Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 5:56pm

Style: BJJ-Caique, Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Entry Movement

I just finished a lesson where my instructor desrcibed three basic types of entry to strike:

Straight Forward:
    Move straight in to strike retreat at a 45 degree angle

Angled Entry:
    Move in at a 45 degree angle and retreat straight back from the new angle.

Circular:
    A decending spiral getting closer to your opponent.

The idea was none was better or worse than the other, but each would be better against a different opponent style. For instance: Angled beats Straight, Circular beats Angled, Straight beats Circular. Of course this is all very simplistic, but the idea is to identify what style of entry your opponent is favoring and adapt your attack to have the best chance of success. In the case of our lesson, it was hands only western boxing but I can imagine that it could be applicable for kickboxing as well.

What do you guys think of this?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 6:07pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMass
    I just finished a lesson where my instructor desrcibed three basic types of entry to strike:

Straight Forward:
    Move straight in to strike retreat at a 45 degree angle

Angled Entry:
    Move in at a 45 degree angle and retreat straight back from the new angle.

Circular:
    A decending spiral getting closer to your opponent.

The idea was none was better or worse than the other, but each would be better against a different opponent style. For instance: Angled beats Straight, Circular beats Angled, Straight beats Circular. Of course this is all very simplistic, but the idea is to identify what style of entry your opponent is favoring and adapt your attack to have the best chance of success. In the case of our lesson, it was hands only western boxing but I can imagine that it could be applicable for kickboxing as well.

What do you guys think of this?
    What do I think? I think your coach knows what he's talking about. For kickboxing you just have to change your foot work slightly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I think your coach knows what he's talking about.
    Thanks for the affirmation. I also think he knows what he is talking about.

I have nothing but respect for the guy. I have sparred with him and have seen him spar with guys a whole lot better than me, and he has skills. Plus he is a smart fighter, not just tough. I have also sparred with the old man that taught him for the last 14 years and he has impressive skills too. Unfortunately the only thing worse than my ground game is my standup. Since I can't crapple for a month, I am going to be focusing 100% on my stand up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 6:40pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that might have come off wrong. For kickboxing it's all about foot placement to adjust for the kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 8:14am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate is pretty keen on side/angled movement and attacks. See if you find anything in net, or see FQs savate episode to get the idea.

Edit: If this is for MMA style of fighting, disregard my advice.
    Last edited by Rubberduck; 3/02/2008 8:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 8:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, pretty much everything we do is geared toward MMA. I will still check out the net for vids.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    Savate is pretty keen on side/angled movement and attacks. See if you find anything in net, or see FQs savate episode to get the idea.

Edit: If this is for MMA style of fighting, disregard my advice.
    Because of the risk of takedowns?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 9:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally hate retreating straight back no matter what I'm pairing it with. I guess it can work against the right kind of fighter but since I don't have much reach I hate retreating straight back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 1:41pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Because of the risk of takedowns?
    Yup, thats the reason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I personally hate retreating straight back no matter what I'm pairing it with. I guess it can work against the right kind of fighter but since I don't have much reach I hate retreating straight back.
    When you step in at a 45 degree angle you are now angeled on the side of the guy. So retreating back it not a bad idea. When he adjusts to close the angle, I am ready to angle in again (either side) and strike. The first angle in makes the straight back retreat safe. Also I am not talking about really stepping back here. We are staying in strking distance, just resetting from a strike or combination. So I do not think that your reach would matter too much. In that training session we were really focusing on creating angles where you can hit him but he can not hit you. Much easier said than done, but thats why I pay for instruction and gym time. :-)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast