Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 9:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where at in Oz? Anywhere near the Bra Boys area?

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 10:26pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah bro, you are talking about Maroubra. Maroubra is a beach suburb in a low socio economic area on the East side of Sydney. I am in a suburb in the Greater West of Sydney, another low socio- economic area that has it's own "reputation". It would take me about an hour and ten minutes to go from my house to Maroubra beach, with no traffic and going the speed limit, or most beaches in Sydney for that matter.
    I actually have insider info into the Bra Boys gained from being an affiliate with another "club". Nothing hardcore, just a piece of historical information that will be overlooked and overshadowed by the truce with the Comancheros after the riots.
    Did you recently see the movie?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own a copy but knew about them bfore it even came out. I'm avlnadlocked surfer tha have to drive six hours just to get to a decent sand break when a high pressure system is not sitting over the gulf (would go to some point breaks off some some jetties but the area is a shark haven). Hell, lol, I even folowednthe trail when it was going on (it was a big deal in the States among the sufers that were not just weekend warriors) met one of the Bras at a tournament, just a quick hi after coming in nothing big.

Surfing is what got me to start Hapkido, flexibility and conditioning but now I do it because I like it, to me it's fun. My instructor tells us how it is, doesn't buy into "the secret hidden temple" bull that is common in the states and tells us what he thinks works from his own experience.

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 11:19pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of my mates surf, I don't. I just got into too many blues on the water when I was young and bodyboarding. Surfers fucking hate grommet bodyboarders and will attempt to drown you if you drop in on them. Trust me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^
    I know exactly what you are talking about, never bought into that **** myself. If some of these guys would look at the "great" ones like Mickey Dora, Billy Hamilton, and Gerry Lopez they would see those guys all body surfed as well. The water is for everyone, are they still fighting over the break named "Ours" over near Sidney ( I think it is not sure though).

Up here in Texas it gets competitive because during the summer rarely anything comes in unless a tropical storm comes, so I hear you bro especailly about localism.

Once, got into it with someone because he jumped into my line even though I took off from the lineup first and this ass started screaming and chest puff me about stealing his ride, I ended it by pointing out in the horizon at the next set and told him that I was taking the small set so the locals can have the bigger set. I told him we can stil throw down if he wanted to but the effort would be better spent surfing the decent sets that we actually gotten with out a hurricane.

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 12:34am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you should make your way down here bro. If you do, PM me and I'll put in an effort to show you round.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 3:06am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or pm him, several posts ago unless its some hardcore HKD grab my board surfing ;)

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 6:05pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, what were we saying dwkfym?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because i'm unemployed and its the cheapest MA in the area geographically relative to me.

On the other hand i don't take alot of the techniques seriously such as most of the stand up-grab my hand locks, but one reason other than price is my teacher is actually pretty good at what he teaches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 1:56am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapkido is unreasonably cheap, my instructor isn't an idiot and likes practicality, it's nearby, I can fit it into my schedule, I have fun with it, the US Hapkido Federation encourages cross-training, and my friends train there, too. Everything else around here is too far away, really expensive, most of it is ATA and XMA kind of stuff, and/or I just can't fit it into my schedule.

I figure that if I know what I'm getting into and I don't expect myself to become the next Bruce Lee or think that I can take out pro fighters who train 8 hours a day then I'm not doing too badly with what I chose.

Oh, and "grab my wrist" is a joke with everyone there because we know how to laugh at ourselves and the less practical parts of our curriculum.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011