Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 1:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting Fit For MT

Hi guys, first of all i would like to introduce myself, I'm Pablo from Chile(Yes, it's a real country).

I have been doing MT for a couple of months already, first clasess i could barely finish them, as i would get very tired without even throwing a punch or a kick (The exercise at the start of the class was kinda hard for me tbh).

Now i can do it without problems, BUT, there are some classes, where i get really tired and i can't really move a muscle while im doing some drills that involve kicking a lot or just Sparring.

What should i eat/drink before class? How much time before class i should stop Eating or drinking? It seems that eating may be a problem for me, as im kinda skinny (gained like 6-7 kilos in the last month tho).

Is there anything that i should work on so i can increase my stamina? It's getting kinda annoying to not being able to give my best as im pretty much useless after a couple of sparring rounds.

Thanks a lot!
    Greetings from Chile.
    PS: Sorry for my english, been working on it last couple months tho.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sometimes eat a banana half an hour before class, apart from that I got nothing, sorry.

Good stamina takes a while to build up though, someone else might have more useful advice regarding extra training etc.

Welcome to Bullshido.

P.S. your English is good, don't apologise for it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 5:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found running helped my fitness for MT....

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 5:33am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many times a week do you go to class?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 8:57am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing more MT itself will get you ready for MT. I encountered the same thing when I started BJJ. First month, I could only go once a week, with my whole body constantly sore because of the very nuanced movements of grappling. Second month, I started to go a couple of times a week if I could handle it. By month 4, I was going 3-4 times a week, feeling no soreness, and adapting to it very well.

This process repeated itself when I started MT. If you stick with it, your body will adapt. You're just sore because everything is new and your body isn't used to the movements yet. It'll get better.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    How many times a week do you go to class?
    ^^^^ Yep. This is the million-dollar question.

I'd actually suggest the OP to tone it down a little for a couple of weeks and the come back. He's been doing this for months, and if he's been going at it with much frequency, maybe he's reaching a plateau.

People always think about training and training, but never schedule rest time (I've made that mistake countless of times). And there is a point where the body cannot adapt further because it is always too tired to recover and adapt. So a short break might be in order.

As for what to eat, I always suggest glutamine, but its availability and affordability may be in question down in Chile (I'm from Nicaragua btw.) What he can do is take lots of vitamin C supplementation during the day. Lots!!!! 2000mg at least... in addition to whatever he'd get from food.. This makes a lot of difference.

.... or maybe that's just the nature of Muay Thai, and there will always be some classes that are going to suck and physically drain you real bad :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 12:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys! Thanks a lot for all the Answers!

Actually im Going 3-4 Times a Week, Each Session Being a 2.5 Hour Class. I really don't get sore/tired afterwards MT anymore, i mean, i feel perfectly now even when yesterday i couldn't run even if i had to after like 4-5 3 minutes rounds/thai pad work.(this being in class itself)

My father told me that i should do exercises to increase my anaerobic performance. I actually have an "Elliptical Bike" in home so i can do a little "running" in there everyday, and i could get to a gym if i really needed to. Any exercise that u guys recommend to increase my stamina? Someone told me that i should sprint/jog resembling mt rounds, as "sprinting 80-95%" for 3 mins and jogging for 1 min to recover, repeating as many rounds i think i will be doing.

Thanks a lot!
    Greetings from Chile.
    Last edited by ignitH; 2/23/2008 12:56pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sprint/jog recommendation is spot on, and you can do tabata sets on the eliptical bikes (search for tabata sets or tabata intervals) for a couple of 2-3 minute rounds. Having said that, how often you can do these things depend on how often you train.

That is, more doesn't necessarily mean better. I still believe you should just scale it down a little. If you feel you are having problems adapting to your current physical training, what makes you think adding additional physical training on top what's on your plate will help you?

A body that's constantly exhausted cannot recover. If it cannot recover, it cannot adapt, and if it cannot adapt, it cannot get better.

I'd take a complete week off, of everything. Rest, sleep and eat well. Then take 2 classes a week for a couple of weeks. Let your body rest.

Then on the third week, while still training twice a week, add one or two 10-to-20-minute conditioning workouts a week (sprint/jog or tabata sets on your bike) on the days you do not train martial arts.... AND NO MORE THAN THAT!!!

Keep sleeping, resting and eating well. Do the same on the fourth week. Make sure you eat lean and healthy, and that you don't overeat.

Then by the fifth week, go back to your original training schedule and depending how you feel, add an additional conditioning workout every week or every other week (again, on a day when you are not training martial arts.)

The hardest part of all is in knowing when to get some rest because we always feel we are being lazy. But we are not, we are being intelligent.

Don't just train hard. Train intelligently.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/23/2008 6:37pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignitH
    Hi guys! Thanks a lot for all the Answers!

Actually im Going 3-4 Times a Week, Each Session Being a 2.5 Hour Class. I really don't get sore/tired afterwards MT anymore, i mean, i feel perfectly now even when yesterday i couldn't run even if i had to after like 4-5 3 minutes rounds/thai pad work.(this being in class itself)
    Sounds fine. Stick with it.

My father told me that i should do exercises to increase my anaerobic performance. I actually have an "Elliptical Bike" in home so i can do a little "running" in there everyday, and i could get to a gym if i really needed to. Any exercise that u guys recommend to increase my stamina? Someone told me that i should sprint/jog resembling mt rounds, as "sprinting 80-95%" for 3 mins and jogging for 1 min to recover, repeating as many rounds i think i will be doing.
    I would be very surprised if you were actually able to sustain a sprint for a whole 3 minutes.
    Unless you are a genetic freak, you will think you are sprinting but actually just jogging/running a bit faster and kidding yourself without activating the fast-twitch muscle fibres.

Try sprinting for 30 seconds, then jogging for 30.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 7:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I would be very surprised if you were actually able to sustain a sprint for a whole 3 minutes.
    Unless you are a genetic freak, you will think you are sprinting but actually just jogging/running a bit faster and kidding yourself without activating the fast-twitch muscle fibres.

Try sprinting for 30 seconds, then jogging for 30.
    Have to say u where right on this one, i ended up doing some training i found on the web (30 sec sprint 30 sec jog) needless to say that after the rutine was over, i couldn't run even if my life depended on it :P.

Btw it's not an "after-class" problem el macho, its in the class itself, i don't get sore/or tired after doing mt, its just that sometimes i can't keep up with the class itself.

On another Subject, i think i really need to put on some weight, and my father(that is really into bodybuilding) told me that i could took some of his weight gainers, do this things really work? im 5'8" and i my weight is 122 pounds, should i go ahead and take this stuff to gain a little weight?. He has some stuff called "gnc Weight Gainer 2200" and "Universal Real Gains".

Thanks a lot guys!
    Last edited by ignitH; 2/23/2008 7:20pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast