Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:14pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how quickly do you think we'd get into a fight if we went up to random girls and were like grab my wrist?

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    how quickly do you think we'd get into a fight if we went up to random girls and were like grab my wrist?

Not as quickly as if you said, " Grab my Member"

:ingun:
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the funny part about all this is, in KTOWN, i'm not sure if the girls would understand either one of those comments.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the funny part about all this is, in KTOWN, i'm not sure if the girls would understand either one of those comments.

You just have to speak the right language -> :jerkit2yf= :20bux:

:la:= :20bux::20bux:

:lame:= :20bux::20bux::20bux:

:sex:= :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

( or so I hear, I wouldn't know, of course)

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... yeah no, the brothels are all in flushing.

room salons aren't brothels. and **** son, i'm a poor ass college student.

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... yeah no, the brothels are all in flushing.

room salons aren't brothels. and **** son, i'm a poor ass college student.

Maybe they'll give you a discount.
    :flipando:

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... korean gangstas... are you shitting me? remember i'm vietnamese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 9:05pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Because last month it was a flood of ATA threads, this month it's HKD...
    Ohhhhh, okay.

At least the ATA threads were somewhat interesting to read.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/21/2008 9:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not as quick as last time, I'm sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2008 7:17am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In honour of unofficial 'hapkido sucks' month on the KMA forums, and to bring this thread vaguely back to the topic, let me share some memories from my brief stint doing hapkido training. This was years ago, when I was still training in taekwondo. My taekwondo instructor had previously trained in judo, and occasionally tried to teach us some (in retrospect, I wish he'd tried a bit harder) but I was terrible at it. I wanted to do some cross-training, and I thought hapkido would be like judo, but with kicks. Obviously, I was wrong in general, but in the case of the club I chose, I was exceptionally wrong. I only trained on and off for about four months.

Here is the more retarded things I remember from my time as a hapkido-in... IN LIST FORM!

- They were so freaking anal about how we lined up. If the lines weren't perfectly straight and even at all times - including in the warm-up - you could bet a lecture was coming. Even if you needed to take a step forward or back for extra space, it had to be done after one specific command, but before another, or too bad, YOU HAD NO SPACE. They weren't particularly anal about other things, just obsessive about this. They would often waste like ten minutes of class time on this.

- When we did something called 'kwon sul' (not sure exactly what it translates to - punching/hand something - but it was essentially a lame four-directional pattern), we had to scream "KWON SUL!" as we went into the ready stance. No reason was ever given for this.

- They had loads of bags and pads, hanging bags, a speedball, bag gloves... but we almost never used them. Many of the gloves sat next to the unused bags in their original packaging. We rarely did any punching, anyway, so maybe no one knew how to use them.

- The one time we DID do punching, they made us jump up in the air, and punch mid-air. The instructor had previously trained in a crappy ITF offshoot, so maybe he got it from there, but seriously, it was the spazziest things I've ever done...

- ... except this: One of the 'advanced' kicks (they were rubbish kickers, and almost only ever kicked in the air) was a front kick followed by a back kick (ie - kick to the front, step down, kick straight back with the other leg). As we stepped down, they made us clap. This wasn't a training exercise, this was the way it was performed. With a clap.

- If my taekwondo club attracted lots of kids, for some reason, hapkido attracts lots of wide-eyed Bruce Lee-loving uni students. They would bring their martial arts magazines to class, and have those earnest 'style vs. style' discussions.

- The instructors were constantly ripping on other martial arts. That's common at a lot of schools, but what got me was that they were so freaking ignorant about every other martial art. They weren't ripping on your Go-Kan-Ryus (they'd never heard of them), but like, BJJ. I'm not even sure they knew what BJJ is. Their favourite story: One day, a brutish young BJJ student walked in to the super all-knowing Korean grandmaster's dojang and challenged him to a fight. Of course, our humble grandmaster refused because that is not the martial way, but the guy insisted. Of course, magic grandmaster won easily, and the entire style of BJJ was discredited forever.

More often than any other art, they ripped on taekwondo, while the uni students guffawed and looked at me like a leper. Now, taekwondo is fair game in many ways, but this school was really just teaching bad taekwondo with a bunch of wrist grabs, and once again, NONE of them actually seemed to really know what taekwondo is. "Taekwondo practitioners would make bad bouncers, because they would think they would only need to use their legs and don't need their hands at all." "[Hapkido instructor A] is a bouncer, and he's so awesome, he can take on like, ten guys at once." Mmhmmm.

- I think ki is a load of ****, but if you're going to advocate/believe in it, I'd expect you to at least have some idea what you're crapping on about. One of the instructors LOVED talking about ki, going on these long, nonsensical lectures about how he could feel it in his 'dan jung', but clearly hadn't even picked up a book on the subject. ANY time you were in pain, he would say knowingly, "Oh, your ki meridians must be blocked." "You're not 'kia-ing' loud enough because your ki isn't strong enough yet."

- The same instructor once told a prospective student, "Well, hapkido is renowned for being the only martial art that Bruce Lee couldn't beat." The ****?

- They would take your old belt from you when you achieved a new grade. I only did one grading, and quit shortly after, but they made me give them my white belt back! I paid for that white belt, god damnit!

- The ONE time we did sparring, it was no-contact kicks and punches - nary a hapkido move to be seen. Nevertheless, I absolutely schooled every other student in that dojang, because no one does crappy no-contact fighting like taekwondo.

Anyway, I'm not saying hapkido = good or bad, just this club was laughably bad. I'm not even sure why I stayed so long.
    Last edited by retrograde; 2/22/2008 7:27am at .
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast