Posted On:
    2/21/2008 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Stretch with Resistance Bands

Meathedz!

The following are some videoclips by Coach Dick Hartzell, who is almost 70 years old can do a split cold turkey. They are part of a video series made available by Elite Fitness on youtube for stretching using resistance bands. The entire playlist can be seen here.

I've been watching these for some time, and I've decided to put the ones I've found most useful in a given order. I think following the exercises in the order given below make up a good stretching/strenghtening routine.

Many of these routines can be done with a rope or non-stretching bands, but some do require some sort of stretch band to be effective. Watch them and see if anything in there can be incorporated into your routines.

Enjoy.

Hamstring and Groin Stretching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzgDhFnZvO4

IT Band Stretch, Quad, Hip Flexor Stretching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwR8FB91F0

Hip Flexor and Groin Stretching and Knee Strenght

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x38YkM6de3c

Lower Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBQjvxew5U

Pec/Anterior Deltoid Stretch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urEV8e-lwhI

Elbow Stretch & Carpal Tunnel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpJ7ruI12Y

Shoulder Treatment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlsXyrlodCI

Back Traction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQwpjnThYs
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 8:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stil-Tu-Fat Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started watching the first one, and it physically hurts me when he does the stretch. Damn I need to work on my flexibility. Good stuff, thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2008 5:24pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At last - someone else who can spot the value of a self assisted exercise like using yoga bands.

Got a basic set about a month ago now - an yup! they are good for so many things flexwise.

One of the things I use then for, is for practising side-kicks with resistance.

you have one end over your foot, the other you hold in the the hand that's opposet to the foot being used to kick (left foot - right hand or vice versa).
    Then you go for your kick..

in a slow and gentle fashion - (a snappy side kick without a target can be a bit of a jolt to the joints).

AS you extend your leg, your posture should adjust as it would do to perform the said kick at normal speed ( IE your body acts as a counter balance to your leg - your opposite arm moves back with elbow bent slightly)

because the arm moves away from the opposet leg and your leg is extending - the band gets tighter.
    Repeating this for ten counts or however many you feel happy doing without falling into an overworked heap, then swap sides and follow the same proceedure.
    I found using the band like this seems to gain me a better posture when doing the kick at speed... and my outer thigh muscles feel more 'used'
    It may not be an exercise that anyone who's been doing a strike orientated MA for a long time will really say 'wow - that's worked wonders a miracle!!'
    for the rest of us mortals though - it does help in getting a bit more balance and tone during kicking.

At some point I may put a video on youtube just to show how it works...
    for now hope this little brief explaination is enough to be getting on with.

:idea1:

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 3:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, just thought I'd mention that all these videos have been taken down. Does anyone know of other good videos?

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 11:16pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarquis View Post
    At last - someone else who can spot the value of a self assisted exercise like using yoga bands.
    They aren't 'yoga bands' and everyone in the world of serious physicalism has probably used them at least once.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    They aren't 'yoga bands' and everyone in the world of serious physicalism has probably used them at least once.
    Dammit you're right (why'd I type that).... I do understand there's a difference...

'yoga' bands are the puny low budget version... (overlaying a few sets at a time works a little better but it's still not the genuine article ).

Many yoga sites seem to advocate using resistance bands (they also sell them - surprise, surprise).... maybe that's where my confusion came from.

Think it would be an idea to invest in the genuine article.... pretty sure there's an exercise available using resistance bands that would help with injury recovery/reconditioning of weakened muscle groups.

Thanks for pointing that weird typo out...

:new_all_c:laughing7 :dead:

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 3:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you meant by 'yoga bands' that yoga invented the practice, which is definitely not true.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    I thought you meant by 'yoga bands' that yoga invented the practice, which is definitely not true.
    I see... Well, glad that's cleared up then...

Trouble is, the more I looked about on the net and that.... the more I'm thinking of buying some...

TBH they vary a hell of alot in price.
    It's the kind of thing it seems best to see in the flesh, so I can actually see what I'm getting.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IronWoody and Jumpstretch make very good bands.

If you're feeling cheap your local foam/rubber supplier probably has some kind of high-tensile rubber you could use.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know of any updated links (e.g. working ones)?