Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 5:03pm

Style: BJJ/grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

resting

I'm relatively new to martial arts, so I have a question about training. Is it better to alternatingly train intensely and lightly, in order to give your body a rest, or is it better to train with full exertion every day? If I were to do weight training one day, should I do it the next day as well? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 5:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell fucking no. You are most likely one of us normal people who do not have extreme physical recovery properties (unless you take steroids.)

You will find the weight training at your peak everyday will lower your peak.
    You body needs proper nutrients and rest to regrow the muscles after working out.

Post your workout schedule.

Ideally I train upper body one day, then rest a whole day, then do lower body the day after that.
    Then another whole day of rest.
    The idea is to concentrate the body's growth to maximize it, so the flow of nutrients doesn't have too much competition.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's right. Not a single beneficial change takes place WHILE you're working out. Prematurely stressing your body again is not only going to cut you short of gains, but also of, possibly, just breaking even.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 6:13pm

Style: BJJ/grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hard sparring

ok, but would you consider full contact grappling to be a full exertion workout? Like if you did a significant amount of full contact grappling one day, but no weight training, coudl you do weight training the next day and be okay?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends. :D

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 7:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    full contact grappling? is there penetration?

it depends how sore your muscles are the next day
    and that depends on the nutrients you intake and your personal growth/recovery rates

when I'm sore after grappling I don't work those body parts...
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/11/2003 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you guys think about seasons? I mean, I usually train harder in the summer and easier in the winter. Kind of like pro athletes have an off season period where they rebuild.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2003 12:12am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were you I'd think about doing a sport specific type of weight training to help out whatever other training that your doing. Make sure that you put whatever is more importnt comes first eg. train for grappeling first then hit the gym for size. Technique first max effort second. As for the resting question try taking off different amounts of time and see what works best for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2003 10:58am

Style: Chu-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rule of thumb: don't train the parts that are sore. If your never sore train harder not longer.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2003 11:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't put too much stock in soreness if one is sticking consistently to a given routine. It seems to have more to do with unfamiliarity of a momvement, than it does with strict intensity. I've been doing sumo dead lifts for a while now til concentric failure, but if I were to simply switch exercises (say, to the hack squat) I gaurantee I'd feel sore after even 50% intensity...but then it'd subside with successive workouts.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast