Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Battlefields, you spewed bullshit. You convinced us that you had no clue what you were talking about fairly quickly, especially with your completely bullshit attempts to translate Korean. Had you not acted like a know-it-all, the reception you received would have been very different.

Your subsequent post was par for the course for a troll. It was passive aggressive Faulkner; full of sound & fury. Signifying nothing.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Excuse me, this thread is not for discussiom about Hapkido. It's for discussion of how Vinh & I can score poji in KTown using Hapkido pick up lines.
    BAHAHAHAHA....poji.

"You habu 100 dorrar you habu poji"
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 1:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by djstat2000
    I am in hapkido and it is not too bad. My instructor is Korean and he went back to Korea and came back and several of the schools there are emphasizing a muay thai or boxing principles. Alot more padwork, bagwork and combinations.
    We were discussing GM Ji on another thread and I understand that his philosophy is that whatever works for you is you HKD and that you shouldn't define what HKD is by just a set of techniques performed in a set way. Sometimes technique needs to be tweaked to adjust for the person using it. This doen't make the technique wrong as long as it works. Adding in MT or boxing principals to help make your HKD work is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by battlefield
    instead I find little boys on thier parents computers purporting to be big men
    Ok..You are definitely clueless.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 6:26pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Derauslander and It Is Fake, at no stage did I claim I knew it all, I gave my account of what had happened in my life and the events and reasons that lead me to choose to study hapkido. It is not a work of ill-researched fiction. However, I'd like to hear your version of the translation of hapkido, derauslander. I'm done with offering insults, if you can school me, go ahead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 12:55pm

Style: Kendo & Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my first post on the TKD and other Korean Martial Arts forum.

My main art is taekwondo, but I took up hapkido about a year ago and just earned my green belt/blue tag (5th geub), so my hapkido experience will be fairly limited.

I took it up because I enjoyed the strikes of taekwondo, but wanted to round out my training more. My instructor was a hapkido instructor in the ROK special forces, so when he offered the class, I jumped at the opportunity.

So far, we've done breakfalls, rolls, and lots of locks, some grapples and some throws. Lots of kicks, though nothing that I haven't gotten from taekwondo. The big exception seems to be that the kicks are focused more low to midline and I'd never done a crouching spinning hook kick (or a crouching any kick for that matter) in taekwondo. Lots of punches; way more than I get in taekwondo.

In any case, so far I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

Daniel

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 3:06pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapgido is "the Way of Unified Energy" or "Energy Unification". The translation that you wafted about is pseudophilosophical bullshit.

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 3:45pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why Hapkido...Why?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 8:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    Why Hapkido...Why?
    Because Billy Jack could kick Steven Segal's ass. That's why. :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 1:38pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my 12 year olds could kick his ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got into Hapkido after having visited a number of MA places in my city because:
    -The instructors were/are fantastic
    -The class looked like a lot of fun
    and,
    -It was and still is run by an man with proper qualifications.

That was six years ago and since then I've come a long way.
    Hapkido in addition to being sometimes wildly different from school to school
    seems to have a serious problem with quality control, perhaps similarly
    to Taekwondo. There's a lot of people running off to start their own places
    claiming that they're Masters or Grandmasters usually to the detriment of things.
    Even Grandmaster Ji is decrepit from various substances ravaging his health, which really gets to the heart of the issue: today there just aren't very many real martial artists who practice something they call HKD, only some of them teach, and not a whole lot of people are long term students anyway, completeing the vicious cycle.

If you can manage to track down a good school though you're in for first class MA training. In the likely event that you cannot do so find another school that teaches proper martial arts. There is more to the MMA zealotry on this website and beyond than just rabid fandom.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast