Posted On:
    9/06/2009 4:27am

Style: Tae Kwon Do-Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Differences Between My Style of TKD and Everybody Else

My school lineage is as follows:
    Chun Chai Qui (Korean Grandmaster)
    Eugene Percival Jr (US Army stationed in Korea during Korean War)
    Forrest Blaire (US Student of Eugene Percival Jr)
    Charles Grahm (US Student of Forrest Blaire)
    Master Mike Lawrence (US Student of Charles Grahm)
    Me (US Student of Mike Lawrence)

Our style has many hand, joint lock, trapping, throwing, grappling as well as kicking techniques. We also teach Nunchaku, Staff, Tonfa, Sai, Kama, Double Sticks similar to Arnis/Escrima and Sword.

I find our style is similar to Hapkido.

Observing American Tae Kwon Do, I find it is more kicking oriented with less hand, joint, trapping or grappling techniques.

Thoughts on this?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find Moo Duk Kwan to be more or less the same. Some American dojangs emphasize the flashy sport side more than others depending on the affiliation.

but all the aspects that you described in Moo Duk Kwan is the same way that we practice Warrior TKD in Korea. some of the guys who train that come from Moo Duk Kwan in the states an they trained the same way. as well as a few ATA people ive come across

and there are some Korean classical dojangs whose training curriculum lacks what you do in Moo Duk Kwan

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 9:28am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Section-8 View Post
    You claim to be Taegwondo Mudeokgwan but don't trace your lineage back to the founder of Mudeokgwan but instead back to a Grandmaster who's name isn't even Korean.

Explain to me how that works.

Our style has many hand, joint lock, trapping, throwing, grappling as well as kicking techniques. We also teach Nunchaku, Staff, Tonfa, Sai, Kama, Double Sticks similar to Arnis/Escrima and Sword.
    These are not a part of Mudeokgwan curriculum.

Observing American Tae Kwon Do, I find it is more kicking oriented with less hand, joint, trapping or grappling techniques.

Thoughts on this?
    Your teachers made up a bunch of ****, imported a bunch of ****, and your style is more typical American karate than it is Korean Taegwondo.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 9/06/2009 9:37am at .

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 9:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never get tired of reading DA108.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 10:41am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DA's posts are always an entertaining read. Either he is offering up some very helpful information or he is making another poster look like an idiot, always a good time.
    安氏八极拳学生

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 12:38pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    DA's posts are always an entertaining read. Either he is offering up some very helpful information or he is making another poster look like an idiot, always a good time.
    He talks about MDK TDK as "our style" and then talks about things that aren't style-specific but rather specific to his own dojang. He's got a provincial understanding. Hopefully, we'll be able to expand his horizons.

Violently, if possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    You claim to be Taegwondo Mudeokgwan but don't trace your lineage back to the founder of Mudeokgwan but instead back to a Grandmaster who's name isn't even Korean.

Explain to me how that works.

These are not a part of Mudeokgwan curriculum.

Your teachers made up a bunch of ****, imported a bunch of ****, and your style is more typical American karate than it is Korean Taegwondo.

I misspelled my Korean Grandmasters name, I met him years ago before he died when he travelled to the USA from Korea for one of our organizations seminars and I assure you he was Korean.

As far as curriculum and what is and is not part of it. The Korean Martial ARts have so many Kwans and Families and Styles all claiming to be the original. They have so much influence from surrounding CHina,Japan and Okinawa that I doubt any curriculum is remotely identical to another. And yes I am sure each master incorporated aspects and knowledge of any other arts he may have studied into the curriculum.

As far as **** being thrown together, I have been a police officer in the Philadelphia area for the last 10 years. I assure you what I know has saved my ass on many an occaison. I dont care if it is strictly Korean, Chinese or came from a fucking lepprechaun. What matters is it is effective, it works and I am happy with it.

Thank you to the other posters who shared their knowledge on Korean Arts practiced in Korea and elsewhere. It is interesting to see how the Korean Arts have evolved over the years today as they are passed down through different teachers who add their own little touch of things to it

Talk to you all later.

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 12:15am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I misspelled my Korean Grandmasters name, I met him years ago before he died when he travelled to the USA from Korea for one of our organizations seminars and I assure you he was Korean.
    1) What organization are you talking about?

2) How do you claim a Mudeokgwan lineage without tracing it back to the founder of the Mudeokgwan?

As far as curriculum and what is and is not part of it. The Korean Martial ARts have so many Kwans and Families and Styles all claiming to be the original. They have so much influence from surrounding CHina,Japan and Okinawa that I doubt any curriculum is remotely identical to another. And yes I am sure each master incorporated aspects and knowledge of any other arts he may have studied into the curriculum.
    This is a cop-out. It is actually very easy to historically verify a great many details about the development of post-Occupation Korean karate, and a great deal of research has been done on this. What you describe in your post is not the Mudeokgwan curriculum at any point in time. Period.

As far as **** being thrown together, I have been a police officer in the Philadelphia area for the last 10 years. I assure you what I know has saved my ass on many an occaison. I dont care if it is strictly Korean, Chinese or came from a fucking lepprechaun. What matters is it is effective, it works and I am happy with it.
    This is also irrelevant. You could be a Navy SEAL for all I care. You could be a card carrying member of the Central Ninja Agency. It does nothing to validate your claims. What you're discussing is not the Mudeokgwan curriculum. It is things that had been added somewhere else down the line.

If you're going to be a member of this forum, you have to be able to think critically. You have to be accurate in your information. Bullshit is not accepted. If you want to talk about the Mudeokgwan, we can do that. If you want to talk about the things taught in your school, we can do that as well. But there will be no confusion as to how they are not the same thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Der108:
    What are you rambling on about, your acting like some immature argumentative child.

I do not need to prove or validate anything to anyone. I am not asking for validation or anyones approval on anything.

Like I previously stated I know my schools grandmaster was Korean. As far as his teacher or lineage I do not know. I do however know that we are part of The American Tae Kwon DO Moo Duk Kwan Federation.

I simply posted my schools curriculum and asked the view of others in Korean Martial Arts to get an idea of their curriculum and if it was similar or different from mine.

Soju-King whom is currently living and training in Korea in Tae Kwon Do stated above my curriculum is similar.

As for you stating that it is all traced back to one lineage in Korea is rediculous because anyone can research that their was and is numerous Kwans and families whom all claim they are the original. They have all been influenced by other arts and no one style is the original because that was lost to history.

It doesnt matter anyway that is not the point of my post. I was simply asking other practitioners of Korean arts their curriculums and how they differed or were related.

Why you choose to be argumentative and act all knowing is immature and rediculous.
    Who said anything about Ninjas or Navy Seals? I said I was a cop and have real life experience to the combatative use of martial arts, not some keyboard fucking cowboy who acts all knowing on the internet and feels big and bad by being rude and insulting to others trying to have a friendly adult discussion.

What the hell is Mudeokgwan? I said Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan.

And as for me coping out, what the hell am I coping out about? I dont need to lie or hide anything, I simply stated my schools lineage as it is known to me.

Get a grip on yourself, are you that insecure with yourself that you need to act in such a manner on a public forum.

Kukki Tae Kwon Do, that explains it. Your style is the "New Unified Style" which is actually the Sport Style founded by the Korean Government and prevelant in the US. There are numerous Kwans who refused to join under the Kukki banner because they did not agree with it. It is a sport style consisting mostly of kicks. Great for competitions but useless in real combat. That in itself explains all of your hostility and useless ignorant banter. You feel the need to validate your art as the "Original" lol!

The Baltimore Zen Center huh, looks like you need to practice some more Zen and get some inner peace instead of all this pent up hostility reflected here on these forums. Kind of hypocritical dont you think.

I am done wasting my time with your senceless confrontational post.
    Last edited by Section-8; 9/07/2009 12:53am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 8:23am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thoughts on this:
    Not one of the people listed above, except Forest Blaire, is verifiable yet. Here is a link to Forest Blaire's website:
    http://fgblair.com/about-master-forrest-g-blair/

Unable to locate any information on the association listed here or on Blaire's website.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast