Posted On:
    5/19/2010 4:05pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    Spoken from ignorance.

In any large group of people, you'll have a few that fall on the left side of the bell curve. ATA is no different. However, I hate to bust your bubble, but the majority of ATA schools are no different than any other school. We teach martial arts first. It's only the few that are all about the money that pee in the pool for the rest of us.

I agree with him and I've been teaching for 21 years. Ignorance works both ways. Proof is in the evidence. If 10 people in ATA really suck but 1 is good does not make for a good argument.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 8:58pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not about doing forms. It's about performance under pressure. Period. And I don't need to put someone into a fight situation to find out if they will choke if I see them choke in a low-stress situation. It's a given that they will choke in a high-stress situation.
    Bullshit.

Stress, like many things, is determined by a multitude of factors, and performance in one area is not indicative of performance in another.

Dancing a form in front of a judge has no bearing on how one will perform in combat.

Prove otherwise.

Cite studies backing up your claim, because that's the biggest load of bullshit I've heard today.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoken from ignorance.

In any large group of people, you'll have a few that fall on the left side of the bell curve. ATA is no different. However, I hate to bust your bubble, but the majority of ATA schools are no different than any other school. We teach martial arts first. It's only the few that are all about the money that pee in the pool for the rest of us.
    Crap

Bust my bubble?

The ATA is, for the MOST part, THE left side of the bell curve.

The majority of the ATA schools ARE different from MOST schools. Black belt in two years or less, much of which was spent on kata/poomse/hyungs and many of that on dead weapons.

Ignorance? I was probably working forms before you were born or at least a young boy. Those forms included the required TKD, HKD and TSD material, along with other karate styles over the years.

I know full well the feeling of forgetting the next movement AND IT WAS NEVER ABOUT PRESSURE.

Now before we get into a pissing match, kudos for you for endeavoring to be above the norm in regard to the ATA.

Balrog - Have you ever earned rank outside of the ATA?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 11:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoken from ignorance.

Spoken from arrogance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 7:35am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoken from ignorance.

This is cynicism? Or are you dead serious and completely blind of your own bubble which is extremely real and very large?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 8:18am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    I agree with him and I've been teaching for 21 years. Ignorance works both ways. Proof is in the evidence. If 10 people in ATA really suck but 1 is good does not make for a good argument.
    The error is in making the assumption that 10 suck instead of 1.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 8:24am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    This is cynicism? Or are you dead serious and completely blind of your own bubble which is extremely real and very large?
    It was a very straightforward statement. I've heard a lot of people complain and whine about ATA. The vast majority of them are either folks who couldn't cut it in the ATA or people who know nothing more about ATA other than listening to the whiners and they simply repeat the whining. Yeah, there are some people with legitimate grievances, but I've heard a helluva lot more people praise ATA than complain about it.

Is it perfect? By no means. I've disagreed mightily with some of the decisions made by the powers that be. In the long run, I've ignored most of them within my school and I concentrate on teaching quality martial arts, with a firm grounding in basics and self-defense. In the long run, that's all any of us can do.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 9:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So do you fully embrace the idea of light contact stop point sparring in foam dipped protective gear and a chest protector as the competitive measuring stick for effective technique?
    Or do you do things differently in your school? Because every ATA school I've run into practices speed tag and every ATA blackbelt I've run into (That hasn't crosstrained out of it yet) hits like a schoolgirl.
    The ITF has generally better sparring rules and the WTF is at least honest about being primarily an organization devoted to the olympics. The ATA seems dishonest in that they, like you, claim to be training people for self defense when their methods are complete trash for that purpose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 1:57pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was a very straightforward statement. I've heard a lot of people complain and whine about ATA. The vast majority of them are either folks who couldn't cut it in the ATA or people who know nothing more about ATA other than listening to the whiners and they simply repeat the whining. Yeah, there are some people with legitimate grievances, but I've heard a helluva lot more people praise ATA than complain about it.

Is it perfect? By no means. I've disagreed mightily with some of the decisions made by the powers that be. In the long run, I've ignored most of them within my school and I concentrate on teaching quality martial arts, with a firm grounding in basics and self-defense. In the long run, that's all any of us can do.
    Let me pose another question then. This question is not about you, your instructions, or your school specifically as individual sample of ATA. This question is to ATA as whole.

If we go by your statement we can infer that people who remain in ATA that can cut it receive continuous quality martial arts instructions, gain martial arts basics, and gain martial arts experience/skills/techniques. If that is true, you should be able to provide us hard factual data that can support and prove your statements easily. Correct?

So here is my question with underlying facts.

Fact
    1. ATA is very large organization with global presence
    2. ATA memberships are in hundreds of thousands of members (over 300,000 according to ataonline.com)

Question
    With large membership and global organization presence. How much presence does ATA have in testing ground of martial arts? In all levels as Hobbyist, Amateur, and Professional level. When I mean testing ground, I mean events such as MMA fights, hard contact tournaments, etc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 2:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The error is in making the assumption that 10 suck instead of 1.
    There is no assumption. I have visited many ATA schools. I've yet to meet one credible one. The simple fact I give a 10 to 1 is giving it credit.
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast