Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    So how do you know when you should stop?
    After a while of training, you know. I'm mean, c'mon, can't you tell when you are reaching the point when you will only be able to do two more reps?

I'm not trying to be condescending, but this is a very simple concept. You will know, more or less, how much weight you can pump for, say 10, 15 reps in good form and without having to cheat or get assistance from your spotter on the last rep. And you will know with a degree of accuracy if you keep a log.

If you come to a point when your partner has to lightly help you you are reaching failure. If your partner has to pull the bar off you, you are way past failure. So, with that exercise in mind, and by counting how many reps you were able to complete at a constant speed for most reps and in good form for all reps, and by yourself, you now know that is your max for that particular number of sets.

All you have to do then is not stay just below that range. There are a lot of possibilities in training below that range.

If you are a bodybuilder or looking for a dramatic increase in size, are eating well and resting well (and specially if you are using steroids), you need to work to failure.

Otherwise, you do not.

--- edit ---

Emevas got it first.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 4:21am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh I can deadlift 185 lbs and I weigh 144 is that good? Like.. when I do deadlifting I follow Pavel's plan for stomache exercises and do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 mins of rest between sets...

I don't know a lot about how much weight is optimal to work with, however
    Last edited by Bhauk87; 3/02/2008 4:26am at .

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhauk87
    oh I can deadlift 185 lbs and I weigh 144 is that good? Like.. when I do deadlifting I follow Pavel's plan for stomache exercises and do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 mins of rest between sets...
    If that's your one rep-max (1RM), that would put you in the novice category according to these standards (not norms):

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

If that's the weight you use for a given # of reps, say 10, then use this online 1RM calculator to predict your 1RM, and then use that against the chart above to determine where you are in terms of strenght-by-bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhauk87
    I don't know a lot about how much weight is optimal to work with, however
    What are your goals? Strenght, size? Your goals will guide the optimal weight to work with.

---- EDIT ----

Oh wait, wait, when you said you deadlifted, are we talking about the normal, two-legged barbell deadlift, or a single-leg variant using kettlebells? I ask this because, well, it's Pavel stuff.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 3/02/2008 10:14am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good deadlift is always 100lbs away from your current max.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For now my goal I guess would be to enhance my fighting prowess without adding any weight at all.. by primarily using kettlebells for my own personal strength training (but I like dead lifting).

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any reason for the primary use of kettlebells? Are they the only heavy things you have access to?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel domesticated and silly using dumbbells and anything else in the gym besides me deadlifting

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 11:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some great things one can do with dumbbells (and I guess kbs, which I've never used). Such things could include one-leg variations of squats and deadlifts. But unless you use something heavy enough (two 120lbs+ dumbbells for example) the stimulus you get from a heavy lift will be hard to replicate with unilateral movements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 1:19pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pavel Tsatsouline also writes about the one-legged deadlift in his beyond bodybuilding book, might want to take a look. It seems like a third thing to add in to emphasize hip extension and hamstring flexibility moreso than the pistol.

It's easy to come down hard on him for some of the ways he markets things (tries to make it all uber-masculine) but if you look closer it's mainly a bit of comedy he throws in I think, making fun of people who are more serious about hyping that way, you can just sort of tell.

The joint lubrication stuff isn't really that BSey, he just has you move the joints around. Synovial fluid gets pumped in through movement right? If you're pressing heavy like he advocates, stuff like this is probably good to suck back in the stuff you squeezed out with all that compression.

I wasn't aware he was linked to Systema, I know it's a russian system, has he made reference to Mikael Ryabkov or something? I read his books prior to finding out about Systema so I would have missed out on that the first time around.

I haven't really seen him be that critical of other forms of exercise, it's incredibly unfair to compare him to Furey. His stuff is cheaper than Furey's, more effective, he doesn't sell BS gorilla/sex/chi/marketing courses, he doesn't badmouth weight training, he actually uses a legitimate variety of tools, and doesn't sell some video showing chinese contortionists doing ballistic stretches.

Obviously Dragon Door has this somewhat excessive kettlebell obsession, it's not a bad tool but probably does get undue focus at times. It's no different than CST with their clubbells though, I do like that they don't ignore the kettlebell and just state their reasons for preferring one tool over the other, while using both. I'd say for grip variety and differing stresses on the hand and wrist using all four (club/kettle/dumb/bar) is probably good, though obviously not all at once since that'd get overcomplicated.
    Last edited by tyciol; 3/03/2008 1:25pm at .

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do one-leg deadlifts on occasions, but I don't have kettlebells. Instead I use a pair of 80-pounder thickbars dumbbells I made (2" thickbar). 160lbs by itself is an easy lift. On one leg, that's a bitch, and more so when you have to grip those with a 2" handle. Sometimes I use the regular handles with more weight.

They are a good way to really hit the glutes, hamstrings and quads without hitting too much the lower back (which takes longer to recover than the other muscle groups just mentioned.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast