Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo (wtf)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed this thread, thanks for posting. It seems like every taekwondo organization needs higher quality blackbelts for the most part.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 10:24am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. I only have one question, I've also heard of the American Taekwondo Federation and was wondering if there are any major differences between it and the ATA?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 7:44pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes,
    The forms will be completely different, as will the culture- I have not looked at my history project in a while so I cannot remember what the ATF origins are, but even if it's splinter group, the culture will be different, since in a lot of cases, the founders of splinter groups left due to personal differences of opinion with the way things are/were being done inside ATA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 2:00pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brihno360 View Post
    Yes,
    The forms will be completely different, as will the culture- I have not looked at my history project in a while so I cannot remember what the ATF origins are, but even if it's splinter group, the culture will be different, since in a lot of cases, the founders of splinter groups left due to personal differences of opinion with the way things are/were being done inside ATA.
    Hmmm, all I know about it is that a Grand Master affiliated with the ATF was Chung-Eun Kim, who passed away last year. I don't know if this would help in figuring out its origins, but thanks for your reply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:26am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all - Just a note. If you have questions about the ATA, please feel free to PM or ask me. I am a 4th degree certified instructor, I also hold a belt in WTF. I'm fairly realistic about the ATA and what it offers, the system, etc. If you never read the Certified ATA Instructor megathread, it's rather entertaining and there is some good information. The original writer of the article in this thread (If I am right about who he is, and pretty sure I am) is no longer with the ATA, he is with AMAI.

Re: the ATF, I believe that it is an offshoot of ITF, not ATA. I stand to be corrected on that point, however.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 7:54pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wan't sure, but since he was asking, I thought I'd let him know that the styles were likely to be fairly different.

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    Hey all - Just a note. If you have questions about the ATA, please feel free to PM or ask me. I am a 4th degree certified instructor, I also hold a belt in WTF. I'm fairly realistic about the ATA and what it offers, the system, etc. If you never read the Certified ATA Instructor megathread, it's rather entertaining and there is some good information. The original writer of the article in this thread (If I am right about who he is, and pretty sure I am) is no longer with the ATA, he is with AMAI.

Re: the ATF, I believe that it is an offshoot of ITF, not ATA. I stand to be corrected on that point, however.

John
    I have a question for you what is the real reason behind the fact the ATA TKD schools will not allow non-ATA schools compete in their tournaments?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidiyalm View Post
    I have a question for you what is the real reason behind the fact the ATA TKD schools will not allow non-ATA schools compete in their tournaments?
    In all honesty, because they will, in most cases, dominate over ATA members.

Why?

Due to the training methodology and how easy it is to become a black belt instructor. Mediocre instructors giving rank to mediocre students, etc, etc, etc.......

TKD has fallen enough, but the ATA are, overall, bottom dwellers when it comes to fighting ability.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Others should be here shortly. Advise you take heed before you've spent so much time it's hard to unlearn bad habits.

Seriously

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 10:09pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    In all honesty, because they will, in most cases, dominate over ATA members.

Why?

Due to the training methodology and how easy it is to become a black belt instructor. Mediocre instructors giving rank to mediocre students, etc, etc, etc.......

TKD has fallen enough, but the ATA are, overall, bottom dwellers when it comes to fighting ability.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Others should be here shortly. Advise you take heed before you've spent so much time it's hard to unlearn bad habits.

Seriously
    ITA is worse.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    ITA is worse.
    Stop.