Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 9:37am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 1:14 in this video, the guy actually fakes a heart attack/seziure. Really? Really? .....REALLY???
    YouTube - ESDS Samoobrona

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 9:45am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhope View Post
    The UC stuff looks 'Interesting' they are based near where my folks live, so maybe i may pay them a visit in the future.

Just a thought though, are we now using BJJ and MMA as a benchmark
    against which all other arts, systems, skills are measured? I have respect for those arts, and i am a big UFC fan. However, MMA in particular is a skill set evolved for a particular arena isnt it. In that arena you have a cage, referee, time limit, and of course a set of rules. Not saying some of the skills are not transferable, as of course they are. But it is not primarily SD or SP related is it?
    Seriously, do not start the Street vs Ring scenario in this thread. It is a strawman argument used as a last resort. Did you read Rock Ape's various posts? He is about as far away as you can get, until RECENTLY, from BJJ and the MMA. The arts used in MMA were and are designed for SD. Don't mix training for a competition RULESET with what the actual arts teach.

Thank you.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 11:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Did you read Rock Ape's various posts? He is about as far away as you can get, until RECENTLY, from BJJ and the MMA.
    Absolutely correct and just to expand upon what IiF stated about my background, up upon til September of 2008 I'd studied for 22 years in Aikido, primarily Aikikai but later Iwama Ryu. I'm also a long-term student of Koryu Iai, Muso Shinden Ryu to be specific and Kendo.

Non of those arts are anywhere near being good or easy or particularly effective as a means of self defence. It is only very recently (as of this new year) that I've taken up BJJ.

What's interesting to me is that the years of study I've enjoyed in Japanese martial traditions are in quite a stark contrast to BJJ and, hand on heart, after just 4 lessons what I've found is that I already feel more competent about bringing someone to the ground quickly and effectively - all be it very noobishly - than compared to all the years I spent studying and teaching Aiki.

Anyway, back on topic.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 4:31pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious how closely related to Taido Karate this stuff is? Taido is a karate style here in Atlanta that has produced successful Kickboxing amateurs.

Posted On:
    1/20/2011 6:35am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhope View Post
    t a thought though, are we now using BJJ and MMA as a benchmarkagainst which all other arts, systems, skills are measured?
    This site generally uses sport-based martial arts training (such as BJJ, MMA, Judo etc) as the benchmark for how other martial arts should be pressure tested.

It often comes across as a judgement of the arts, systems and skills, because poor,or often no pressure testing has a direct relation to the arts effectiveness.

I would say this is particularly true in TMA, where lack of pressure testing has effected the whole long-term development of some arts. In this case, it allows a move from individuals being unable to apply practical techniques under pressure, through to impractical techniques eventually being taught.

You can see all three stages described within my own style field:

1. Aikido has almost no pressure testing, near enough anywhere. As such, the art as a whole has become much less practical for actual conflict, and a lot of impractical techniques are taught.

2. Kali where I practice it has (as yet) almost no pressure testing, so students where I practice will be unlikely to pull it off for real. The art worldwide has lots of pressure testing, so as an art is still largely teaching a lot of practical technique.

3. Muay thai is being practiced under pressure in our class, and worldwide, so will turn out people able to apply it, both from our class and worldwide.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    I have no interest in your occupation Slavo and I don't doubt that you are who you say you are, that's not an issue for me at all.

I'm just interested in what makes ESDS apparently effective for what it's used for.

Can you point me in the direction of some really good examples of training videos? Ideally on-line.

Thank you
    Hi !

Sending to you a public link to a longer video. I put about 20 different sequencess filmed during different parts of training.
    The video includes tests, drills, exercises, scenarios etc... done at traing halls, discos, or other locations.

No particular order of the clips. Also no explanations are given to the sequences included in the videos.

So those are taken out of content.

I do hope this link will function if not please let me know. I am seldom at the forum beacuse of work so it is easiest to get in tocuh by send ing an e-mail.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12620352/Intro.wmv

Regarding the concept it is basicly:

* cover - to minimise the demage
    * counter as soon as possible - to sensitive areas
    * Get to safety / make a distance

We are trying to counter / hit or what ever you call that with open hands.

And no: I do not have any knowlegde regarding MMA and / or BJJ. Beside reading a few articles.

Sincerely Yours

Slavo

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 6:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could be my computer, but for me the link is not working.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    I could be my computer, but for me the link is not working.
    Maybe this one will function better

YouTube - Clips.flv

Take care

Slavo

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavo View Post
    Maybe this one will function better

YouTube - Clips.flv

Take care

Slavo
    Interesting footage!
    If you're ever doing a seminar or something in Holland, please send me a private message, hopefully I'll be able/allowed to attend one?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789