Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    A concussion can be caused by a blow to any part of the skulls or by acceleration forces. Anything that accelerates the brain with a force greater than what the cerebrospinal fluid can cushion will cause a concussion. Being in a car accident and being propelled forward while restrained by a seat belt (and thus causing the head to accelerate forward in a whiplash) can cause a concussion. In fact, car accidents are the primary cause of concussions.
    In other words, wrong-o!In the name of Baal, where the **** you get your info?
    ****! That's what I get for not looking **** up and not presenting it properly.

What I mean to say is this:

When a person is struck in the head, he gets rocked by blows to the chin and nose area more than anywhere else. This will result in the aforementioned acceleration of the brain to a greater extent than can be dealt with by the CSF. I doubt that a person can strike another person of similar weight on the forehead with enough force to cause a concussion.

The headgear does not protect the crucial areas. **** headgear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, what are your recommendations on headgear (brand, shape, characteristics, **** even color if that helps)?

Ground and Pound:

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, hold just a second. Do you reall mean to tell me that you make your students wear headgear with face cages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Weak

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In fact, car accidents are the primary cause of concussions.
    Well then, I had 4 'car accidents' at the dojo last year. We don't wear headgear.

Omega - how 'restrictive' is it to be wearing full gear and spar/roll?
    Last edited by Omega; 2/28/2008 11:57pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:56pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question

When a person is struck in the head, he gets rocked by blows to the chin and nose area more than anywhere else. This will result in the aforementioned acceleration of the brain to a greater extent than can be dealt with by the CSF. I doubt that a person can strike another person of similar weight on the forehead with enough force to cause a concussion.

You're young and you're the reason I made this thread. Headgear prevents more damage than it causes. If you don't agree come talk to me in 15 years when you've caught up to me in age. I never said it stopped concussions I said it helped reduce them. Broken noses do not cause concussions, being hit in the head does not neccessarily cause concussions. You need to get your facts correct if you're going to disagree.

Reasons not to wear headgear:
    Creates blind spots so you can't react correctly.
    Adds 1" to persons range so you can't train to react correctly
    Neck must support heavier gear especially after training for awhile.

Those are your arguements, not the that they don't stop the majority of concussions where most people get hit.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Well then, I had 4 'car accidents' at the dojo last year. We don't wear headgear.

Omega - how 'restrictive' is it to be wearing full gear and spar/roll?
    About the same as trying to roll with a gi. The idea is to eventually start stripping down the equipment you're wearing to pure essentials. You've got to give yourself a realistic idea of what full intensity feels like though because you reduce the energy as the padding comes off.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 12:01am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, hold just a second. Do you reall mean to tell me that you make your students wear headgear with face cages?
    When we're practicing ground and pound and I'm mounted dropping elbows, they're wearing a cage. If you go full force without one I'd love to see how many training partners you actually keep.

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 12:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    War Hendo. :5camoufla
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Enjoy your cuts then. And check Money's thread on the staph he got on his face and neck while you are at it :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast