I apologize.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 1:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem. Understand we here have already developed an opinion on ATA. I don't mind being proven wrong but evidence needs to be provided.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Needs attention

I'm completely against crappy schools like this, I was an ATA member for a few months before I wised up. The schools suck, they don't teach good Taekwondo. But with that being said it's should be mentioned that ATA gets kids up off the couch moving around and it makes them active. I would rather have my kid be in a school 10 times worse than the ATA than sitting at home eating potato chips playing Halo getting fat.

...just saying...

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is just as easy to put them in another active activity and get them off the couch.
    Just saying.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 8:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It is just as easy to put them in another active activity and get them off the couch.
    Just saying.
    Very true, the point I was making was that they are 95% bad, not 100% bad. If it was my kid what I'd do is stick them in boxing or something. ATA wouldn't even be allowed in the conversation. I wouldn't allow my kid to participate, they are a horrible school, and yes, sadly I'm speaking from experience, all I'm saying is it's good that kids are up and moving, kids are excited to be there and that keeps them motivated, which is a good things...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 12:59am

Style: Water Polo/ Backpacking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lol'd so hard when you said "I recommend ATA for the mentally disabled".

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 2:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am LOLing a bit myself. I have never had a good experience with ATA schools personally. They can't do anything that martial artists are supposed to be able to do, like tie their belts or adjust their adult diapers so they don't spill over the sides.

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Question

Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    Hey all - Just a note. If you have questions about the ATA, please feel free to PM or ask me. I am a 4th degree certified instructor, I also hold a belt in WTF. I'm fairly realistic about the ATA and what it offers, the system, etc. If you never read the Certified ATA Instructor megathread, it's rather entertaining and there is some good information. The original writer of the article in this thread (If I am right about who he is, and pretty sure I am) is no longer with the ATA, he is with AMAI.

Re: the ATF, I believe that it is an offshoot of ITF, not ATA. I stand to be corrected on that point, however.

John
    Sorry. I am brand new to this site and could not find the PM message. I signed up with ATA a little over a month ago - they're the only program I know of locally, other than a kung fur place that charges $75 an hour - and was curious... I'm locked into a contract and I like some of the qualities about it. However, I'd like to get more out of it than just a belt factory (though mine doesn't seem as bad as some others). What can I do (short of joining other programs - single mom and this will take up most of the funds I have already) to improve what they offer? I am very interested in learning TKD and they seem intent on teaching it. I have a background in wrestling, some fencing, stuff like that. I don't want it to be a complete waste and my two boys enjoy it... So rather than tear down what seems a positive place, I want to know how I can improve the experience and get more out of it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 6:58am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiykiy21 View Post
    Sorry. I am brand new to this site and could not find the PM message. I signed up with ATA a little over a month ago - they're the only program I know of locally, other than a kung fur place that charges $75 an hour - and was curious... I'm locked into a contract and I like some of the qualities about it. However, I'd like to get more out of it than just a belt factory (though mine doesn't seem as bad as some others). What can I do (short of joining other programs - single mom and this will take up most of the funds I have already) to improve what they offer? I am very interested in learning TKD and they seem intent on teaching it. I have a background in wrestling, some fencing, stuff like that. I don't want it to be a complete waste and my two boys enjoy it... So rather than tear down what seems a positive place, I want to know how I can improve the experience and get more out of it.
    You can't PM until you have 50 or 100 posts, I forget which, without at least a supporting membership.

How long is the term of your contract?

How old are your two boys?

Since you're locked in, you'll have to make the best of the time you have on the contract. Lesson learned on the contract end.

Let your boys have fun with what they're learning and don't be fooled into buying extras such as the Black Belt program. Hold onto your wallet and make the best of what is taught and the time spent with the boys.

No judo anywhere near? A shame given your wrestling background.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 10:06pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no reason to panic. it sounds like you are at one of the lower priced schools. My personal experience is that you can learn good technique as far as kicking goes with ATA, but the application may not be the best, that sort of depends on whether you have one of the old school instructors that doesn't regulate the crud out of every sparring session.

For now you may as well learn the actual technique as well as you can, then later if you leave you can learn how to apply it correctly (assuming that they don't teach you that now). If they start blabbing a lot about nationals then you may want to be wary since ATA nationals seems to be the capital of cruddy sparring (once again my opinion).

I think the forms have some good stuff in them, and will sort of give a real generic idea on how you *might* string stuff together and they will with the proper amount of practice allow you to practice individual techniques while in motion.

A lot of people on here talk bad about ata which is true in a lot of cases, but I personally have sparred with people from other styles and been just fine (that includes medium and hard contact sparring with no pads), with a background in wrestling you already likely have the mental attitude to make whatever you study work.

Word of warning about ATA techniques: they will teach you to do repeating round kicks which are fine for learning balance, muscle control, etc. however trying to use them in sparring is the wrong application (thus my comments earlier regarding application).

I would also like to endorse hungryjoe's warning about not letting them nickel and dime you to death on upsale items. My school fairly regularly tries to get me to buy their sparring gear which costs like 200 bucks for a whole set. I am staunchly refusing to do so at this point because I have gear that works just fine, it just doesn't meet ATA standards for whatever reason. if you have no gear and want to spar you will just have to fork over for whatever they are selling I guess, but that part always annoys me.

All this to say that it's not the end of the world and you might as well drag whatever you can out of it while you're there and paying anyway.

BTW: I am an ATA first degree BB.