Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 2:29pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Try training at Extreme Couture and the Pit.
    Omega knows this, but I'll add it for those of you who don't.

Most pro MMA fighters also train with asymmetrical gear. For example, to train takedowns: attacker will wear little gloves & headgear, defender will wear 16oz boxing gloves & shinguards. This setup gives the attacker some protection while practicing takedowns against someone who's striking nearly full blast.

If they didn't do this sort of thing they wouldn't be able to go as hard as often, thus they'd be less well prepared in the cage/ring. It's really that simple...
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 3:08pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So pretty much what I'm getting out of this is that more gear means more options. For instance, with the headgear with face cage for ground and pound... you can practice your G&P on a bag on the floor or, hell, a basketball, whatever, but it won't let you practice targeting a squirming opponent trying to throw you off him.

And if you do a full-force G&P on somebody with less protection than that, you can either only do it to them once or you have a really shitty G&P. I'm honestly not a big fighter, but I'm a fan of asymmetrical drills like those Jack mentions above. It's not exactly like the real thing, but it lets you train it hard, repeatedly.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    What about cups and mouth guards while grappling? I've yet to find a mouth guard comfortable enough so I prefer to be without. I'm all for protecting the lego bricks but the basic non-brand mouth pieces feel really uncomfortable.
    uhh, i would disagree with you on the no mouthguards while grappling thing.

at the december nyc throwdown i caught a heel to the face when doing no gi grappling (he was going for an armbar from mount and accidentally smashed my face.)

if i hadn't been wearing my shock dr. mouthguard i would have lost at least 2 teeth (i know this cause 1 of them is still sore over 2 months later)

**** happens. wear your mouthguard. a little discomfort is better than a major dental bill and fake teeth for life.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 3:22pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LThornton
    So pretty much what I'm getting out of this is that more gear means more options. For instance, with the headgear with face cage for ground and pound... you can practice your G&P on a bag on the floor or, hell, a basketball, whatever, but it won't let you practice targeting a squirming opponent trying to throw you off him.

And if you do a full-force G&P on somebody with less protection than that, you can either only do it to them once or you have a really shitty G&P. I'm honestly not a big fighter, but I'm a fan of asymmetrical drills like those Jack mentions above. It's not exactly like the real thing, but it lets you train it hard, repeatedly.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 3:25pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Ding ding ding...we have a winner.
    Is my prize a G&P, and if so, do I get to wear headgear with a face cage?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 4:53pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    The places I've seen that train pro fighters and so forth do not use headgear very much if at all. Not even with knoobs.
    So why would Big Nog, of all people, train with headgear?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4AyNrCbaaA
    Could be that he wanted to save up his concussions for Heath Herring. Could be that he didn't want to get cut too close to his fight. Whatever the reason, my point is that there definitely are pro fighters who do wear headgear when they train.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I have a bunch of young guys training, egos come involved, even if I tell them to keep it at 50% it escalates most of the time. Better safe than sorry and it allows them to hit harder without injury.
    I stand corrected, this is an excellent point.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 5:18pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    What about cups and mouth guards while grappling? I've yet to find a mouth guard comfortable enough so I prefer to be without. I'm all for protecting the lego bricks but the basic non-brand mouth pieces feel really uncomfortable.

As for cup, 6 months of BJJ under the belt and no accidents yet. At our gym it's pretty much 50/50 on using them.
    I *now* always wear a mouth piece for anything non-compliant. A couple of years ago, I got a nasty chip on my top front incisor and split it up the middle. Just from a standing not-quite-a-headlock that turned into trying to crush my head. My jaw was pushed in such a way that my upper and lower incisors ground together.

I don't tend to wear a cup because it is so uncomfortable. Plus OHIP (our medical insurance) will pay for busted nuts, but not dental.

In general.... You don't have to wear equipment all the time, but it lets you try stuff you probably wouldn't train. Being too badass for pads will limit your game.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 6:36pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last week one of our guys was wearing one of those face cages, and everyone was making fun of him, including me. I dont like headgear (obviously). He was kicked full force in the face with a shin while he was doubled over. We stopped making fun of his face cage.

You BJJ guys dont wear cups? Gross.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, not wearing a cup justifies every grappling is gay joke ever.
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast