Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 12:03pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Soy - What's the Big Deal?

Ryan Andrews and John Berardi on Soy

Soy is often hated on here. Precision Nutrition should clear up some soy myths often propagated.

Bottom line:
    Soy is a good protein, very healthy for you, and is bastardized as a processed food. 2 servings a day can be very beneficial, with a serving being around 1 cup of soymilk. Moderate doses of whole-food soy proteins really are no big deal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 12:12pm

Style: Boxing, Greco, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mac Danzig says:

Protein powders: I stay away from soy as a powdered protein supplement, and not because of the idiotic claim that it is "bad for men because it boosts estrogen" (which is complete nonsense), but because it doesn't have a full amino acid spectrum and has less protein content percentage... Instead of soy powder, I use brown rice protein from Nutri-Biotic brand when I'm looking for plain protein supplement. Nutri-Biotic Rice protein has an 80% protein content and all the amino acids. I also find that Rice protein is digested a lot easire than soy.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 12:15pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm ready for the venom to be spewed soon.

I'll just say this: there's nothing wrong with a balanced diet.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? You're telling me soy protein doesn't have large amounts of estrogenic compounds?

**** that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia beats semi-literate Bullshido posters
    Soy is also rich in estrogenic compounds such as genistein and daidzein, however, research is conflicting as to whether or not it can cause increases in estrogen in men.[15] Studies have found that in fact these compounds compete with estrogen for estrogen-receptors, leading to cognitive impairment in men.
    Last edited by The Question; 2/28/2008 1:10pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 1:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Equal, Splenda, and Sweet-n-Low cause cancer in large amounts.

Sugar causes obesity in large amounts.

Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids in large amounts can cause kidney and liver failure.

Sneezing in large amounts can cause brain damage.

Holding your breath too long can cause brain damage.

Laughing too hard can cause a loss of brain cells.

---

Soy, in large quantities, is just as bad as any other food in large quantities.

Moderation is king.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    What? You're telling me soy protein doesn't have large amounts of estrogenic compounds?

**** that.
    Yeah... wikipedia, the source of all knowlege. :bduh:

Soy is a fucking food, no more, no less. If you get boobs from eating 15lbs a day, you fuckin deserve them for eating so shitty.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Yeah... wikipedia, the source of all knowlege. :bduh:

Soy is a fucking food, no more, no less. If you get boobs from eating 15lbs a day, you fuckin deserve them for eating so shitty.
    Uhhhh. Dude, what the ****?

Check it:

I know people who are vegetarians, eat lots of tofu, and take soy protein supplements. That's a fucking terrible way to eat, but you know what, when you're vegetarian your protein sources are limited.

And wiki isn't my source of knowledge, wiki is just the quickest one I could dig up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having large amount of estrogenics do not necessarily imply one is going to get bitch tits.

Every single type of food out there has a potential side effect when eaten without moderation and/or when combined with other food products in large quantities. This is also dependent on the individual's overall health and level physical activity.

Soy is no different. You can eat lots of it combined with a good diet while training your ass hard and noone of you is going to grow bitch tits and a beautiful vagina that talks "Oh my God, that song 'Best of Both Worlds', you know, is, like, the bomb... and I was in the mall, kinda like chilling and I saw these red shoes that were, like, Oh my God, I got to get these shoes" with Hanna Montana's annoying little voice.

Really. Seriously.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 3:27pm

Style: Boxing, Greco, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Uhhhh. Dude, what the ****?

Check it:

I know people who are vegetarians, eat lots of tofu, and take soy protein supplements. That's a fucking terrible way to eat, but you know what, when you're vegetarian your protein sources are limited.

And wiki isn't my source of knowledge, wiki is just the quickest one I could dig up.
    I would not say vegetarians have limited sources of protein available. I really fucking hate the flower power-hippy-thin as a stick - image that some people still associate with vegetarian diet. If you know anything about nutritional requirements at all getting enough protein is astonishingly easy.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Legumes, soy, natto, tempeh, nuts, legumes, yeasts and whole grain bread.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast