Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    They do allow that strike everywhere except to the back of the head. See J-Roc vs. War Machine or Lutter vs. Silva.
    So what the hell does this rule mean?

Quote Originally Posted by UFC rules, under FOULS
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    Does "downward" only mean on a vertical plane, or something? It was kind of bugging me in the J-Roc fight too . . .

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel bad for Joe. I've followed his career since he was an amateur, mostly through the fact that I used to hang out on the sssfighting forum with Bill Mahoney/Strong Machine. Joe's strength, IMO, has always been his slick and fast submissions despite the fact that he also has KO power. Whenever he's faced guys that have more experience he's still been able to pull out victories with surprising subs. (Anyone remember that win... think it was ammy... by flying heel hook?) But against Florian that just wasn't going to happen.

You can tell he tried, though, with those two heel hook/knee bar attempts in round one. And then, in one of his mount escapes he went for another surprise heel hook! Awesome. But Florian's Jits was just too good. In fact, I think Joe would've done better looking to stand and try for another KO ala Pulver. *shrug* Either way, as someone said, he's only going to get better. Good luck, Joe!

And way to go to my boy Matt Hammil. Finished the fight. Continues to improve. Deceptive power. Controls the takedowns. He ain't top tier yet, but he keeps on winning!

The Alexander stoppage was not early. After that last punch on the ground, his arms flew open and he got that frozen pose, K'dTFO look. The Karo stoppage on the other hand was early. I mean, jeez, give a guy a chance to defend himself. Getting rocked is going to necessitate a moment to pull it together, but doesn't mean you can't defend!

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 10:38am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take back all the **** i've said about gray maynard, btw. That boxing was pretty damn slick.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    And way to go to my boy Matt Hammil. Finished the fight. Continues to improve. Deceptive power. Controls the takedowns. He ain't top tier yet, but he keeps on winning!
    Dude, that **** was ridiculous. Hammil should have brought that fight to the ground quicker, because that standup was a travesty.

The Alexander stoppage was not early. After that last punch on the ground, his arms flew open and he got that frozen pose, K'dTFO look. The Karo stoppage on the other hand was early. I mean, jeez, give a guy a chance to defend himself. Getting rocked is going to necessitate a moment to pull it together, but doesn't mean you can't defend!
    Neither of those stoppages were premature. Alexander was fucked. Karo was fucked. Karo was going nowhere. Thiago Silva bitch slapped him and that was that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:31am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.

He's an all around good guy too.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy sol hurok
    Does "downward" only mean on a vertical plane, or something? It was kind of bugging me in the J-Roc fight too . . .
    Yeah, it got clarified after it became a talking point in Silva vs. Lutter. 'Downward' has its normal meaning as in with respect to the ground rather than the fighter's body. Really I don't know why everyone (inluding me) takes it the other way when they first read it.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:53am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the idea to stop the jumping elbow spike that you see in Tony Jaa movies or something? I just don't see a lot of situations standing where a downward elbow spike becomes suddenly more dangerous than anything else....

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Is the idea to stop the jumping elbow spike that you see in Tony Jaa movies or something? I just don't see a lot of situations standing where a downward elbow spike becomes suddenly more dangerous than anything else....
    I think I read somewhere that the New Jersey State Athletic commission saw some karate breaking videos and imagined that devastating power unleashed on a human being. Can't find a source right now, though.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Going straight to the elbow spikes though smacks of being an asshat, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Lay and pray=stalling. It should be illegal.

Elbow spikes are pretty useless and messy. It ends a fight on a technicality versus actual skill. Remember the Stevenson vs Edwards fight.
    Cutting someone with an elbow in the forehead region, specifically for the purpose of blinding them with their own blood, is a perfectly valid strategy in MMA. Just because it violates your sense of sportsmanship doesn't mean it's a lousy tactic.

Elbows thrown in this manner also work quite well in real life altercations.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:15pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Cutting someone with an elbow in the forehead region, specifically for the purpose of blinding them with their own blood, is a perfectly valid strategy in MMA. Just because it violates your sense of sportsmanship doesn't mean it's a lousy tactic.

Elbows thrown in this manner also work quite well in real life altercations.
    Elbows to the eyebrows aren't banned.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.