My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/01/2008 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar
    I do not mean to commit thread necromancy, but I was directed to this because I am looking at this school. In this thread I see nothing that says this guy is bullshido other than his extravagent prices and a guy in the demo sucks. There are good students and there are bad students.
    The demo sucked period. Regardless of the student. Demos at lest should show some technical mastery by the teacher. This showed sloppiness on both sides.

As for this:

"... 'random' attacks from teenagers trying to 'prove' themselves worthy enough to get into a gang...

... getting caught in a 'drive-by' shooting in a drug-infested neighborhood...

... domestic violence situations...

... the violent and often suicidal actions committed in schools and workplaces...

... and now, the added threat of global terrorists bringing their blood-thirsty violence to our shores. "

I have been to Sunbury (known in our area as "Scumbury") many times. Everything except the terroists is a very real daily threat in Scumbury. There have been murders and double murders there in recent months and years. This even prompted him to open free weekly self-defense classes to women (the most common victim here).
    I gaurantee you that both my hometown (Miami, FL) and where I'm stationed now have more violence than anywhere in PA.

Look at these claims. Seriously the only that is really worth anything is the domestic violence. I'm from one of the most gang infested cities in the US. I have NEVER been attacked by a random teen trying to get into a gang. Gangs usually require being "jumped in" where the gang members beat the crap out of you to see if you can take it, girls have the option of being "sexed in" where they are gang banged, or they will ask you to do work against a rival gang. Attack random pple who aren't affiliated brings too much heat.

What prepares you to deal with a drive-by? Why are you in a drug infested neighborhood? If you can afford these classes why can't you afford to live somewhere else?

School and workplace shootings, although devestating, are actually rare. Pple mistake the popularity in the media (ie when one occurs we hear about it for months) to frequency. IIRC there have been less than 50 school shooting in the last 50yrs. Thats a rather small number. Besides what is he going to teach you for those situations? Run, Hide, hope not to get shot? Isn't that common sense. Trying to take on a gunman unarmed or even with a
    knife is extremely risky and the odds are against you.

WTF does this guy know about terrorism? He is like many in the RBSD world trying to cash in on the fear.

A good rule of thumb when dealing with ANYONE trying to sell stuff like this, look to see how many pple who deal with violence on a regular basis (Police, Military, Corrections Officer, Doorman, etc) train with him and use his material. Don't get suckered by things like "Trained X police force, special forces, commandos, whathaveyou) without actually looking at what he did. I actually do train elite soldiers but I am an instructor in the only official Army system. Even with that sometimes pple are brought in to do seminars and such. Sometimes these pple are good sometimes they suck bad and whatever they taught is immediately discarded after they left.

If this guy did not know his stuff I think I would have heard something about it by now.
    Not true.

Many many many pple get away with peddling crap all the time. Women's self defense classes are on of the easiest ways to do it. Why? Because the clientele generally doesn't know **** about actual SD. They are willing believe anything thrown at them if they think it will empower them. Remember the Jennifer Lopez movie ENOUGH? (if you don't don't fret it was a shitty movie anyways) it had women flocking to Krav Maga schools thinking it will help them handle big tough mean men. Well they get fed CRAP! I, and many others can attest to, that Krav Maga peddled to soccer moms is nothing like Krav Maga trained by professionals who gave it the reputation of being an effective system in the first place.

Ever hear of the "Human Stun gun" guy? He had been teaching for YEARS pple said the same thing you just did but when what he taught as SD was put to the test it failed miserably. Even after that his students still believe in the crap they were fed.

Bottomline the whole he must be good or we would have heard something by now thing falls flat because the only way you will know if someone knows their stuff is either you witness a) the teacher's proficiency with the material against others not of his school or b) his students applying the instructers teaching on a consistent basis.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 2:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iíve met (stayed at the same guest house) and trained (class partner at a Hatsumi class) with Jeff Miller whilst I was in Japan. From what I remember heís a very nice down to earth guy and an experienced police officer. By his own admission he considers himself a good 6th Dan and not 10th Dan (his rank). Make of that what you will.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 6:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar
    In this thread I see nothing that says this guy is bullshido other than his extravagent prices and a guy in the demo sucks.
    the technique itself was pretty bad. not the way he performed it, but the standing wristlock takedown thing itself. awful.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Theory
    Iíve met (stayed at the same guest house) and trained (class partner at a Hatsumi class) with Jeff Miller whilst I was in Japan. From what I remember heís a very nice down to earth guy and an experienced police officer. By his own admission he considers himself a good 6th Dan and not 10th Dan (his rank). Make of that what you will.
    He might be a great guy and his heart in the right place. Doesn't mean he isn't peddling BS.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 8:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    He might be a great guy and his heart in the right place. Doesn't mean he isn't peddling BS.
    Never said he wasn't ;)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The second student's strait punch was awesome. I'll pay 15k to learn that punch. Especially if I get to have some of those split toe shoes. Do you get a free pair of shoes?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 11:02am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With that kind of cash, I would expect some better video production...LOL.

I bet those uniforms go very well in the gang trodden streets...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crappy kuzushi with a completely compliant partner.

There's a reason his Utube video has comments disabled.

He may or may not be a great guy.

Personally, I'd rather do summer camp with a good fishing guide.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 1:25pm

Style: TKD, Arnis, Catch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I get the chance I will sit in on one of his classes. Also I have been looking for his students at tournaments. I heard they go to them but so far I haven't seen any of them.

I cannot comment on his wrist take down. To me it looks great. But then I suck takedowns. I am taught it, but I suck at it.

I do have to admit that his adveritising is over the top like most guys selling crap.

http://kuden.mypodcast.com/ What do you guys make of what he says on his podcasts? He sounds like he knows his stuff.

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 4:00pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow an anti terrorist attack technique...
    To quote Katt Williams: How do you scare somebody that wanna die?
    - I'm a kill u!
    - Thank u verry much.
    So a chi ball will deflect the dynamite vest exploding? Or wrist tekedown and detonator controll?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast