224712 Bullies, 4124 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 1:06pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Don't worry. I'll make you a general.
    Screw you, I'm gathering up the other producers and moving to Phrost's Gulch.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost, there have been a lot of articles about xyience and zuffa.
    SamboSteve isn't entirely correct though. Essentially zuffa has been propping up xyience since sept/oct 2007, not really laundering and they weren't the ones defaulting on contracts. They're no in the process of fully taking over xyience.

Really, what it comes down to in my opinion, is that Zuffa didn't want one of their major sponsors and partners to collapse. That would affect their image as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 1:27pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats the average fighter make? Who is the highest paid? Budweiser is now sponsoring the UFC so maybe things change. Maybe fighters realize they are the product and get agents like Boxing etc.

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 2:15pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Phrost, there have been a lot of articles about xyience and zuffa.
    SamboSteve isn't entirely correct though. Essentially zuffa has been propping up xyience since sept/oct 2007, not really laundering and they weren't the ones defaulting on contracts. They're no in the process of fully taking over xyience.

Really, what it comes down to in my opinion, is that Zuffa didn't want one of their major sponsors and partners to collapse. That would affect their image as well.
    Thanks, I'm so behind on things these days.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ultimately, we don't know how much the fighters get in additional bonuses (and more than one fighter has stated that they've been compensated in excess of their stated salary, aside from the X of the Night bonuses), we don't know how much the UFC cards cost to promote, we don't know the venue fees, we don't know how much of the PPV revenue they get a cut of, and we don't know how much money they make from advertising, so honestly we have no fucking idea whether the fighters are underpaid or overpaid, and how much either way if they are. They're probably underpaid, but really we don't have any fucking idea.

Even if the fighters are underpaid, you can't deny that fighter salaries are going up, so it's not like Zuffa is just making more and more money and paying the fighters the same - they're paying the fighters more as they make more. So the argument becomes whether the cut Zuffa takes of the revenue is fair. And again, we have no idea what Zuffa's outlay is, so it's very difficult to make an informed judgement on that - not to mention that Zuffa ran the UFC at a loss for years, so it's very arguable that them taking a large cut now is simply what they deserve for sinking millions into the sport. After all, doesn't that mean that all the fighters for the first five or six years or so of Zuffa's reign were drastically overpaid, since the events were operating at a loss?

I know we all love to hate on Dana, but really, I don't think "Fighters are always underpaid!" is as obvious a truth as people think it is, especially when you consider the only companies I've seen that were proven to pay more than the UFC are out of business.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 3:32pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with him making a buck?

It's a free market, it's his right.

The fighters can either move to another organization to make more money or attempt to unionize.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    What's wrong with him making a buck?

It's a free market, it's his right.

The fighters can either move to another organization to make more money or attempt to unionize.
    What the **** is wrong with you? Unionize? Move to another organization? Are you fucking kidding me? Dude, what the ****, man?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 3:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's it different from any other market? If it's not worth it to you, find a new job.

That said, if Mark Cuban is really going ahead with paying the fighters more, providing them insurance and so forth, that's good news. Competition for these elite athletes is going to make their salaries go up a lot more than bemoaning low pay ever will.
    El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 5:06pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if UFC decided to pack it in....the fighters would do?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 5:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Thanks, I'm so behind on things these days.
    Zuffa did not try to own Xyience, they just own much of their stock *wink wink*. They essentially gave xyience money to keep them afloat, and xyience gave it right back claiming it was sponsor money. In the end Xyience did not really survive anyway.

Omega, you can read about this craziness here: http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/gr...ead.php?t=1698

It may not be "laundering" or trying to Own xyience, but when Zuffa gives a portion of their loan to a third company (also under fertitta control), and that company offers to support xyience by giving that money to xyience, and then xyience turns around and gives the money right back to zuffa claiming it is sponsorship money, that sounds fishy to me. Zuffa may not own the company, but if they are the ones keeping it alive, it is essentially theirs. Furthermore, Zuffa needed to establish good sponsorship as part of the loan agreement...so they gave xyience the cash, took it back, and claimed xyience gave them the money as part of their sponsorship deal.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast