forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What rank are you in BJJ and Judo?

FTR, I don't believe your answer.

FTR, your advice is substandard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:20pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What don't you believe about my answer, if you want to call me a liar at least be specific. FTR: Judo low brown belt under Sammy Vandenberg.

bjj white belt with one stripe under Randy Stacey.

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:26pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So being a judo brown must've showed you that **** only works when it is tested against a resisting opponent, why the **** are you (a) still doing ATA and (b) defending the pile of ****?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brihno360 View Post
    What don't you believe about my answer, if you want to call me a liar at least be specific. FTR: Judo low brown belt under Sammy Vandenberg.

bjj white belt with one stripe under Randy Stacey.
    I think one issue is you saying grappling will help him make striking work through mental strength. That's just all kinds of wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My intent was not to defend ATA. if you read my post you should notice that what I said was that being stuck in ATA isn't the end of the world. you will also notice that I said that their application of technique basically suck. I haven't been active in ata for about a year, but I still practice the forms for reasons that I mentioned in earlier posts in this thread.

the fact is that if you can get an instructor that's been around for 25 or 30 years in the organization, you can learn proper technique from them. Since in the old days, they drill the crap of us, AND allowed hard contact full resistance sparring. I have had my nose and fingers broken in an ATA school that operated in the manner I just described. The instructor's name was Robert Faulconer, a 4th degree BB in songahm Taekwondo.

As for the quality of advice, you may be right. however I felt it would more helpful to the questioner than telling he was fucked or some other mindless thing like that, having had recent experience with the org.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:39pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the quality of advice, you may be right. however I felt it would more helpful to the questioner than telling he was fucked or some other mindless thing like that, having had recent experience with the org.
    Right because telling him how good it was, back in the day, is mindful. Confusing the guy and exaggerating what he might get is not better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point, the only reason I mentioned it in the post was that it sounds like the school is charging less than other schools of other styles in the area, which in my mind increases that chance that the instructor has been around for a while, since most newer instructors have bought into the whole BS of charging 80 bucks or more a month. which is too damn much for any style in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one issue is you saying grappling will help him make striking work through mental strength. That's just all kinds of wrong.
    OK, so you don't think having faced people in full resistance matches in the past will help him in striking? how come, I find that working out with people under full resistance helps under all conditions and translates between the different phases of fighting (ie: grappling striking etc.) fairly well since the practice takes some of the nerves out of it and allows me remain calm and develop strategies I want to use against my opponent. I also feel that full resistance fighting under one condition will help a person learn how to strategize, and then it becomes about being comfortable with enough techniques to actually build a strategy using them. Am I somehow wrong there? because I have operated under that mental paradigm for several years now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 11:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so you don't think having faced people in full resistance matches in the past will help him in striking? how come, I find that working out with people under full resistance helps under all conditions and translates between the different phases of fighting (ie: grappling striking etc.) fairly well since the practice takes some of the nerves out of it and allows me remain calm and develop strategies I want to use against my opponent. I also feel that full resistance fighting under one condition will help a person learn how to strategize, and then it becomes about being comfortable with enough techniques to actually build a strategy using them. Am I somehow wrong there? because I have operated under that mental paradigm for several years now.
    Before I delve in, wasting both of our time, you do understand you have just described an entirely different issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sort of view all of this as a unified mindset, so I guess we can go wherever you want with this.

EDIT: I will probably have to continue this tomorrow, due to needing to spend a bit of time with family before heading to bed. work starts early.