Posted On:
    9/02/2009 7:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hapkido Schools Around Tampa FL Area

Hi Everyone,

I recently posted a similar post regarding Wing Chun schools in the Tampa area.

Brief Background: I am basically trying to get a feel for martial arts instruction that I may seek upon moving to Tampa. In addition, I am seeking a street effective art and teaching application and methods.

After performing a google search I came across the below listed instructors and schools. I would appreciate any feedback that you can give me on the instructors effectiveness, their lineage, etc.

In addition these are only the schools that I found in the Tampa area. If you know of other schools please do not hesitate to inform me.

As always please feel free to e-mail me at jurat13@yahoo.com if you feel uncomfortable providing me feedback on this forum. Thank you.
    • Master Mehrdad Khan Moayedi, 8th Dan - Ancient Hap Ki Do-Shaolin Kung Fu Association
    • In W. Kim Ė In W. Kimís Martial Arts Academy
    • Frank Ehnle, 5th Dan Hapkido - Royal Dragon Martial Arts
    • Randy Hutchinson, 4th degree black belt Combat Hapkido Ė Self Defense America
    • U.S. Taekwondo Hapkido, Master Phil Peplinski, Chief Instructor Patrick Brown
    Respectfully,

Walter

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapkido that looks like judo is generally good. Hapkido that looks like Aikido is generally bad. Go to the classes and observe. If you see a lot of time spent on "grab my wrist, no, not like that" techniques and single point of contact throws that result in beautiful rollouts, leave. If you see full contact sparring with kicks, punches, takedowns and submissions you may want to give it a try. Personally although I took HKD in Korea in the 80s I wouldn't pursue it here now. There are plenty of better options for learning to fight availible. Good luck.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vorpal thanks for the useful reply. I have a follow-up question though. What are the better options for learning to fight that you mention? I may want to pursue those.

Thanks,

Walter

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 2:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might one go for one school where the instructor has a black belt in judo as well. That will make sure you don't learn crappy throws.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Judo, BJJ, MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, Sambo, San Da or any other style where you can be certain you will be training in an environment where you are testing your skills against a fully resisting opponent would be a good start. What's availible in your area? Start there and then you have to factor in distance, schedule, cost, along with observing an actual class or paticipating in one. You want an instructor who is open and honest about their credentials. Training at a school where students compete (even if you don't plan to) and win is a huge positive. Training at a school that has amatuer or pro fighters is huge. Start looking and bounce what you find off some of the people here, it can save you heaps of time, money and anguish.