Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 7:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shiden'issen Jujutsu?

Shiden'issen Jujutsu?
    Has anyone heard of this style? I found this website to this school and was hoping I could get an opinion from everyone. http://www.martialartsoftucson.com/

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 9:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This media package is pretty amazing for a martial arts place. The videos much better then most, and they don't show too much lame stuff. I made it through 5 minutes of the Jiu Jitsu and everything non-sword looked legit. The guys cutting stuff up with the sword was lame, but it is a marketing video so what can you expect. The FAQ addresses normal, realistic questions and does well answering them. Rates don't look like a total rip off and their facility looks good. They even have the word "safety" all over, and invite you to go visit!

What makes you think this is BS?

edit: yeah I'm new. Please don't beat me up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 10:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wasn't quite sure. You know the old addage, too good to be true.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Histpun
    Shiden'issen Jujutsu?
    Has anyone heard of this style? I found this website to this school and was hoping I could get an opinion from everyone. http://www.martialartsoftucson.com/
    Their pricing sucks. The "membership fee" makes it all pretty outrageous. Without it, you're paying $119/month for one art? You have to pay $30/month in addition to train another art. Plus, look at the schedule. You can't train any art more than three days a week and most are two days a week.

Let me put it to you this way. I could train at American Top Team Coconut Creek for about the same price, taking BJJ, submission wrestling, thai boxing, mma and boxing, as much as I want, seven days a week.

Plus, I see no sparring in the karate classes, just a bunch of line dancing katas.

I must say, their website is slick, but guess who is paying for it?

Looks kinda like a ripoff to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 2:16am

Style: Battojutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceslice
    This media package is pretty amazing for a martial arts place. The videos much better then most, and they don't show too much lame stuff. I made it through 5 minutes of the Jiu Jitsu and everything non-sword looked legit. The guys cutting stuff up with the sword was lame, but it is a marketing video so what can you expect. The FAQ addresses normal, realistic questions and does well answering them. Rates don't look like a total rip off and their facility looks good. They even have the word "safety" all over, and invite you to go visit!
    The package might be professional in terms of webdesign, but crap in terms of a martial arts school.
    I can suffice only that the karate might be shotokan or derived from it, the jujutsu 'shiden'issen jujutsu' not that it tells me much it, I still don't know what styles of Aikido or Tae Kwon Do are being taught.

There is no mention of what ranks the instructors hold, or if they're even permitted or competent to be teaching. There's no mention of who these instructors originally trained under, or for how long. There's a statement that shotokan karate originates from okinawa, i consider this misleading if not incorrect - but thats a matter for the style forum.
    Whilst I'm sure I could get these answers if I emailed or personally asked - possibly even by googling names, shouldn't these facts be presented to prospective students up front?

There's no history about 'shiden'issen jujutsu', and my attempts to google it only result in links to this Tucson MA school. The only reference I found to shiden issen, is some manga/anime called "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS", as some chararacter's special move. I can't find any references to Ryan Maza outside of the Tucson MA site either. I assume its a made up art, but I'd still like to know what it is based on.

To sumise, I want to know up front:
    Who is Teaching?
    What they have been taught?
    How long were they taught
    Who taught them
    What are they teaching
    How long have they been teaching

Membership fees are ridiculous. Unless they're giving you all your gear (including a sword) or you're training in a damn condo, then I don't justify charging $350 for membership plus $70.m, or $120/m for one art. Those prices are excessive even in aussie dollars to me.

What makes you think this is BS?
    I suspect marketing & profit is a more dominant goal to this school then teaching.

edit: yeah I'm new. Please don't beat me up.
    Thats what you get for straying from the shallows of newbietown - welcome to the deep end.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 5:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's really interesting is the merchandising section!

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made it through 5 minutes of the Jiu Jitsu and everything non-sword looked legit.
    One, in japan is jujutsu, gb2 brazil with your jiujitsu.

secondly, in japanese jujutsu there are weapon techniques.

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 5:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ShinShin Ryu Iaijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have questions about his sword work, never heard of this school. One Purple light sword style, the name alone makes me wonder. Some more information would be nice.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 5:50pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just took the time to bother watching the "Jujutsu" clip.

As someone who studies a *legitimate* koryu sword art let me say this; that was the biggest load of fucking shite I've seen in a while. I hope that isn't representative of what they actually teach.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 6:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / JJJ / Boxing / RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That school doesn't look good.

If You want BJJ, check out BB Martin Escobar's school in Tucson.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast