Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Scarola Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

All BJJ classes are taught by Joe Scarola and Tom Muller; both of which are sick Black Belts under Matt Serra, and incredible instructors. Striking is taught by Anthony D'Angelo.

This school is new, but it's getting big quick... and there's a reason for that :XXmonkey:
    Last edited by M-Tri; 9/11/2008 1:16pm at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any updates here? They've gone over to Gracie Barra but still the same instructors. I fear the name change may have directly effected the fees.
    Any students have info?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2013 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll necro this thread since it seems no one has responded to sway or fully reviewed the school for quite some time....

Scarola BJJ (Gracie Barra Long Island), New Hyde Park, NY:
    A little background... I've been training at GBLI for just about a month now after having trained in JJJ (Goshin Budo JJ) for about 12 years. I hold the rank of Shodan at my JJJ school and still train there once a week to stay sharp. I try to make it down to GBLI a minimum of twice a week.
    There are three core programs offered at GBLI: Fundamentals, Advanced and BB, which seems to be in sync with the standard GB curriculum (apparently GB has recently made some changes as far as standardizing their curriculum across all of their schools so I can't speak to what the school was like before they became affiliated).
    I've started off on the fundamentals track despite my prior experience and have found it to be a great program. I will update this review as I progress through the different programs...might be a while before I get to review the BB program though :)
    Fundamentals Class structure:
    -Light warmup/stretch. From checking out some GB vids on YouTube, they all seem to do the exact same warm up routine. I'm used o a bit of longer warm up/stretch (being on the wrong side of 30), but I also don't come here to get in shape (I workout pretty often on my own, as do most of the other students).
    -Simple self defense technique: Instructor will usually demonstrate the use of a simple technique that has some application to the street. Students work technique back and forth for 5-10 minutes. Honestly, I could do without this part, not because I think it's a waste of time, but because this style of training is what I've been doing my whole life... My only issue w/ the self defense techniques is that they don't teach you to hit people while performing them (at least they don't in the fundamentals class).
    -Ground/Positioning Drills: After the self defense technique, the instructor will usually get right into a ground technique from a particular position (top/bottom/guard etc.). The instructor ALWAYS shows the technique at least 3 times (not sure if this is school policy or GB policy, but it's good policy). After that, students pair off and practice the positional technique with light to moderate resistance (as you get more comfortable with the technique). Each technique is practiced for about 6 minutes and there are usually three techniques demonstrated during this portion of class, each one building on top of the other. The instruction has great flow in that each subsequent technique (after the first) shows a variation or counterattack defense of the first technique (i.e if you do x, and your opponent counters with y, you could try z).
    -Live position drilling: After working the position drills/techniques at 75%, it's "go time". We roll around and try to apply what we've just learned, each person taking turns in each position. This lasts about 15 minutes.
    -Live Rolling: After the live position drilling, we roll starting from ne-waza with a few different opponents for about 5 minutes each (typically 3 rounds). Pretty self explanatory, roll around, go for positions, go for subs... whatever you want.

For the numerical ratings (will do my best to estimate those categories I haven't directly been involved with, will try to update as I take more classes):
    Aliveness: 10 I was a little worries about how long it would take to actually roll during class. I have a few friends that train BJJ and they said I'd probably have to wait about 3 months before I got to do any rolling. Thankfully, they were wrong and I only had to wait about 30 minutes. As far as full contact sparring, the school does have a cage and I do see some guys mixing it up every now and then (getting pretty rough too), but I'm probably not qualified to assess any aspect of the school's "aliveness" other than the BJJ classes.
    -Equipment: 7. Not much required equipment for BJJ... as I said, there is a cage that looks pretty new so that's a plus. I haven't made it to a striking class so I'm not sure what kinds of pads/bags they have for that program.
    -Gym Size: 8. Probably about 1,500 sqft of mat space. Plenty of room to roll/spar. Classes have been about 15-20 students on average and I haven't noticed it get over-crowded yet. No bumping heads or rolling ankles.
    -Instructor/Student Ratio: 8. Fundamentals classes are usually led by some very experienced brown belts (6-8 years experience) and there's usually a few high/low blues and purples helping the newer students (such as myself). Overall, the instruction is top notch. The class leaders pay attention to every detail and communicate the techniques very effectively and having the more experienced students help out really makes a big difference.
    Atmosphere/Attitude: 10. GBLI is a meathead-free zone. Everyone really adopts the family/bjj for everyone mentality. I haven't met a jerk yet, seriously. Very little ego on the mat and lots of good sportsmanship. I consider my JJJ school to be fantastic in this area, and I've found GBLI to be just as good. I still bow when entering and leaving the mat (old habit that will never be broken) and according to GB "rules" everyone is supposed to do the same... but no one worries about it too much, if you bow, great, if not, no sweat. The GB rules are there on the wall, but I don't think anyone in the school takes them to be commandments. Attitude is always laid back when not training, and always intense when we are. Perfect balance.

Striking Instruction: N/A (haven't had a class yet)

Grappling instruction: 10. See above description of class structure. It's awesome.

Weapons: N/A. No exp here, I would doubt that it's taught, but I can't say for sure.

Cost: I signed up in January under a promotion and got my 1st month, a GB gi, and a 45 minute private class (haven't done it yet) for 199. Very good deal. Fundamentals program runs 155/mo for unlimited (I think there are 5 or 6 sessions per week). Advanced class tacks on 25/mo and roughly doubles the amount of class time.

Overall a great place to train. Family atmosphere, great instruction, nice facilities.

I'll update this as I progress, but perhaps someone already on one of the more advanced tracks will chime in and offer an opinion.

Hope it helps!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2013 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Duped
    Last edited by goshinbudoJJ; 2/15/2013 3:56pm at . Reason: Duped