Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 3:39pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Minor rant about recent threads of "Real Masters"

Based on some recent threads championing the “real skills” of several different “Masters” lately I felt a need to purge myself of the poison that has infected my body after reading these posts.

I think a major symptom of a weak martial art is when the focus is on the skills of the elite and the everyday participant derives vicarious gratification from the stories of the successes of their instructor, master or grandmaster while their own skills remain untested and to be honest most likely unusable. Worse yet is the fact that these stories are anecdotal and unproven.

As a BJJ player I much more interested in building and testing my own skills. I may use the skills of the elite players as a yardstick for my game but it is not the way I measure my own successes.

I find it galling when these people post vids of choreographed demos as proof of skills. Cry from the rooftops how their master has defeated gangs of rabid mma bikers and do everything they can to defend their art except get on the mat or in the ring and prove it for themselves.

There, I feel better now. I had a good hard night of rolling and the comments of these “Martial Artists” were more offensive that normal. Rant over.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 3:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *claps*

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 3:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *stands and begins a slow clap montage*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 3:51pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    *stands and begins a slow clap montage*
    . I'll join you.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *camera zooms out to wide shot and pans skyward showing a beatiful sunset* annnnnnnnnndddddddddddd /scene

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i started a thread a while back that was relevant to this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53017
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Based on some recent threads championing the “real skills” of several different “Masters” lately I felt a need to purge myself of the poison that has infected my body after reading these posts.

I think a major symptom of a weak martial art is when the focus is on the skills of the elite and the everyday participant derives vicarious gratification from the stories of the successes of their instructor, master or grandmaster while their own skills remain untested and to be honest most likely unusable. Worse yet is the fact that these stories are anecdotal and unproven.

As a BJJ player I much more interested in building and testing my own skills. I may use the skills of the elite players as a yardstick for my game but it is not the way I measure my own successes.

I find it galling when these people post vids of choreographed demos as proof of skills. Cry from the rooftops how their master has defeated gangs of rabid mma bikers and do everything they can to defend their art except get on the mat or in the ring and prove it for themselves.

There, I feel better now. I had a good hard night of rolling and the comments of these “Martial Artists” were more offensive that normal. Rant over.
    So by "Minor Rant", what you really mean is "Some old ****: rehashed and repackaged".

I don't even understand why you care.

People who think choreographed demos show skill are deluded, but that's been covered. So has all that other ****. But at this point, it's whatever, man.
    Last edited by The Question; 2/21/2008 4:05pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    So by "Minor Rant", what you really mean is "Some old ****: rehashed and repackaged".

I don't even understand why you care.

People who think choreographed demos show skill are deluded, but that's been covered. So has all that other ****. But at this point, it's whatever, man.
    You're right, his thread topic has been beaten to death. Please deliver us from this tedious drivel with another fascinating thread on your life of fail. <-sarcasm?

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 4:11pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    You're right, his thread topic has been beaten to death. Please deliver us from this tedious drivel with another fascinating thread on your life of fail. <-sarcasm?
    Owned, Pwned and Zwned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 4:12pm

Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ......post credit 'true story' blurb

m1K3 took this rant, and with his loyal band of bullshido brothers toured the land far and wide, preaching the honest word of true Martial Artisis everywhere..

'Show me' he said.' No, no explanations needed, just show me. Yes, you, not him-do I look like I'm talking to him? Put on your gloves and gumshield. Now show me how it works while i try and bite you to death.....'

And slowly, over the years M1K3 and his friends converted many many chunners and booj ninjers. Systema was all but banished from the land. Thousands of Korean stylists waved their legs ineffectually until thtey saw the many small shiny lights that accompanied a good RNC. They handed in their accelerated plan Black Belts, got some rash vests and heavyweight Gi's and joined the ever increasing number of good MMA gyms, swelling the numbers following M1K3.

The good fight still goes on.......

(fade to black.....)
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast