Posted On:
    2/29/2008 12:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    ... yo all this **** is expensive.

some of us are students.
    Do you have any second-hand sporting goods stores around, like "Play It Again, Sports"?

If you have any old equiptment you are looking to get rid of (skis, skateboard, bike) you could trade them in and get some gear that way.

Otherwise, check out the free weekly newspapers.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 2:50am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Headgear for anything involving grappling (including Muay Thai), is fucking gay. For boxing, ok...I guess.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 5:16am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega's Bitch
    Headgear for anything involving grappling (including Muay Thai), is fucking gay. For boxing, ok...I guess.
    I'm gonna out myself as a sometime ear guard wearing fag here. After the second syringe-ing I decided I didn't give a **** if I looked like I was gearing up for a water polo game. Only being able to sleep on one side sucks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The funny thing is after reading some of the detractors (OB and ?), I don't think you guys get it. You're both making assumptions. I never told you when you had to wear that head gear. I've got OB saying headgear is gay except when boxing and I'll add kickboxing. So basically you're arguing your own point.

If you have the gear I recommend it'll open up different ways you can train and simulate as many different scenarios as you can think of. I personally am not a big fan of wearing head gear either. I've got a cage though (You know octagon seen on UFC and WEC). If guys are in there they have an option of not wearing head gear as I don't have worry about their heads hitting some mirror, window or steel beam. If I'm drilling with a new guy, I'm sorry but I don't trust them to throw elbows at my face without fucking up so I'm going to get that cage on. If I have a bunch of young guys training, egos come involved, even if I tell them to keep it at 50% it escalates most of the time. Better safe than sorry and it allows them to hit harder without injury. If you can't appreciate this fine, now get off the thread.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember at the last San Diego throwdown Clyde pulled guard when sparring with Chris, and Chris started standing up and throwing some mock elbows. One clipped Clyde and he got a pretty decent cut from a pretty light strike. Not the end of the world, but like Omega has said things like that will take up your training time.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    You're young and you're the reason I made this thread.
    You know, Omega, I appreciate that ****. Really, I do. I think I may have a crush on you.

Headgear prevents more damage than it causes. If you don't agree come talk to me in 15 years when you've caught up to me in age. I never said it stopped concussions I said it helped reduce them. Broken noses do not cause concussions, being hit in the head does not neccessarily cause concussions. You need to get your facts correct if you're going to disagree.
    Wait. How old are you? Why do you assume I'm young?

Reasons not to wear headgear:
    Creates blind spots so you can't react correctly.
    Adds 1" to persons range so you can't train to react correctly
    Neck must support heavier gear especially after training for awhile.
    Those are in fact reasons to not wear headgear.

Those are your arguements, not the that they don't stop the majority of concussions where most people get hit.
    Do they in fact stop the majority of concussions?

Just to add. I know you're all brilliant and experienced and ****, Omega. Whereas I do not do nearly enough research before running my mouth. But, Omega, there is this:
    The places I've seen that train pro fighters and so forth do not use headgear very much if at all. Not even with knoobs.

And I still think that face cage **** is gay. Although I guess if you're throwing elbows and **** in training (why are you doing that, by the way) it's a decent idea. But why not use elbow pads and knee pads and so forth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    You know, Omega, I appreciate that ****. Really, I do. I think I may have a crush on you.

Wait. How old are you? Why do you assume I'm young?
    I'm not assuming it I know it. I've seen your videos, you're younger than me.

Those are in fact reasons to not wear headgear.
    Exactly but that doesn't mean you're never to wear head gear. I wear head gear so that guys 'will' throw hard at me. For some reason they'll go light if I don't wear them.

Do they in fact stop the majority of concussions?
    Actually yes they do. The ones where your head hits something other than a glove.

Just to add. I know you're all brilliant and experienced and ****, Omega. Whereas I do not do nearly enough research before running my mouth. But, Omega, there is this:
    The places I've seen that train pro fighters and so forth do not use headgear very much if at all. Not even with knoobs.
    Doesn't mean they're doing it right. Try training at Extreme Couture and the Pit. They wear head gear.

And I still think that face cage **** is gay. Although I guess if you're throwing elbows and **** in training (why are you doing that, by the way) it's a decent idea. But why not use elbow pads and knee pads and so forth?
    Even with elbow pads and knee pads, unless you're born like me, your nose can easily get busted up.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Doesn't mean they're doing it right. Try training at Extreme Couture and the Pit. They wear head gear.
    At all levels?
    I'll ask Guns next time I see him.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 2:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah at all levels. It's all dependent on what they're doing that day.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 2:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about cups and mouth guards while grappling? I've yet to find a mouth guard comfortable enough so I prefer to be without. I'm all for protecting the lego bricks but the basic non-brand mouth pieces feel really uncomfortable.

As for cup, 6 months of BJJ under the belt and no accidents yet. At our gym it's pretty much 50/50 on using them.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast