Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 2:46pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So you want to train for real? I hate newbies:

So I train guys for all aspects of martial arts; both sport and combat. One of the things that drive me crazy is the in ability to understand the differance of being smart and being tough.

Proper equipment. If you seriously want to train no matter what level you are you're going to need the proper equipment. Now I'm addressing non weapons stuff so don't get started on this.

1. Mouth piece. Chipped teeth are not fun to deal with.
    2. Head gear-does not protect you from getting KTFO. It prevents cuts and reduces head trauma. Even if you're going light you should have your own unless you like to have ringworm on your face.
    3. Boxing gloves: 12oz or greater. Even if you're into 'th3 r34l st33t r34dy' fighting you need to know how to deal with punches and alive training is the only way to do it. If don't train with somebody really trying to punch you won't react properly when the situation really arises.
    4. MMA training gloves. See above and go to combat sport
    5. MMA grappling and competition gloves. For more realistic training.
    6. Shin pads. I don't care how well conditioned you shins are, you get to train more when you don't have bruises on your shin. I recommend grappling style.
    7. Groin protector. I personally don't wear it but I"m a kung-fu master. I tell my guys no crying if get hit down there.
    8. Headgear with face cage, for ground and pound practice.
    9. A pair of thai pads
    10. A pair of focus mitts. And learn how to use them.
    11. A proper kickshield; and learn how to use it.
    12. Chest protector; like the TKD style so can practice going to the body without hurting you partner so much.
    13. Knee and elbow pads: how are you supposed to know how to throw elbows for real unless you can throw them in a reasonable facsimile?

I always have guys in the gym not wearing proper equipment. They get hurt and I'm like "great, you're going to be out 2 weeks because you were too lazy or you felt you were going light enough that you didn't need it".

Now for this crap about MMA is a sport and not real life:
    Duh...
    I wish some of these new fuckers would get off this fucking trip.
    We here at bullshido fully acknowledge this but all I have to say is MMA training definitely beats this bullshit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE

And yes this stuff really does go on.

Many Krav Maga guys practice ground fighting and kickboxing. So if you're in reality based martial arts and you believe Krav Maga is one them, what conclusion should we come to?

Of course MMA is just a sport but who would you rather have your back in a dark alley:

This guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TSnpwx45Q

or this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjxefdFBrQ

I know the threads are going to keep appearing but I had the time and felt like ranting. I'm done.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What sort of elbow pads do you recommend?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 2:58pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    1. Mouth piece. Chipped teeth are not fun to deal with.
    Seriously. How do people not get this? If you are sparring for real, and not beating up on children or something you will get hit.
    I'm still nice enough to care if someone gets hurt but jesus christ how dumb can you be.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:03pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amen. Train hard, train smart.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:14pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with every thing Omega says on the gear and safety. I see these guys on the throw-down clips pummeling each other with no headgear or mouth pieces, etc, and think, WTF? You would never see that at any pro gym- the only thing that your doing is "testing" your abilities, not trying to get scars for bragging rights- "oh look, I have a cut over my eye, what a tough guy I must be.."

The only thing I found amusing was the "who would you rather have choice". I mean, it isn't really a choice- how many Dan Hendersons are there? It's like asking for Tiger Woods as your golf partner. The other thing is, some of the best "coaches" are not always great ex fighters, only observant, dedicated professionals- look at Matt Hughes- would you wnat him as your coach, amking you feel like **** all the time, and then taking credit for having a phenom like Danzig on his team.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:19pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling style shind guards? I didn't know there was such a thing, do recommend a specific brand?

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:27pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to mention, don't mouthguards protect somewhat against concussions as well?

I also had a friend who bit a hole in his tounge from a slam while not wearing a mouthguard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    The only thing I found amusing was the "who would you rather have choice". I mean, it isn't really a choice- how many Dan Hendersons are there? It's like asking for Tiger Woods as your golf partner. The other thing is, some of the best "coaches" are not always great ex fighters, only observant, dedicated professionals- look at Matt Hughes- would you wnat him as your coach, amking you feel like **** all the time, and then taking credit for having a phenom like Danzig on his team.
    It is a choice. Larp or learn how to fight.

IMO his example was more of you have three choices choreographed"stab me here," larping light sabers, or fighting that works.

Until I read your post, it didn't even enter my mind he meant go find a champion ex-fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:37pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think number 10 is the hardest opnes for noobs to learn. They always have trouble by either holding them to wide or too high. Or not meeting the punches, noobs and focus mits do not work, even noobs and thai pads do not work, lol. That is ine thing i want to emphasize on people paying more attention to. Becuz if your working with a partener and he holds the pads right and does well, then you will get more out of your training, so it would only be right to be able to return the favor. That is why everyone should learn how to hold pads, I think instructors should put a little more time into teaching pad holding technique, it really makes a big difference when your doing it right as opposed to doing it wrong.

IMO

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    7. Groin protector. I personally don't wear it but I"m a kung-fu master. I tell my guys no crying if get hit down there.
    Omega, what the ****, man? That's nuts, dude. Why don't you wear one? Vasectomies too expensive?

I never leave home without my cup. Hell motherfucking no. I even wear that **** to church.

Cup and mouthpiece, forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.
Page 1 of 35 1 234511 ... LastLast