Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Pro fighters changing their game for success

    Speculative question for the more informed MMA fans out there.

    What fighter, in your opinion, has revolutionized or substantially changed their game the most over their career and (this is important) had success with it? This means no Royce "I have striking now!" Gracie or Tank "Look! I'm pretending to have a ground game!" Abbott.

    I'm asking because it's a question that occurred to me, and simultaneously it occurred to me that I had no idea who my pick would be.

    DISCUSS!

  2. #2
    Deadmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose the most obvious name that springs to mind is Jason Delucia.

    It's a bit of old, I know, but it's true.

    Probably the best possible example of a fighter truly evolving would be Bas Rutten in the early days. He was an awesome striker, who got submitted and then developed submissions skills to a very high standard.

    I think the majority of fighters who really fit the bill you desribe are likely to be from the older generation, where they had to specifically cross train rather than train in an eclectic school (i.e. attend separate camps to work on areas of their game that were weak).

  3. #3
    3moose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    9,620
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats hard for me to answer...

    I just got into the whole mma thing last year, and now pretty much everyone is well-rounded. Sure, people have strengths and weaknesses, but no gaping holes in the game...

  4. #4
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say GSP. He was a kickboxer who not only got great at BJJ but got amazingly good at wrestling. Another example would be Anderson Silva. he kept getting submitted, so he went and got himself a black belt in BJJ. That's why those two are so good.

  5. #5
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I suppose the most obvious name that springs to mind is Jason Delucia.
    Yeah, DeLucia is definitely one that springs to mind with drastically changing their game, but he's never been great in MMA. And he went from Kung Fu to Aikido =P

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Probably the best possible example of a fighter truly evolving would be Bas Rutten in the early days. He was an awesome striker, who got submitted and then developed submissions skills to a very high standard.

    I think the majority of fighters who really fit the bill you desribe are likely to be from the older generation, where they had to specifically cross train rather than train in an eclectic school (i.e. attend separate camps to work on areas of their game that were weak).
    You're most likely right...which is why I couldn't think of anyone. Bas is a good choice though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I would say GSP. He was a kickboxer who not only got great at BJJ but got amazingly good at wrestling. Another example would be Anderson Silva. he kept getting submitted, so he went and got himself a black belt in BJJ. That's why those two are so good.
    Definitely good examples for today.

    Come to think of it, Chuck Liddell has sort of changed his game drastically, although he's almost regressed. He used to throw a lot more kicks and such, but got to the point where he almost exclusively threw punches and sprawled...yet was extremely successful with it. Now that Jardine's exposed him though, against Wandy he seemed to be opening up his game again with kicks and takedowns.

  6. #6
    Deadmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshinBt10
    Yeah, DeLucia is definitely one that springs to mind with drastically changing their game, but he's never been great in MMA. And he went from Kung Fu to Aikido =P
    That's true, but he did rack up a decent record (33-21-1 according to Sherdog), and he trained in BJJ after he got subbed by Royce Gracie during a "Gracie Challenge". By the time he fought Royce in UFC 2, he'd already attained a blue belt in BJJ.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rampage by learning really real boxing and starting to use gameplans?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    EST
    Posts
    286
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshinBt10
    Come to think of it, Chuck Liddell has sort of changed his game drastically, although he's almost regressed. He used to throw a lot more kicks and such, but got to the point where he almost exclusively threw punches and sprawled...yet was extremely successful with it. Now that Jardine's exposed him though, against Wandy he seemed to be opening up his game again with kicks and takedowns.
    My understanding is that Chuck began kicking less because he began having constant foot problems.

  9. #9
    Roidie McDouchebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Posts
    9,417
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably the best possible example of a fighter truly evolving would be Bas Rutten in the early days. He was an awesome striker, who got submitted and then developed submissions skills to a very high standard.
    No, he really didn't. He learned a lot of moves. I've yet to see him use almost any of them in a fight. He's like an encyclopedic blue belt.

    I would say GSP. He was a kickboxer who not only got great at BJJ but got amazingly good at wrestling.
    GSP was already a good wrestler and a BJJ black belt when he started MMA. He just got better. Dumb post.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    75
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch



    GSP was already a good wrestler and a BJJ black belt when he started MMA. He just got better. Dumb post.
    He actually just got his brown belt in 2006.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO