Weak

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aging effects of pain - Answers needed!

Does pain, from the various injuries we incur during training, place stress on the nervous sytem and thus accelerate the process of ageing (of internal organs, skin, joints etc.)?

I haven't really read any articles showing this link but would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

(Or just tell me if I'm being stupid)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 10:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know but I do know the more active you are the "younger" your organs and muscles are so it's a give an take.

One article I recently read on aging said inflammation ages us.

Training can cause inflammation however there are many anti inflamatory processes one can use to address that.

Ice and Advil

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would seem to me that although pain can (and will) age a person, it would all depend on the frequency and type of pain as well as other factors.

For example, we know that regular, hard (and reasonable) exercise slows down aging (assuming the person is in good health, is hydrated and eating and resting well.) Physical exercise incurs in pain, which is just a sign of physical adaptation. So we have pain being the side effect of an anti-agent process: exercise.

Also, not all forms of pain are the same. That is chronic pain on the joints =/= pain from a hip or femur fracture or internal bleeding. I would only be concerned with serious traumatic events, but not from pain that comes from hard (and yet reasonable) physical training.

There are other factors that have a more potent aging such as poor nutrition, lack of sleep, smoking, grave exposure to toxins (.ie. botulism), etc. And just as there are factors and agents that accelerate aging, there also factors/agents that decelarte the aging process.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 11:30pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Does pain, from the various injuries we incur during training, place stress on the nervous sytem and thus accelerate the process of ageing (of internal organs, skin, joints etc.)?

I haven't really read any articles showing this link but would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

(Or just tell me if I'm being stupid)
    I think you'd need to qualify your question further. Chronic injuries/pain can be impactful - but, I think you'd need to look at it from the perspective of either -

a) Psychological effect - i.e. person is mentally impacted by chronic pain, attitudinally their lifestyle changes, exercise less, extensive med use which can have side-effects that drive an inactivity cycle - weight gain, downward spiral - ultimately impacting health - "ageing" the individual

b) Physiological effect - probably one of the easiest examples is some form of chronic spinal injury/pain. Not sufficient to disable an individual but enough to prevent them performing many of the physical activities they previously took part in. In this case, no matter what the individual mental attitude may be, the debilitating effects of their injury is impactful to their health - again does it "age" them from the from the classical medical point of view? No, but the impact on their health generally may mean they then present with the kind of symptoms you would normally expect from someone considerably older.

For non-chronic injuries (i.e. short term), the physiological impact of healing these is not a quantifiable impact on age. By extension, if it was, any individual suffering significant/substantial traumatic injury would, with limited exceptions, die at a markedly earlier age vs. normal population distribution and I don't believe thats the case.

So, in short, I doubt you'd see a causal link.
    Last edited by Marrt; 2/25/2008 11:34pm at .

Weak

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 11:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marrt - I left the question open as to that regard as I really don't know much about this area. Thanks for the response though.

I do acknowledge that there are many other factors that have a more potent effect on the ageing of the body etc. Just wanted to know where pain fit in. TeM, nice response.

I guess when you're already living a pretty healthy lifestyle (I'm drug, smoke, alcohol free, veg based diet, exercise 6-8 times a week, lift, get good sleep regularly etc.) you want to fine tune things even more. Injuries stress me out as I have to tone down my training and I get quite edgy, don't sleep well from the stress of not being able to workout to full capacity. I guess I have to work on my psychological response to injury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 11:56pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience has been if you want to age badly dont exercise and dont have a diet plan. I think regular exercise especially a mix of weights and cardio has really fixed up my bad back, knees, painful wrists and given me a lot of energy back.

Avoid training which has an unacceptable injury risk, or seek to reduce the risks as much as possible by always working on getting the technique right and stopping training when you get tired and therefore sloppy.

There's a real movement now to getting older people doing weights because it can really turn back the ageing process. Similarly, eating less has been found to be very beneficial for avoiding cancers and living longer. Rats on a starvation diet have outlived control groups by huge amounts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2008 3:12pm

Style: MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Lily!

I just hit 30 so I'm really thinking hard about the ageing process! I think being healthy is really important! Just stay off the booze and keep hitting people. :D

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/26/2008 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marrt - I left the question open as to that regard as I really don't know much about this area. Thanks for the response though.

I do acknowledge that there are many other factors that have a more potent effect on the ageing of the body etc. Just wanted to know where pain fit in. TeM, nice response.

I guess when you're already living a pretty healthy lifestyle (I'm drug, smoke, alcohol free, veg based diet, exercise 6-8 times a week, lift, get good sleep regularly etc.) you want to fine tune things even more. Injuries stress me out as I have to tone down my training and I get quite edgy, don't sleep well from the stress of not being able to workout to full capacity. I guess I have to work on my psychological response to injury.
    I think the stress you're adding to your life by worrying about aging when you're in fabulous shape is what will end up causing the most harm.

I eat poorly, work too much, excercise too much, don't sleep enough, and spend waaaaaay too much time masturbating, and I'm not worried about any kind of bad health effects.

You seem to have it covered, stop stressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Weak

Posted On:
    2/26/2008 4:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Su!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Thanks for the advice, I guess I want to make sure my insides are in good shape because then the rest falls into place.

? - thanks for that. You seem to be in good shape on the outside but you're young. The effects of what you're doing now (eating poorly, working out too much etc.) are going to show. Don't you want to take control of that? Who told you masturbating is bad?

Antiquated

Posted On:
    2/26/2008 4:38pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

? - thanks for that. You seem to be in good shape on the outside but you're young. The effects of what you're doing now (eating poorly, working out too much etc.) are going to show. Don't you want to take control of that? Who told you masturbating is bad?
    Jesus did.

You Pagan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast