Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 11:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said that sparring or aliveness in one discipline can't translate to another. That sums up your entire mistake with what I said.
    Being mentally tough will not help you make poor striking techniques work because you are a grappler or vice versa. That's what I mean by your post being confusing. You talk about techniques, kata, and sparring. Using your "universal mindset" it sounds like you said that will help him make the crappy stuff work. That's just isn't true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 11:19pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry that was not what I meant

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 12:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boys are six (almost seven) and eight. The people are working really well with the oldest who is ADHD and ODD, which is a plus. The contract is either one or two years (without looking at the paperwork not sure which). I spoke with a coworker who knows more about the martial arts scene - which he didn't mention until after I joined ATA - and he turned me on to some other places that aren't as obvious to the uninitiated. He talked with me some and says that my technique is strong, even if I am lacking in practical application.

As for my background, I have dabbled in a lot of things. Wrestled in school, done some fencing, various sports. Some form of martial arts is something I've always wanted to do, so... I'm going to try and make my best of what I've got. Thank you all for your responses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 2:58pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful with the "but your technique is strong" thing.

You wrestled in school. If you couldn't sprawl to stop any kid's take down would anyone tell you that you had a good sprawl? Or even that you have good sprawling technique? If you can't make it work (practical application), then something is wrong with your sprawl.

I only bring this up because when I did the tournament scene in the ATA (and I have no doubt this is the case in any forms competition in any circuit or organization) I saw a lot of people who had good-looking, "strong" technique, but it would be ineffective against resistance. This is how we wind up with XMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 9:42am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last month I returned to ATA after being off for a year and a half due to some rotator cuff issues, plus I had to have neck surgery...a two level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.

I've found myself having mixed feelings now after being off for a year and a half. I was in their leadership program and helping with teaching white, orange and yellow belts under the instruction of a 5th degree black belt. Upon my return I was really surprised...more like shocked...to see that the orange belts I was teaching are now red belts...in a year and a half? Come on! It took me a year and a half to reach blue belt and yes I passed all the testing.

I'm taking it for what it is for me...good exercise, a chance to have some fun, and learn some basic techniques.

Personally I'm not at all crazy about the point sparring. Someone taps you on the chest pad and that's a point? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm 52 years old and am one of the stronger students in the adult classes and despite the layoff from the surgery, I'm pretty close to being in the same shape as prior to to my surgery...still some right side weakness but my strength on the right side is about 90% until that nerve heals...if it ever does fully.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see that some students who have made red belt still have sloppy technique, are out of shape, and can't do a round kick or side kick above belt level yet.

There's alot I like about ATA in the sense that some of my instructors are really good, but others...well....no comment but you get the idea. Being off for a year and a half and then returning opened my eyes a bit.

I look at it this way though...you get out of it what you put in to it. If some want to just slide by doing the minimum, that's their problem, not mine. Sorry for the rambling...just a little "surprised" after returning.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFMAS View Post
    Anyway, I'm surprised to see that some students who have made red belt still have sloppy technique, are out of shape, and can't do a round kick or side kick above belt level yet.
    What about this surprises you? Many instructors will retain and promote students to keep the bank account flush and for word of mouth. If you didn't realize it, a lot of TKD students care more about getting to the next belt, than actually learning **** that will work.
    There's alot I like about ATA in the sense that some of my instructors are really good, but others...well....no comment but you get the idea.
    Typical internal politics; it is the same (actually worse) with WTF.
    I look at it this way though...you get out of it what you put in to it. If some want to just slide by doing the minimum, that's their problem, not mine.
    Some want to slide by and do less than the minimum; they would rather 'get over' than to do the right thing.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 11:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Former ATA member

Quote Originally Posted by tkd panda View Post
    Thank you for putting up that information if only for the fact I dont have to read every single thread titled ATA to get the full picture.
    The ATA I know is not the ATA I was in. The ATA now is colorful, the ATA then...was combative "Now that's Arts".

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 12:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met people from that era. Seriously not saying much.

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Seidokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ATA sucks and is the image for MCdojo

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Seidokan Karate

--