Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

In other news...Anthony Johnson is my new hero.
    Spoiler:
    Tommy Speer wins the award for lulziest ko'd pose in recent UFC history.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Elbows to the eyebrows aren't banned.
    As I understood it, Kintanon and mrblackmagic posts' referred to spiked elbows in general, rather than elbows to the back of the head specifically. I'm sure they can correct me if I was wrong.

Furthermore, my argument was against Kintanon's opinion on the lack of sportsmanship displayed by and mrblackmagic's opinion on the effectiveness of the technique, rather than one concerning the rules of the sport itself.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:55pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Lay and pray=stalling. It should be illegal.

Elbow spikes are pretty useless and messy. It ends a fight on a technicality versus actual skill. Remember the Stevenson vs Edwards fight.
    On one side, I'm with the winning ugly is still winning. On the other side, if there is a chance that the fighters might get some kind of severe, unnecessary injury- such as getting hit in the neck, because "the back of the head is legal, oops! ", it's not worth it. These guys (especially in the lower weights of almost any combat sports) work too hard and get paid to little for that kind of risk.

Also, I was pretty happy that Florion won. I know J Luo is a good guy,but Florion represents hard work and effort, in a kind of old Charles Atlas way- you know, someone kicked sand in his face and he went and trained his ass off to be a badass. Isn't that the appeal of Martial Arts- I mean, you look at a Matt Hguhes or some of the other "natural" fighters (well, sort of natural) and you think, sure, he'll win. With Kenny, he's always the underdog.

J Luo looks like he has some womens heads in his freezer, but that's another story....
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    As I understood it, Kintanon and mrblackmagic posts' referred to spiked elbows in general, rather than elbows to the back of the head specifically. I'm sure they can correct me if I was wrong.

Furthermore, my argument was against Kintanon's opinion on the lack of sportsmanship displayed by and mrblackmagic's opinion on the effectiveness of the technique, rather than one concerning the rules of the sport itself.
    Well, you aren't really going to throw a spiked elbow to the eyebrow in any situation you couldn't throw a lateral one. Lateral elbows cut good enough, let the athletic commission have a cookie.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I was referring to spiked elbows in general, and the ones to the back of the head in this instance in specific. I understand that's a totally valid technique, winning by cut is a totally valid strategy, but in my sole opinion it is a dick way to win or attempt to win and the use of spiked elbows is t3h gay. That certainly doesn't make Kenny Florian any less of an athlete or any less of a fighter, but to me it makes him slightly more a of a douchebag that he went immediately to elbow spiking the top of Joe's head.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Well, you aren't really going to throw a spiked elbow to the eyebrow in any situation you couldn't throw a lateral one. Lateral elbows cut good enough, let the athletic commission have a cookie.
    Oh. I see your point. I should have left out the 'spiked' qualifier in my argument, at which point, it ceases to have relevance to the discussion at hand.

I think I'm done here.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    In Shooto the rule is about the spine rather than the back of the head and it doesn't seem to exact an unendurable death toll.
    I didn't think that shooto allowed any elbows?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:30pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I had a problem with in this fight was the restart on there feet after Florian threw those elbows. Instead of checking Joe and restarting them on the ground in the posistion they were in, they stood them up. Not saying it would have really effected the match, but you never know. He had a dominant posistion and then they took it from him. It's all good though cuz now florian will be in line to get that ass beat by BJ, as soon as he disposes of sherk. You know how Bj is with grudges, and i am sure he is pissed that Kenflo won this, after all he put some time into Joe, he doesnt do that for just anybody.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    The only thing I had a problem with in this fight was the restart on there feet after Florian threw those elbows. Instead of checking Joe and restarting them on the ground in the posistion they were in, they stood them up. Not saying it would have really effected the match, but you never know. He had a dominant posistion and then they took it from him. It's all good though cuz now florian will be in line to get that ass beat by BJ, as soon as he disposes of sherk. You know how Bj is with grudges, and i am sure he is pissed that Kenflo won this, after all he put some time into Joe, he doesnt do that for just anybody.
    Yeah, because being in someone's guard while they elbow the **** out of the top of your head is definitely "dominant position".
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:24pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't understand why no one here likes Florian. Is it because he hasn't posted here before?

Anyway, I knew Kenny was gonna win, he just keeps improving, strong standup, great ground work.