Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 10:49am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I broke my tibias in Summer '06 and I can already do full 1 legged squats

I am convinced thoroughly that all a martial artist needs to develope their legs is the use of jump ropes and 1 leged (pistol) squats

This isn't my own idea.. about 90% of my fitness knowledge is comprised of the stuff written by Pavel Tsatsouline...

I basicaly just learn from him and apply it without question.. and it has payed off...

his main ideas are that working your muscles to failure will only train you to be a failure.. and that the stomach should never be trained with repetition, but rather with high tension, and of course that at the simplest level strength is nothing more than tension itself

I love the guy's books, go give him all your money and buy kettlebells www.dragondoor.com

of course I made the thread to become aware of his criticiisms and such.. and to hear what other people think right off the bat.. it's all good

I'd just like to talk a little about his ideas
    Last edited by Bhauk87; 2/28/2008 11:13am at .

blotter art.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 9:08pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of the guy, but

"his main ideas are that working your muscles to failure will only train you to be a failure"

This sounds like a retarded idea to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aight.. how come?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    I've never heard of the guy, but

"his main ideas are that working your muscles to failure will only train you to be a failure"

This sounds like a retarded idea to me.

It's not. Training to failure is an old bodybuiding concept, it has very little applicability towards combat sports, strength training, olympic, powerlifting, etc etc.

Not training to failure isn't really revolutionary either, but that's aside from the point. Most people do not need to, nor should they train to failure.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 4:41am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhauk87
    aight.. how come?
    The burden of proof is on Pavel... and you.

Pavel is another Systema idiot who likes to make up alot of stuff on physical fitness. I suspect he wakes up at night with yet another way to lubricate your joints, writes it on a notepad, and then produces a video on it the next morning.

I'm not saying his ideas don't work... exercising and tension this or that will work all the time... just that the arguments that he levels against other forms of exercise and in support of his own aren't based in expertise... aside from the FUNCTIONAL TRAINING GOOD, ISOLATING BAD pop fitness that everyone else knows about already.

EDIT: He's right up there with Furey.
    Last edited by Rooster; 2/29/2008 4:44am at .

blotter art.

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 4:55am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    It's not. Training to failure is an old bodybuiding concept, it has very little applicability towards combat sports, strength training, olympic, powerlifting, etc etc.

Not training to failure isn't really revolutionary either, but that's aside from the point. Most people do not need to, nor should they train to failure.
    So how do you know when you should stop?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop before failure. Leave a few reps in the tank.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pavel does Systema? I thought he didn't like the Systema guys.

(I have no particular opinion on Pavel except that his books are oversized and overpriced for his market segment.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure he isn't a "Systema guy".. I'm pretty sure he's more of a "personal trainer".. he heavily condones kettlebell use for Karate/Muay Thai etc..

I like that when I'm passing the KB around my body it jerks my body with sudden changes of momentum thus hardening my body to impact and stuff it's cool

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    The burden of proof is on Pavel... and you.

Pavel is another Systema idiot who likes to make up alot of stuff on physical fitness. I suspect he wakes up at night with yet another way to lubricate your joints, writes it on a notepad, and then produces a video on it the next morning.

I'm not saying his ideas don't work... exercising and tension this or that will work all the time... just that the arguments that he levels against other forms of exercise and in support of his own aren't based in expertise... aside from the FUNCTIONAL TRAINING GOOD, ISOLATING BAD pop fitness that everyone else knows about already.

EDIT: He's right up there with Furey.
    Are you sure the Pavel you think you know of is the Pavel we usually talk about?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast