Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 4:49pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't YMAS, someone kick his douche post to trollshido or wherever it goes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 6:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Instead, they hold “graduations” where students are virtually guaranteed to advance. Some ATA schools keep classes to 30 minutes (40 or 45 minutes if you upgrade!). 30 minutes leaves very little, if any, time for physical conditioning. Often 30 minutes is spent preparing students for their next testing or tournament."

... *bangs head against wall

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 4:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor failed 2 students last night. One couldn't break his Board the other girl forgot her form in the middle of testing. No MC Dojo here

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 7:02pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by khf View Post
    My instructor failed 2 students last night. One couldn't break his Board the other girl forgot her form in the middle of testing. No MC Dojo here
    That doesn't mean that you don't go do a McDojo. Without reading too much into your post and not knowing the details, it almost sounds as if the two people weren't prepared to test. If so, why test them? Second, who's to say that the owner wasn't just looking for a quick way to make more testing money the second time around? Of course this is all a distant second to learning an effective martial art that actually teaches one how to fight realistically. Forms, one-step, and point sparring do not do this. Best of luck to you and your family.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 7:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    That doesn't mean that you don't go do a McDojo. Without reading too much into your post and not knowing the details, it almost sounds as if the two people weren't prepared to test. If so, why test them? Second, who's to say that the owner wasn't just looking for a quick way to make more testing money the second time around? Of course this is all a distant second to learning an effective martial art that actually teaches one how to fight realistically. Forms, one-step, and point sparring do not do this. Best of luck to you and your family.
    Beat me to it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 4:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No the 2 kids were prepared but one kid had 3 tries top break the Board and couldn't and the other girl who is very talented just froze in the middle of her form which I have seen her do several times before.

I have seen plenty of kids and adults test and pass so I don't agree with your statement that our instructor was out to collect more money for the testing fees

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 4:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No the 2 kids were prepared but one kid had 3 tries top break the Board and couldn't and the other girl who is very talented just froze in the middle of her form which I have seen her do several times before.

I have seen plenty of kids and adults test and pass so I don't agree with your statement that our instructor was out to collect more money for the testing fees
    So when they pass, it proves he's not out for more testing fees. When they fail, it proves that it's not a mcdojo. Er, what?

McDojo and Bullshido have nothing to do with the pass/fail rate. They have to do with business practices, training methods, rigor, fraud/truthfulness and combat efficacy & validity.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In addition to what 1point2 said, I'll add on that given what you've stated so far, your instructor is a pompous asshole. Failing someone because they freeze once in the middle of a form is a ridiculously stupid reason to fail someone. Forgetting a form consistently and repeatedly is a valid reason. A few flubs is not. I won't get into the board breaking, that's a joke anyway.

Your posts sound like someone who is trying very hard to convince himself that he is not going to a McDojo, followed closely by trying to convince us. If you really wish to get a good honest appraisal, why not post some videos of either you or even better some black belts doing some real sparring. By real sparring, I'm sure you understand by now this completely excludes still sparring, point sparring, etc. If your instructor is unwilling to allow you to film yourself or others, then that in of itself should be a telling point.

Sincerest best of luck to you and your family.

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in favor of failing people who freeze up and can't complete a form. That's part of having standards, and of forcing students to recognize their failures.

If you're going to have forms in the curriculum, they'd better be whiz-bang good when the students do them. Having forty forms that the students promptly forget after the testing is lame.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 5:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I'm in favor of failing people who freeze up and can't complete a form. That's part of having standards, and of forcing students to recognize their failures.

If you're going to have forms in the curriculum, they'd better be whiz-bang good when the students do them. Having forty forms that the students promptly forget after the testing is lame.
    I suspect we're saying the same thing slightly differently. I would concur, if a student tested and could not complete a form, then they would fail.

I think students should damn well be ready to test when they are asked to do so. This means both the instructor knows the student and where they stand in terms of skills, ability, and requirements for their grade. The student should also be very much ready themselves, mentally and physically. Students should NEVER be in charge of their own progression, in any shape or form. This is where McDojos fail, because they promote people on regular bases, and/or the instructors do not know or care to keep track of each individual student's progress. Having 2938439 forms is indeed retarded and pointless. Having maybe upwards of 10 or so distinct forms that teach specific concepts is fine. A white belt learning their first form is going to be sloppy and uncoordinated a best. They should be able to demonstrate growth and improvement at each phase of testing. Everyone makes mistakes too. My old school's 1BB tests were 8 hours long and covered every single bit of material. Some mistakes can and will be made.

In the end it's all subjective and personal opinion anyway!
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast