I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it
Posted On:3/03/2008 10:45am
Style: Improv comedy
By the way he get's bonus points for a new _ing_un spelling
Posted On:3/03/2008 10:46am
Style: Wing Tsun
sorry 'your next' .. didn't see your reply. Yeah but dubious methods? I don't know, lots of great man have been putted in a negative light. I don't believe anything in what the media tells me but judge on the individual who I meet and what that individual teaches me..
There is to much stuff bended, turned around, coocked, eaten, spitten out and coocked again and then told to the public. Just like rafiki told Timon and Pumba: look beyond what you see bru =)
Posted On:3/03/2008 11:06am
Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga
That's fine, but don't be blinded by flashy moves and bit titles.
There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Posted On:3/03/2008 11:13am
what do you guys think of captain chris anyway?.. i mean.. come on..
Posted On:3/04/2008 3:46am
Style: Chow Gar / Eskrima
Well I heard a couple of versions, the EWTO version which I take with a very big pinch of salt and from Tam Yiu Ming (ex HK WT) who gave him the contact for Allan Fong. Like I say from what I have seen and heard he knows the material for the grade he claims
Posted On:5/13/2008 9:37am
Style: Reality Self Defense
I personally studied under Allan Fong and I know now GRANDMASTER (OMG) Sergio.
AllanFongs Wing Tsjun is over rated and teaches Leung Ting version of WT, he only teached the forms, long pole, broad swords and wooden dummy. There is no FIGHTING application being taught.
His studnts quickly left him once he incoporated Sergio's Chi Sim Wing Chun into the mix, He turn a little idea into a massive HORRIBLE IDEA.
Sergio absolutly knows Wing Tsjun but he was kicked out of the EWTO for a reason, there is no loyalty to the ART.
However a GRANDMASTER? OMG!
Posted On:5/14/2008 8:01am
I am surprised Fong teaches no fighting apps, when I trained with Sifu Tam in HK WT first thing we did was put on boxing gloves and spar, I thought it was the HK way rather than the "no sparring" EWTO way that pushed out the nordic countries
Posted On:2/28/2010 8:37am
I studied Wing Tjun as taught by Sergio Iadarola for two years. On numerous occasions I attended his seminars and examinations for obtaining grades. I have a few comments on Sergio and his school, please remember these are my personal opinions towards him and IWKA. If you feel I'm mistaken, please say so. Also, when I started training with IWKA it was solely Ip Man WT, not a Weng Chun combo or Siu Lam WT combo.
First off, the good:
- I feel he has reasonable knowledge of Wing Tjun and the style he based this on: Wing Tsun (Leung Ting / EWTO system).
- He's a funny guy and motivated to instruct.
- He set up a clear training curriculum, with well structured exams, goals, grades, etc.
- Yes, the system does include fighting apps and sparring.
Now the bad:
- He charges a lot of money for everything. It will cost you dearly no climb the ranks in the IWKA system. But hey, that happens all over the world.
- He is constantly disrespects other martial arts and other WC/WT systems, saying how "stupid" these people are for punching/grappling in a certain way. As I was also an avid Karate practitioner at the time I was an IWKA member, I found this offensive, arrogant and really freakin' annoying. He proclaimed that his WT was the ONLY right way to fight.
- He uses people to forward himself and his organization. I have too many examples of this to mention but basically the way he made every progression in his career seems to be based on using and deceiving people. How he learned the dummy, bart cham dao and long pole forms, to Weng Chun from GM Hoffman, etc. A lot of national and international schools and inividuals have broken ties with IWKA because it's quite obvious what his goal is in life. Certainly not promoting honesty and clarity in WT, as was his original intent when creating IWKA. "The truth is out"... sure, Sergio. But not in the way you expected. Brings me to my next point:
- It's all marketing and personal gain with this guy. He keeps changing the IWKA, incorporating new styles (using people to help him, then dump them). In itself not really bad, actually updating your style is a good idea. But it's HOW he does it: First, Ip Man WT was the ONLY GOOD WT according to Sergio. THe rest was lies and bullshit he said repeatedly. Then he teamed up with GM Hoffman of Weng Chun, and created the NEW, IMPROVED system. Saying "I am the ONLY Sifu who knows the WHOLE system... the WHOLE truth." Then he broke off with Hoffman and now he appears to me grandmaster of another style; Siu Lam WT. During all this, many schools left his organization, seeing that he has dubious claims and methods.
Rediculous anecdote on Sergio:
During one of my examinations he demonstrated a special skill. He was able to lengthen his arm by forcing chi through it. Looking at him from the left side , he stretched out both arms. Then he started to put tension on both arms, pushing outward (like in Siu Nim Tao form). Then he showed us that his right arm was longer than the left. Everyone was clapping their hands and saying how amazing it was, obviously not realizing that he just turned is hips and right shoulder joint more inward than the left side of his body. For me, it was the final straw. As a scientist, I also do not believe people can walk over water. Unless the water is really really really shallow. Come on guys....
I think Myamoto Musashi warns us of teachers like these in his book. In sum, if you want to train WT going to Sergio's school will help you. But be critical towards this guy; he's smart and cunning. Personally, I like him as a teacher, but dislike him as a grandmaster of a style. I would expect more integrity and humility from such a person.
Posted On:8/11/2011 6:41am
Style: Northern Shaolin, Wing Chun
Wow, thanx, that was very well said and explained. As with anything always be on your guard and think for yourself. I do enjoy his videos on Youtube as he shows the different styles out there, and I always wonder where the heck he gets the money to travel? Now I know!
Posted On:10/21/2011 4:56pm
Style: wing chun
guys ive been studying wing chun with the IWKA system for now a year. Im not going to try to defend anything here but i just wanted to say that the system does make sense. it is absolutely not a cheap lineage of wing chun and the system is complete. IWKA might be a new lineage but it does not mean it is not effective.
Articles and Reviews
Tools and Info