Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hakkoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by futrlawyer
    My father was trained by Nidai Soke Toshio Okuyama, and was given permission to form his own system, which he definately takes ownership for formulating. His Kendo, may not be his strongest asset, however he was trained by YOSHIJI OKUYAMA. Are you familiar with his techniques? I have some old VHS from when we used to live in Japan, while my father was in the milirary. It clearly shows who he was associated with. I have fond childhood memories of being at the Hombu (sp?). My father doesn't have an offical dojo, that he maintains, or that glaringly bears his name; but he has the knowledge, longevity, and the spirit to teach anyone, anywhere. His Dojo is in people's homes, basements, YMCA's, and he has trained military personel. I must respond in my father's defense. He loves Ju jitsu more than anything on earth, and would do nothing to degrade it. He may but his own "spin" on things by creating his own form. My teacher once told me that the information he gave me was for ME to make MYown so that I could apply it to MY life.
    I agree and trained with Joe (and was stationed with him) while I was at Yokota AB, Japan. I would love to see the old videos. I also have a video we made while my brother visited me from the states. Please contact me at the email listed below.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    scion0@gmail.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2010 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Modified Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found this particular thread. As I am preparing for a move to the Southern CA area, I began researching dojos there. As I have an interest in Hakko Ryu because of the Shiatsu techniques this was one of the first ones that I searched for. Of Course Soke Miller's website came up. There are pictures of his scrolls on the website, so I will assume his Hakko Ryu claims are valid.The quote from the website about the rectal bleeding and subsequent healing by with the Meridian line Shiatsu also fits, as Hakko Ryu is also known for its healing techniques via Shiatsu, which is like non-needle Accupuncture, and trust me, accupunture works.
    Doing more research, I discovered that almost, if not all non Japanese people have been expelled from Hakko Ryu. Nidai Soke is apparently racist towards all non Japanese, at least that is what it looks like from the surface, from all the expulsions and the wording about their views on "foreigners"
    Soke Miller's website also states the he trained with DePasquale and was given his referral to the Hakko Ryu Hombu from Soke DePasquale, which goes along with the guidelines set fourth on Hakko's website...
    I will continue my research into Soke Miller and hopefully meet him and get the opportunity to experience training with him. If I do, I will post my experience and opinions here. But so far, His Hakko Ryu credentials seem valid to me. I hope they are as I would very much like to study Hakko Ryu for the Meridian Line and Shiatsu techniques that it has.
    Just another note. Soke Miller's website doesn't appear to be McDojoish. I didn't really see any red flags that said BS artist trying to make money.
    So no, I wouldn't call him another Ashida Kim.
    Just my 2 cents.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2010 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Modified Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, the 9th degree that Soke Miller claims is not Hakko Ryu. It is Yoshisune, which does use the dan system. His ranking that he claims in Hakko is the traditional ranking system they use. I am typing this as I am also looking at his site in a different window. There is now a locator for his dojo in CA that actually takes you to it on the map. He is now in Sunland, CA.
    I will continue with updates on this as they come.

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 11:45am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to a couple of Soke Miller seminars, he comes off a reasonable guy. The kendo/iaido stuff he does is more of an accessory to the JJJ. WHen the guys at the dojo here do kendo they do a more continuous less rigid form of it. Everything The Ron mentioned adds up with the stuff I've heard and read about him. I wouldn't call bullshido on him.

IF you're into traditional JJJ and healing arts i'd recommend his style. My understanding is his guys in Mary Esther practice 3 types of JJJ, the traditional pressure point/meridian Hakkoryu style, Yoshitsune, and the self defense oriented Taizan Ryn style. If you're looking for strict competition kendo find a kendo school.

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 1:37pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it looks like since this thread was originally posted that the organization has taken some serious steps to get their kendo right. They are now affiliated with the AUSKF through the SEUSKF, and have close ties to Gulf Coast Kendo. Information is here. Unfortunately the goofy "kendo" pictures still appear in their gallery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 12:19pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the last video @ 1:40 he has to tell tori which wrist HE has to grab.

Hilarious
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12