Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 5:42pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im in favor of failing people who are not prepared , by that I dont mean a flub but if you freeze up while doing a form you supposedly practiced many many times . Then IMHO you are not ready to be promoted either mentally or physically or both.

A promotion should mean something . Im not saying you make the standards universal because a 51 year person like myself is not a teen ager But it should be relevant and challenging and by the end of the test I want to know I earned it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were the plastic rebreakable boards the correct color?

Those plastic boards can be tricky. The bricks are even more devious.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an ATA member, and i think that my master reads this website.

We have a night dedicated to full contact sparring, with a round or two of full contact on the other nights. (except for a week or two before an ATA tournament)

He only holds testing 4 times a year. but the tests are more of a formal thing. the week or two before he does an hour long test (i know that's not as long as some of yours, but according to the stories i've read, longer than 90% of the ATA) and if he thinks you didnt do well, he asks you not to come to the formal test. and thus, you aren't promoted. i just recieved my green belt (5th rank) and probably won't reach the next one till thanksgiving time frame. i have been in for a year and a half.
    However, some people have slipped by. but all the older (19 and above) black belts can hold their own with the amatuer fighter (mma, or ufc, i'm not sure which, but his next fight is aug 29th)

we do use breakable plastic boards, but only to practice. for the tests, you have to use actual wooden boards.

anyways, thanks for making a difference.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 9:57pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenfield View Post
    I'm an ATA member, and i think that my master reads this website.

We have a night dedicated to full contact sparring, with a round or two of full contact on the other nights. (except for a week or two before an ATA tournament)

He only holds testing 4 times a year. but the tests are more of a formal thing. the week or two before he does an hour long test (i know that's not as long as some of yours, but according to the stories i've read, longer than 90% of the ATA) and if he thinks you didnt do well, he asks you not to come to the formal test. and thus, you aren't promoted. i just recieved my green belt (5th rank) and probably won't reach the next one till thanksgiving time frame. i have been in for a year and a half.
    However, some people have slipped by. but all the older (19 and above) black belts can hold their own with the amatuer fighter (mma, or ufc, i'm not sure which, but his next fight is aug 29th)

we do use breakable plastic boards, but only to practice. for the tests, you have to use actual wooden boards.

anyways, thanks for making a difference.

good luck in your training and always have a open mind and decide for yourself if something is good.

I did ATA for a short period of time I had 2 real good instructors in Mr. and Mrs Johnson in Shirley NY. This is going back to 1994 . But they were decent practioneers and instructors and really believed in the ATA. I was already a WTF 1st Dan when I joined their school and I stayed probably less then a year but it was ok and I dont regret it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 5:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD + current interest

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I started training earnestly, I joined ATA when I was 15. The owner of the school was "Chief Master" Bill Clark and the Head Instructor was Emiglio Lopez. I was there for a bit more than a year and earned my black belt.
    Now, even when I was going there, I was aware of their reputation. I could see it with my own eyes, as well.
    I know that a year is considered too short a time, but I would like to say that I feel I did EARN my black belt. Whereas most martial arts practitioners (whether ATAers or not) go to two or three classes a week, I attended at least five every week (M,W at 8: regular class; M,W at 9: instructors class; F at 8: just sparring). I also trained at home and sparred with anyone whenever I could.
    I was being taught not just the regular curriculum, but also how to TEACH the curriculum. This required a lot more training.
    I was definitely more devoted than any other student there (at least the ones around my age). Even when I was a white belt, I could sometimes beat some black belts in my age group in sparring.

I worked my ass off and did seminars and Krav classes whenever I could. Eventually, very shortly after earning my black belt, I had to leave the school because of some downright improper business practice.

I kind of wish that my training had started in something more effective, perhaps, but I do think that since I was aware and was a relatively smart, but still dedicated, student that I did get a lot out of it.

I also feel the need to express my appreciation for one instructor in particular: Arpak Mafie. He was a great martial artist and definitely earned more respect from me than anyone else there because he stressed physical fitness and self-defense (he was primarily a Krav guy).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Quan Do View Post
    When I started training earnestly, I joined ATA when I was 15. The owner of the school was "Chief Master" Bill Clark and the Head Instructor was Emiglio Lopez. I was there for a bit more than a year and earned my black belt.
    Now, even when I was going there, I was aware of their reputation. I could see it with my own eyes, as well.
    I know that a year is considered too short a time, but I would like to say that I feel I did EARN my black belt. Whereas most martial arts practitioners (whether ATAers or not) go to two or three classes a week, I attended at least five every week (M,W at 8: regular class; M,W at 9: instructors class; F at 8: just sparring). I also trained at home and sparred with anyone whenever I could.
    I was being taught not just the regular curriculum, but also how to TEACH the curriculum. This required a lot more training.
    I was definitely more devoted than any other student there (at least the ones around my age). Even when I was a white belt, I could sometimes beat some black belts in my age group in sparring.

I worked my ass off and did seminars and Krav classes whenever I could. Eventually, very shortly after earning my black belt, I had to leave the school because of some downright improper business practice.

I kind of wish that my training had started in something more effective, perhaps, but I do think that since I was aware and was a relatively smart, but still dedicated, student that I did get a lot out of it.

I also feel the need to express my appreciation for one instructor in particular: Arpak Mafie. He was a great martial artist and definitely earned more respect from me than anyone else there because he stressed physical fitness and self-defense (he was primarily a Krav guy).
    Your post is indicative of all that is wrong with the majority of ATA schools.

My coworker is training really hard too, has been in for about a year and tested for level one instructor ranking. He thinks he's earned it too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 7:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I certainly respect what you're saying, and I do acknowledge delusion as a possibility. It always is.

I definitely wouldn't say that ATA provides enough, though. It provided me with a base, and I've enjoyed more my cross-training and simply exchanging with friends from other arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 8:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was working out for free at an ATA school for a little bit, I hold a first dan in WTF. We were doing "non contact sparring", and if that wasn't bad enough, a red belt walked into my well placed roundhouse kick that was supposed to land in the air. After they were picked up off the floor, I was asked not to spar at that school anymore. True story.
    Last edited by Crushing Step; 8/10/2009 8:26pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it. I myself was repeatedly warned about hitting "too hard", even when sparring people in their twenties and thirties. I was a 150-pound 15-16 year-old! And I was holding back! And, yet.... That's why I much prefer sparring with boxers, kick boxers, "hardcore" karateka, MMA guys, etc.

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 11:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Step View Post
    I was working out for free at an ATA school for a little bit, I hold a first dan in WTF. We were doing "non contact sparring", and if that wasn't bad enough, a red belt walked into my well placed roundhouse kick that was supposed to land in the air. After they were picked up off the floor, I was asked not to spar at that school anymore. True story.
    That's too funny! or not depending on who you are. :sad4:
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast