solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    I think number 10 is the hardest opnes for noobs to learn. They always have trouble by either holding them to wide or too high. Or not meeting the punches, noobs and focus mits do not work, even noobs and thai pads do not work, lol. That is ine thing i want to emphasize on people paying more attention to. Becuz if your working with a partener and he holds the pads right and does well, then you will get more out of your training, so it would only be right to be able to return the favor. That is why everyone should learn how to hold pads, I think instructors should put a little more time into teaching pad holding technique, it really makes a big difference when your doing it right as opposed to doing it wrong.

IMO
    so true. i think that in an ideal world fighters should do pad work with a coach instead of each other, but that's just not practical in many schools.

my answer is to spend a good deal of time with noobs working on their pad holding technique, and when someone is bad at it, i tend to grab a pair of focus mitts, step in and tell them to stand off to the side, watch me and imitate the way i am doing it for the rest of the round.

i also make time for extra 1-on-1 pad work with anyone actively preparing for a fight.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 4:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Headgear is to prevent cuts and brain trauma. It's not useless though there are somethings that are detrimental about them.
    Cuts, yes. Brain trauma, what the ****? I was under the impression that the headgear only covers places that cause the brain to concuss when struck. If headgear covered the chin, then that would be a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:00pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that sensei broussard has some mad skills, but needs to work on his footwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:04pm

Style: MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chest guards for women- really important! I have had some really nasty knocks there and I use mine every time I spar now as well as the rest of my gear!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I don't even know how to respond, you're so fucking thin skinned about everything anyone says that doesn't hold for your world view, I imagine I'll go to trollshido for having any difference of opinion . I believe in fighting that works, but there is a middle ground somewhere in between being a Dan Henderson (World Class, top 5 in his weight group, if not several weight groups) and the classic Living Colour sketch, like your local boxing, wrestling, BJJ or Judo Coach.
    Hmmm interesting. No name calling just an observation on how I saw the video compared to you. Yet, here you go resorting to cursing and name calling again when someone disagrees with your observation.

Okay stay mad it really doesn't matter. This is Omega' sticky and I'll let you ruin it.

Cuts, yes. Brain trauma, what the ****? I was under the impression that the headgear only covers places that cause the brain to concuss when struck.
    Concussion is considered brain trauma.

So, yes it helps prevent brain trauma. You realize that is basically what you just wrote.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:13pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah the soft new fighting neophytes,

Back in the day, (pre UFC, pre Youtube) hockey helmets and boxing gloves in the basement, garage, and back yard cage, bring you MA style or just plain spazoid windmill...

But the idea that you wont suffer so many concussions, dats smartz, I mean we cant all be professional fighters can we? You might need that grey matter when you grow up.

Any info out there on the long term effects of joint hyperextension out there? All the old guys I train with have bad knees, shoulders and arthritis? Suck it up, works in the momment, but what about the next 50 years you need someone to tie your shoes?

First Post After Glow.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mouth guards also help to protect against concussion......or atleast Ive been told they do, am I correct?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I don't even know how to respond, you're so fucking thin skinned about everything anyone says that doesn't hold for your world view, I imagine I'll go to trollshido for having any difference of opinion . I believe in fighting that works, but there is a middle ground somewhere in between being a Dan Henderson (World Class, top 5 in his weight group, if not several weight groups) and the classic Living Colour sketch, like your local boxing, wrestling, BJJ or Judo Coach.
    Are you forgetting the standard MA world bubble before 1993 PPV where "Ashida Kim types" of the MA world were actually considered within the general MA community as worthy of the same "elite top 5" classification of trainers and fighters?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray jackson
    Grappling style shind guards? I didn't know there was such a thing, do recommend a specific brand?
    If you want cheap:

I personally like the regular combat sports grappling shin guards.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 5:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Cuts, yes. Brain trauma, what the ****? I was under the impression that the headgear only covers places that cause the brain to concuss when struck. If headgear covered the chin, then that would be a different story.
    *blank look...

Please tell my you just didn't answer your own arguement.
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast