Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 11:10pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Season 2 for the Reality Fight Shows

So, both Fight Quest & Human Weapon have provided a lot of material for discussion & have proven entertaining & annoying to various degrees. Their first seasons are now coming to an end.

If these programs are continued next fall what do people hope will change & what do people hope will be preserved?

I, personally, like Fight Quest better than Human Weapon due to it's lower BS levels but both shows had their moments.

I think the area that could use some improvement/reinvention is the casting of the hosts. Human Weapon had 1 host who was good at BJJ, wrestling, boxing, muay thai, & stick fighting & who had been a pro MMA fighter & it's other host was Bill Duff. I don't think having 1 skilled guy & 1 idiot is the way to go. Fight Quest had 2 hosts, one of whom had done some boxing, some wrestling & some BJJ & the other of whom had done the same stuff but was a little better. Having hosts with near identical styles isn't interesting either (although the both Fight Quest guys seemed likable & that is important).

Here's my suggestion for season 2 of Fight Quest: Get new hosts. Specifically, get 1 striker & 1 grappler so that each will have a distinct style & perspective. Make sure each is really good at what they do (1 complaint I've heard is that the hosts were unextraordinary in their skills). For the striker, I say get the Olympic boxer from the Mexico City episode & then find some elite level wrestler to pair him with. That way each host would have an area where he was an expert & an area where he was a novice but even within their area of expertise there would be things that were new to them (kicking & subs, respectively). I think this would make for an interesting dynamic & some good television.

Also, Fight Quest should keep it's formula of choosing a single training location but allow the hosts more time to interact (as they do on Human Weapon). This might mean only training in 1 place per style or having the hosts meet regularly between training sessions.

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 11:15pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like pretty much all of your suggestions. Having 2 hosts who are basically the same fighter with different levels of experience is pretty bland, and having Bill Duff defeats the purpose of them training in...well anything other than American Muscle style.

I kina like the different training sessions for each FQ host, but they do need to have more time for the hosts to interact. Like you said, maybe they could meet between training sessions.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 11:28pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 11:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWombat
    Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar!
    *Mental image of kimbo and brock doing chi sao*

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 11:44pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PBF & Stone-Cold

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 11:57pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    PBF & Stone-Cold
    Stone Cold would make most of any show way more entertaining, but the fights would be so boring.

Stone Cold Stunner > All. Cause Vince Tortelli's av. says so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 1:55am

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure that the OP's idea for having hosts who were only skilled in one area/range is such a great idea. It seems to me that the only reason the fight quest hosts can pick up any usable skills in 5 days is that they already have well-rounded skills to start with.

Say you take a boxer who has never thrown a kick in his life and try to teach him TKD, for example, in a couple days and then have him fight at the end. Do you really expect to see anything related to TKD from him when the pressure is on? Your probably going to get a disaster.

Someone like Jimmy, on the other hand, already knows how to kick so he can pick something up from them, or from boxing because he can already punch, or from Judo because he can already grapple, etc

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 1:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we can pick any two hosts in the world:

Host 1: Some pretty boy Olympic TKDer with six pack abs (Brings in the females, and the TMA crowd.)

Host 2: Don Frye. (Brings in the MMA crowd, the rednecks, the cowboys, the firefighters, and people who like mustaches.)

Hilarity ensues!

Although the image of Stone Cold giving a Pentjack Silat Master a Stunner followed by a beer bath and two middle fingers is quite appealing as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy
    I'm not sure that the OP's idea for having hosts who were only skilled in one area/range is such a great idea. It seems to me that the only reason the fight quest hosts can pick up any usable skills in 5 days is that they already have well-rounded skills to start with.

Say you take a boxer who has never thrown a kick in his life and try to teach him TKD, for example, in a couple days and then have him fight at the end. Do you really expect to see anything related to TKD from him when the pressure is on? Your probably going to get a disaster.
    Yup.

There was a British show a few years ago that brought in reasonably athletic non-fighters and tried to train them in various historical combat styles (gladiatorial fighting, Renaissance-era two handed sword fencing, etc.) but it just didn't work. The production schedule didn't give them enough time to train so the show was mostly about how difficult it was for them to pick up the basics, followed by some pretty feeble "fights" at the end of each episode in which the trainees basically just flailed around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 4:27am

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy

Someone like Jimmy, on the other hand, already knows how to kick so he can pick something up from them, or from boxing because he can already punch, or from Judo because he can already grapple, etc
    See Last One Standing. The competitors are in the same situation a wrestler learning TKD for five days would be. That show sucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast