Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 3:34pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Kettlebells are too goddamn pricey. Almost $100 for a 50lb one. Not even a damn pair.

****, it's just a ball of iron with a handle.

Sorry. Not trying to derail.

The truth is Phrost, you can't afford not to buy one!

Don't you want super human strength and endurance, ripped pecs, shredded abs, and a dick you can tie around your knee?

Or maybe you're just too weak to handle it. Heh.

Seriously, check ebay. DD sells them there at a discount. A STEEP discount.

Panhinda - once you get good at Turkish get ups, try alternating one minute of swings with one minute of TGUs for (recovery?) - it's one of the most brutal workouts to which I've ever been subjected. Also, once I learn what's behind this whole KB snatch protocol I'll post that, too. That's supposed to be a killer workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha
    I've only got two kettlebells, a 45 and a 20lber. So the two KBs are out of the question. Thanks anyway. :)
    No way dude. The load would be asymmetric using both kbs. It could be quite a challenge, but I don't know if it can be sustained for tabatas for some exercises, though.

However, Ross Enamait has some material showing how to do snatches and cleans with one hand while holding another (usually lighter) weight on the other (acting as an anchor.), and IIRC, there is an article on that same subject on t-nation. I've only done this with dumbbells and it's a bitch. I imagine it will be more of a bitch with kbs (due to the thicker handles.)

Another exercise you can try for tabatas using your 45lbs kb (or both for an asymmetric bitch) is sumo deadlift to high pull:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UujQTJ09w

same exercise using kbs at mark 1:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_aiYLzgk8

Do you think it is possible to do a shallow burpee (burpee without the push up part) while holding the kb handle with both hands? If so, that may be another canditate for tabata hell.

You may not want to use the same exercise for all your tabata sets as they may cause premature muscle failure (not to mention wear and tear if you are using your shoulder for cleaning and pressing). If you can do two (or better yet, three) different exercises between each tabata set (one push, one pull, extensors vs flexors), you may be able to sustain longer tabata rounds.

--- edit --- What's a zipup?

--- more edit --- oh yea, what SFGOON said on TGUs.

Kettlebells are too goddamn pricey. Almost $100 for a 50lb one. Not even a damn pair.

No prob. But consider that the handles are thicker than a regular dumbbell. An extra inch in diameter makes a lot of difference, specially when you are trying to explosively lift one off the ground.

Little experiment: try curling a 40lbs dumbbell as usual. Then add a piece of pool noodle on the handle (like this) and try again. Compare to the previous attempt.

Then take a 30lbs dumbell, wrap a piece of pool noodle on the handle. And then wrap another piece pool nool over on top of the previous one (won't go all the way around, though.) Then grip the **** out of that and try to curl it. Compare the effort to the previous two attempts.

I'm with you with the price though - I've spent too much right now on equipment right now. I have to wait for a while before getting a pair of them puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    but I'm still having trouble figuring out what a Tabata is.
    Check this link at Ross' website. It may help explain the concept.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...intervals.html
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 3/06/2008 4:03pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony, check the starting exercise in this clip. That looks like a good tabata canditate (I must try this tonight with my dumbelz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnJNYc7dsM
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My wife got me a 24kg (53lb) one off e-bay for much less than that.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 3:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and **** alternating swings with Turkish get ups. That sounds like an excellent way to simply throw up/drop kettlebell on self due to diziness. It's like an 'interval' programme where you're just on full-throttle all the time. I like to alternate swings (10 on each arm no break when changing hands) with sweating, taking a sip of water and generally looking like I'm about to **** myself and cry blood.

I <3 Sirc.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a certain level of conditioning and skill implied before that workout is attempted, you know.

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 4:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose it depends on the pace you swing at and how many minutes you keep going for.

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 5:50pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the 'pace' of a swing is pretty fixed, unless you try real hard to do the 'american' swing video'ed on crossfit.

it's about 1 per 2.4 seconds, or about 8 per interval. It's good for tabata, but not great. Might work with really heavy swings, but then you'd hit failure. You're first few sets would be great for heart rate/ work load, and then you're muscles would hit a wall. You wouldn't be able to work for the metabolic effect b/c you're legs are jello.

Tabata needs to be EXTREMELY metabolically demanding, turned on and off QUICKLY and it needs to be SIMPLE enough to not **** UP.

That's why Izumi used the stationary bike.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 12:15am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing interval kettlebell swings. Last week we did 6 rounds 20 seconds work 40 seconds rest 25 lb KB swings, 2 minute rest, 6 rounds 20 seconds work 40 seconds rest 5 lb medicine ball swings. Good stuff.

I'm working towards tabata workouts.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 12:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One swing every two and a half seconds? Mine last one - tops, and that's at chin level. I do grip it at the top and force it back down (unless I'm fucking tired,) but 2.5 seconds per rep? Wow.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast