Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24252627 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2011 9:49pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Joe on this. But having been involved with ATA for the last 4 or 5 years, I have to say that a major part of the problem is that many instructors are parents who started taking TKD with their kids and when they got tired of paying for classes, they became instructors. I am not sure why they were allowed, but I suppose that it is mostly due to being willing to pay the price (literally).

The style has potential, but at this point the org has so much inertia towards low fighting ability, that it seems very unlikely to change.

Posted On:
    10/13/2011 9:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have first hand knowledge of the ATA, After having already reached 3rd. Deg. Black Belt in MooDukKwan Taekwondo I enrolled at Wade Vierras ATA in Citrus Hiegts Ca. Back in about 1990. Before I respond specificaly to the claim that the ATA Sucks, I would also like to add that I have also trained in Korea with the WTF, and KTA. Now back to the ATA. As I said I have not been activly involved with the ATA since the early 1990's so without a doubt I can honestly say that in the years worth of time I spent in the ATA I found it a rewarding experience. And by far I think proclaiming the ATA to Suck is ignorant at best. The LEE brothers made thier own forms with are not only beautifull, but technicaly difficult requiring much practice to master. Personaly I am more into reality sparring than point sparring. However I KNOW it is possible to be a good fighter ( reality ) and point fighter at the same time. If your comparing the training of the students of a typical ATA Dojang to the traing found in your local MMA gym, well I would put my money on the MMA gym, because they are a different type of person, training for different reasons. But if your looking for a FAMILY oriented Martial Arts training school where the whole family can go to ENJOY learning something that might save thier lives in a tight spot, or give the family something they all can enjoy together the ATA, and Most Traditional Martial Arts schools can fit that bill. I hope my Un-Biased comments have shed a different light / point of view in regaurds to the ATA, and traditional Martial arts in general. Sincerely, master David Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/13/2011 11:43am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by masterlee1960 View Post
    I have first hand knowledge of the ATA, After having already reached 3rd. Deg. Black Belt in MooDukKwan Taekwondo I enrolled at Wade Vierras ATA in Citrus Hiegts Ca. Back in about 1990. Before I respond specificaly to the claim that the ATA Sucks, I would also like to add that I have also trained in Korea with the WTF, and KTA. Now back to the ATA. As I said I have not been activly involved with the ATA since the early 1990's so without a doubt I can honestly say that in the years worth of time I spent in the ATA I found it a rewarding experience. And by far I think proclaiming the ATA to Suck is ignorant at best. The LEE brothers made thier own forms with are not only beautifull, but technicaly difficult requiring much practice to master. Personaly I am more into reality sparring than point sparring. However I KNOW it is possible to be a good fighter ( reality ) and point fighter at the same time. If your comparing the training of the students of a typical ATA Dojang to the traing found in your local MMA gym, well I would put my money on the MMA gym, because they are a different type of person, training for different reasons. But if your looking for a FAMILY oriented Martial Arts training school where the whole family can go to ENJOY learning something that might save thier lives in a tight spot, or give the family something they all can enjoy together the ATA, and Most Traditional Martial Arts schools can fit that bill. I hope my Un-Biased comments have shed a different light / point of view in regaurds to the ATA, and traditional Martial arts in general. Sincerely, master David Lee
    You do realize that you comment is indeed biased and hypocritical don't you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On slightly different subject- many Northwest region ATA schools now offer BJJ classes as well.
    here's the link for schools with this program available:

http://www.abrahaojiujitsu.com/locations.html

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 10:50pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything for the almighty dollar but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 7:16am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brihno360 View Post
    On slightly different subject- many Northwest region ATA schools now offer BJJ classes as well.
    here's the link for schools with this program available:

http://www.abrahaojiujitsu.com/locations.html
    Is the instructor certified under a legitimate BJJ school or was he certified through one of ATA's certification classes for this art?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not entirely sure about this, I'l ask my instructor (BJJ purple belt ibjjf), but I think the instructor is actually Heitor Abrahao(sp?). If you watch the videos on the website I provided, the instructor is teaching at an ATA school, but he looks like the pictures of Heitor I have seen.
    So no, it's not some ATA guy with no BJJ rank that will be running the show- instead the person is typically ranked with ibjjf (I think).

The school where I study is not an ATA school though.

EDIT: it's also not required that BJJ students be ATA members; rather, the BJJ classes just happen to be held in the ATA school location. Many of which are fairly nice inside (by which I mean they may have Zebra mats on the floor etc.)
    Last edited by brihno360; 10/17/2011 7:47pm at . Reason: thought of something pertinent

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, generally I agree with you about the money thing; however, there are a few ATA clubs out there that really do not charge exorbitant rates. The club I was at up in Pendleton, Or two years ago was only 45 a month.
    I do have to say that this is the exception rather than the rule- and the sparring was total ATA no contact stuff. So the only reason I was there was to keep half way in shape while on summer internship.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brihno360 View Post
    I am not entirely sure about this, I'l ask my instructor (BJJ purple belt ibjjf), but I think the instructor is actually Heitor Abrahao(sp?). If you watch the videos on the website I provided, the instructor is teaching at an ATA school, but he looks like the pictures of Heitor I have seen.
    So no, it's not some ATA guy with no BJJ rank that will be running the show- instead the person is typically ranked with ibjjf (I think).

The school where I study is not an ATA school though.

EDIT: it's also not required that BJJ students be ATA members; rather, the BJJ classes just happen to be held in the ATA school location. Many of which are fairly nice inside (by which I mean they may have Zebra mats on the floor etc.)
    Thanks. I have seen ATA from time to time run these types of classes with instructors who are ATA black belts and took some sort of certification seminar to teach these particular classes. If the guy is certified through proper channels then cool.
    Last edited by Miguksaram; 10/18/2011 11:12am at .
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2011 6:06pm

Style: Taekwondo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes all schools are different... I train with the ATA and we contact spar all the time.
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24252627 ... LastLast