Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 10:10pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pro fighters changing their game for success

Speculative question for the more informed MMA fans out there.

What fighter, in your opinion, has revolutionized or substantially changed their game the most over their career and (this is important) had success with it? This means no Royce "I have striking now!" Gracie or Tank "Look! I'm pretending to have a ground game!" Abbott.

I'm asking because it's a question that occurred to me, and simultaneously it occurred to me that I had no idea who my pick would be.

DISCUSS!

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 10:49pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose the most obvious name that springs to mind is Jason Delucia.

It's a bit of old, I know, but it's true.

Probably the best possible example of a fighter truly evolving would be Bas Rutten in the early days. He was an awesome striker, who got submitted and then developed submissions skills to a very high standard.

I think the majority of fighters who really fit the bill you desribe are likely to be from the older generation, where they had to specifically cross train rather than train in an eclectic school (i.e. attend separate camps to work on areas of their game that were weak).

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 10:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats hard for me to answer...

I just got into the whole mma thing last year, and now pretty much everyone is well-rounded. Sure, people have strengths and weaknesses, but no gaping holes in the game...

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 10:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say GSP. He was a kickboxer who not only got great at BJJ but got amazingly good at wrestling. Another example would be Anderson Silva. he kept getting submitted, so he went and got himself a black belt in BJJ. That's why those two are so good.

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 11:10pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I suppose the most obvious name that springs to mind is Jason Delucia.
    Yeah, DeLucia is definitely one that springs to mind with drastically changing their game, but he's never been great in MMA. And he went from Kung Fu to Aikido =P

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Probably the best possible example of a fighter truly evolving would be Bas Rutten in the early days. He was an awesome striker, who got submitted and then developed submissions skills to a very high standard.

I think the majority of fighters who really fit the bill you desribe are likely to be from the older generation, where they had to specifically cross train rather than train in an eclectic school (i.e. attend separate camps to work on areas of their game that were weak).
    You're most likely right...which is why I couldn't think of anyone. Bas is a good choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I would say GSP. He was a kickboxer who not only got great at BJJ but got amazingly good at wrestling. Another example would be Anderson Silva. he kept getting submitted, so he went and got himself a black belt in BJJ. That's why those two are so good.
    Definitely good examples for today.

Come to think of it, Chuck Liddell has sort of changed his game drastically, although he's almost regressed. He used to throw a lot more kicks and such, but got to the point where he almost exclusively threw punches and sprawled...yet was extremely successful with it. Now that Jardine's exposed him though, against Wandy he seemed to be opening up his game again with kicks and takedowns.

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 11:55pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshinBt10
    Yeah, DeLucia is definitely one that springs to mind with drastically changing their game, but he's never been great in MMA. And he went from Kung Fu to Aikido =P
    That's true, but he did rack up a decent record (33-21-1 according to Sherdog), and he trained in BJJ after he got subbed by Royce Gracie during a "Gracie Challenge". By the time he fought Royce in UFC 2, he'd already attained a blue belt in BJJ.

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 12:52am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rampage by learning really real boxing and starting to use gameplans?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 12:57am

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshinBt10
    Come to think of it, Chuck Liddell has sort of changed his game drastically, although he's almost regressed. He used to throw a lot more kicks and such, but got to the point where he almost exclusively threw punches and sprawled...yet was extremely successful with it. Now that Jardine's exposed him though, against Wandy he seemed to be opening up his game again with kicks and takedowns.
    My understanding is that Chuck began kicking less because he began having constant foot problems.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, he really didn't. He learned a lot of moves. I've yet to see him use almost any of them in a fight. He's like an encyclopedic blue belt.

I would say GSP. He was a kickboxer who not only got great at BJJ but got amazingly good at wrestling.
    GSP was already a good wrestler and a BJJ black belt when he started MMA. He just got better. Dumb post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 3:22am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch

GSP was already a good wrestler and a BJJ black belt when he started MMA. He just got better. Dumb post.
    He actually just got his brown belt in 2006.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast