Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2002 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been interested in this particular system for a while now, but from some of the rumors circulating around the net, the guy seems a little fishy in his proclaimed background, not yet to mention the outrageous cost that will get you certified that makes anyone who can afford to pay become a CDT certified instructor - a system that doesn't require its students to constantly train to earn their ranks and certifications just doesn't hold much legitimacy to me. Though I am more interested in the so called "non-violent" system of self-defense that won't injure your opponent. Any one with experience attending CDT classes or seminars care to share their experiences? Do the techniques really work, or only so with cooperative training partner? How are the techniques in this system any different than say joint-locking, joint-control, joint-manipulation or pressure point techniques as offered in other arts or system such as Combat Hapkido, Jiu-Jit-Su, etc. Is there something in this particular system that is unique that other systems don't have to offer? please enlighten me.
  2. Michael

Posted On:
    10/12/2002 2:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well truthfully I don't know great detail about it but I have been on the recieving end of a few of their techniques.....They have about 40% effectiveness. Better than some but not so great if your life depended upon it.

Combat Hapkido? lol good one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2002 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I was serious about the Combat Hapkido. Their founder is John Pelegreni. I have been to quite a few of their seminars. It's a lot different than traditional Hapkido that they eliminate all the fancy kicks and the useless finishing poses they often do after they perform their techniques. The style is mostly concentrated on joint locks and manipulations, with emphasis on stand-up striking, trapping, ground grappling and weapons such as knives and escrimas. Pretty effective against an average thug but won't win you any MMA match if you ask me. They don't do a whole lot of fancy ground submissions like arm bars or leg locks, prefering to adopt simple ground strikes, reversal or dirty techniques like pinching sensitive skin spots, biting, ear pulling, groin strike, etc. But I will choose this over traditional HKD anyday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2002 4:37am

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was always wondering about the combat hapkido stuff. I've seen ads in MA magazines for years but I've never seen any of it. I've learned about traditonal hapkido through books and a little bit of actual study. I won't lie, it was only about 4 classes. I didn't like it too much. Too much time spent on wrist grabs and such. Not very realistic. It was better then the TKD that I was being taught though. But about the CDT. I think it's a joke. I saw an article in Black Belt and on the front page was one of the most rediculas things I've ever seen. One guy using a nerve point under the cheek bone and pressing two 'attacker's' heads together and them incapable of moving because of the pain. : D Whaaaatever. I actually saw that nerve technique in the Steven Segal movie Under Siege 2. Like any system there's probably a few good things it teaches, but I think it's 90% B.S. Maybe more like 95%.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2002 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I have to agree, that most HKD systems concentrate too much on defence against wrist grabs or other non-realistic situations. But one thing that bugs me the most especially about traditional HKD is the way they finish their techniques with rediculous poses that serves nothing more than to make you look good. Anyhow, if there's a HKD system that seems more effective than others I will have to say it's Combat HKD, well by the look of it, I don't even think it should be called HKD, but more like a JKD system with incoporation of techniques from other systems like ground stuff from BJJ, mid range trapping of WT, or joint locks of HKD. The system's apparent weakness however, seems to be the stand-up striking from what I have seen. Striking serves more of a distraction and setting-up tools that follows up with joint locks, take downs or chokes. So you won't see many classes teaching jab-cross-low roundhouse kick combos kind of striking that you see in MMA.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    10/17/2002 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat HKD sounds strangely familiar to old school Jiu-Jitsu...

just an observation :)

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2002 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you would like to find out more about CDT just call tom personaly. and when you call him not only ask him about CDT, but also about his background and his training. Get ready for a steven seagal story. this guy does more talking than a politician on election day. also ask him about all the high profile people he has worked for as a bodyguard. some names he'll throw at you are Van Halen, Michael Jackson, Chris Rock, Janet Reno, Spice Girls the list goes on, but i'll spare you. and on top of having the time to work for all these people he also trained overseas for 8 years in the secert art called Hom do. ohh and also ask him about driving a truck for UPS in his spare time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i too was interested in CDT training. i've been in the martial arts for 14 years and became interested in CDT when a friend told me he was going to take the course in florida. after reading and doing some research on Patire and CDT. i've come accross alot of questions on him CDT and his training. this makes me think twice about him and his system. Anyone know any truth about this guy? before i choose a system to train in i'd like to know the facts and details as to what i'm getting into.

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 6:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think hapkido spends far to much energy and time on techniques you arnt likly to use. For example you might have thirty ways to break out of a wrist lock I think this is abit of an over kill.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I got to see the Train for Life video series, and the techniques will work as demonstrated. That means if your attacker walks up to you grabs your hand and doesn't pull you or hit you you'll have plenty of time to hit the V-point on the back of his hand hard, causing him to let go.

Or if someone chokes you but remains still you'll be able to kick him in the shin causing his hands to fly off of your neck. Very common attack Tom tells us.

Or if someone mounts you and doesn't start hitting you, you can reach inside their inner thigh and pinch them causing them to dismount you and writh in pain.

All techniques will cause the assailants nervous system to shut down for 3 seconds letting you escape.

I have a friend that took the course and believes that it'll work. The techniques will work if you have strong hands and a opponent with a low pain tolerence. I agree with the 40% percent success rate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast