Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 12:06am

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossbolt
    What's a good way to increase the time I can hold my breath? I swim about once a week. Every time I mostly practice swimming completely underwater. I guess I should jsut stick to laps huh? Thanks for posting by the way, it was a good read.
    Moar practice. Push yourself a little further each time you swim underwater. Try to get relaxed before you start, hold still for a few minutes, try to lower your heart rate as much as possible, and make sure your stroke is smooth underwater. I try to zone out and get an almost sleepy feeling before I start. You can also try to 'packet' air before, forcing extra mouthfuls in your lungs, but that wont really help you till you are more advanced.

Doing static(non moving) breath hold intervals throughout the day might help you a little, but static and dynamic breatholding are two pretty different things, same for out of water vs in water. I can do 3:00 Static underwater, but dynamic, only 50 yards underwater.

DONT hyperventilate before, and NEVER do any sort of breath holding in the water without a buddy/spotter who is looking after you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 2:23pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    Thank you. And thanks for adding what you know about Hypoxic drills, i never did much myself, except for coach saying, 'Try not to breath so often, its slowin ya down.' Good times. And not that it really matters, OP is a chick, thats why they asked for pics...

I never really got into Water Polo, as i said, but i know its hard work.

Reasnably priced pool memberships are a thing of the past. Except at my pool. They're pretty decent if i do say so myself. And the staff are nicer. [/blatant plug]

whoops my apologies to the OP ma'am i should never assume. carry on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 3:05pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    As someone who competed for over a decade in swimming my comment on the whole thread is swimming will help if you're a fatty otherwise not so much.

Swimming only becomes good exercise when you're swimming hard for an hour and a half. Running is much more efficient.

i agree that running is quite an efficient cardio workout, what sort of yardage at what target heart rate were you thinking of for swimming? in general when I would swim, we'd would try to get our HR between 160-180 for about 2000 yds (for example 20x 100 on 1:20 pace) obviously most people are not able to maintain that pace for an hour and a half. so we would add in drills, kick work, sprint work. I do agree that a good swim takes about an hour at minimum

this amounts to fantastic training as a competitive swimmer sprinter or otherwise. Upa Lumpa is what you're saying that the particular mechanics of running is more efficient for martial arts? on average what sort of mileage at what heart rate is a good run?

I would venture the statement that unless one has a foundation in constructing and executing a proper swimming work out, then they would probably be better off running for cardio as opposed to trying to learn how to swim for the purpose of cardio training. otherwise i like swimming more than running hence why I swam in hs.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456