Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2008 7:46pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    TheMarquis.... Wait a minute, your avatar thingie sez Freestyle/MMA; are you trolling?:kermit:
    Nope, just been a lazy **** and no updated my details for some time.

I say freestyle/MMA because when I do get a chance to actually spar with any serious level (which as I have limited space is to be done outside - so it's a bit of waiting game with the **** arse bastard weather in England ATM), it usually involves many bits and peices of MA techniques...

Including locks/throws/holds/strikes... pretty much a Mixed bag really.

The reason why I say freestyle tends to be that fact that most of my sparing was done many years ago and on an informal basis... with opponents with varying levels of skills and disciplines (Karate, kick boxing, kung Fu etc)... I'm just kind of getting back into the whole MA thing really after an excessivley long break from it, due to re-locating.

TBH - I will openly admit that my groundwork is one area that needs some serious work, as it's not something I've had much experience with at all.
    I am also getting the feeling that the school i'm currently at is begining to smell of serious Bullshido and I may have to do the great search for somewhere else that isn't miles away so I don't end up paying twice as much for petrol every fucking week (a-fucking-gain).

As you may have guessed.. i'm not overjoyed at this prospect.

:new_let_i

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 1:00am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Also, why no love for Olorin?
    ???...

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 6:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the rosetta stone helped modern man to understand ancient egytian hieroglyphics until the stone was found and subsequently translated the old egyptian language was a good as most of you feel kata is not much but once the old language was unveiled it opened new understanding of ancient egypt

instead of spending so much time loathing kata why not spend time umlocking it so that all can benefit from its true but apparently hidden meaning

that is the nature of man to destroy that which he does not understand

you know guys I dont fully understand women or managers but I dont think we should rid the world of them !!

oh well just my two cents bock1965

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bock1965
    the rosetta stone helped modern man to understand ancient egytian hieroglyphics until the stone was found and subsequently translated the old egyptian language was a good as most of you feel kata is not much but once the old language was unveiled it opened new understanding of ancient egypt

instead of spending so much time loathing kata why not spend time umlocking it so that all can benefit from its true but apparently hidden meaning

that is the nature of man to destroy that which he does not understand

you know guys I dont fully understand women or managers but I dont think we should rid the world of them !!

oh well just my two cents bock1965
    Katas aren't a language... unless you think interpretive dance is a language, in which case you probably live in San Fransisco (if ya know what I mean...)

How would you go about "unlocking the secret of kata"? There is no secret. From what I've gathered from my past instructors and from reading on the board, it's used primarly to train "muscle memory" or to "train the body to respond is such a manner" or some other bullshit. Nevermind that kata doesn't teach you what targets to go for, or train you to react to attacks, or how to evade attacks. You've got the movements, except you don't know how to use them. My teachers have said that if used with sparring it is useful, by why not just spar? You learn how to block, kick, punch, and dodge without doing any ridiculous set of movements. It's just more efficient.

Besides, most forms contain moves that would never be used in an actual fight. Ever seen someone pull off a jump spinning side kick or a double crescent kick in the ring? Maybe, but not nearly as often as you see people using the basic arsenal of kicks (side kick, roundhouse, etc...), punches and grappling. In any of the few confrontations I have been in (such as sparring or the rare altercation with a friend or coworker), I have never seen an opening for a knifehand strike followed by a bicycle kick.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 12:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why spend time unlocking kata when you can just cross-train BJJ & Muay Thai?

Unless you are a historical researcher, hoplologist, or an invested karate instructor with a personal interest in evolving your art (similar to Kano bringing judo out of koryu jujutsu), training karate kata is largely a waste of time when looked at from the point of viewof developing combative ability.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 1:04pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, & Dunkel, you & your instructors & whoever you read on this board don't know **** when it comes to karate kata.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, probably.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Why spend time unlocking kata when you can just cross-train BJJ & Muay Thai?

Unless you are a historical researcher, hoplologist, or an invested karate instructor with a personal interest in evolving your art (similar to Kano bringing judo out of koryu jujutsu), training karate kata is largely a waste of time when looked at from the point of viewof developing combative ability.
    I watched Muai Thai workout and they all lined up and did combos in the air for awhile. If they strung them together they'd look like kata.

Karate training, kata included, taught me to be able to strike at all kinds of angles to people's bodies, pads, bags, and even BOARDS! This striking includes focus and power. People rightly make fun of much training, but try some TMA stunts like the one where you break two or three boards held by five people surrounding you. To do this you have to hit hard and straight. Though I use this skill mostly to close my work truck's door with spinning back kicks doesn't mean it might not have real application.

Or try like we did in Wado instructor's class where Shihan taught us a new kata and after walking through it several times we then we did it fast 18 times with out a break. The muscle memory (to say nothing of the endurance [what the **** do you think OSU! means anyway?] and conditioning) learned is more precise than what is learned in sparring - the most important of the skills learned in sparring is probably overcoming fear, but that is another topic.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 10:04pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    I watched Muai Thai workout and they all lined up and did combos in the air for awhile. If they strung them together they'd look like kata.

Karate training, kata included, taught me to be able to strike at all kinds of angles to people's bodies, pads, bags, and even BOARDS! This striking includes focus and power. People rightly make fun of much training, but try some TMA stunts like the one where you break two or three boards held by five people surrounding you. To do this you have to hit hard and straight. Though I use this skill mostly to close my work truck's door with spinning back kicks doesn't mean it might not have real application.

Or try like we did in Wado instructor's class where Shihan taught us a new kata and after walking through it several times we then we did it fast 18 times with out a break. The muscle memory (to say nothing of the endurance [what the **** do you think OSU! means anyway?] and conditioning) learned is more precise than what is learned in sparring - the most important of the skills learned in sparring is probably overcoming fear, but that is another topic.
    That's not what Okinawan kata are for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2008 9:44am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading Bullshido for a while, I have grown to think of katas as sort of a dance, but those which do teach the moves, basically practicing in the air is sort of an okay predecessor to get form down. The reason you can't learn it while sparring is usually because you get really distracted sparring. This is why people hit things like bags. But hitting only bags isn't always good, because you won't be prepared for when you miss, for when an opponent dodges.

Hitting the air so to speak, helpsyou to recover if you 'miss', if you don't have the rebound of an impact to keep you on balance, I guess. It teaches to pull the fist back instead of have it bounce back, something like that.

It's good to have some dance and culture, different tempos and stuff.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast