a fighter, but to me it makes him slightly more a of a douchebag that he went immediately to elbow spiking the top of Joe's head.

  6. #146
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Well, you aren't really going to throw a spiked elbow to the eyebrow in any situation you couldn't throw a lateral one. Lateral elbows cut good enough, let the athletic commission have a cookie.
    Oh. I see your point. I should have left out the 'spiked' qualifier in my argument, at which point, it ceases to have relevance to the discussion at hand.

    I think I'm done here.

  7. #147
    UpaLumpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    In Shooto the rule is about the spine rather than the back of the head and it doesn't seem to exact an unendurable death toll.
    I didn't think that shooto allowed any elbows?

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Posts
    802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I had a problem with in this fight was the restart on there feet after Florian threw those elbows. Instead of checking Joe and restarting them on the ground in the posistion they were in, they stood them up. Not saying it would have really effected the match, but you never know. He had a dominant posistion and then they took it from him. It's all good though cuz now florian will be in line to get that ass beat by BJ, as soon as he disposes of sherk. You know how Bj is with grudges, and i am sure he is pissed that Kenflo won this, after all he put some time into Joe, he doesnt do that for just anybody.

  9. #149
    The Question's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,593
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    The only thing I had a problem with in this fight was the restart on there feet after Florian threw those elbows. Instead of checking Joe and restarting them on the ground in the posistion they were in, they stood them up. Not saying it would have really effected the match, but you never know. He had a dominant posistion and then they took it from him. It's all good though cuz now florian will be in line to get that ass beat by BJ, as soon as he disposes of sherk. You know how Bj is with grudges, and i am sure he is pissed that Kenflo won this, after all he put some time into Joe, he doesnt do that for just anybody.
    Yeah, because being in someone's guard while they elbow the **** out of the top of your head is definitely "dominant position".
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

  10. #150

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    396
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't understand why no one here likes Florian. Is it because he hasn't posted here before?

    Anyway, I knew Kenny was gonna win, he just keeps improving, strong standup, great ground work.

Page 15 of 18 First ... 51112131415161718 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO