Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 7:32pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by khf
    I doubt its mostly water. Its a good workout if anything
    That's why the majority of the ATA kids at our schools are overweight or skinny with no muscle mass, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 7:36pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't think this was in YMAS...

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    2/27/2008 7:50pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt its mostly water. Its a good workout if anything
    A good work out doesn't mean that:
    1. You're learning anything of martial value.
    2. You're learning a legitimate martial art.
    3. You're learning a martial art from a good and/or legitimate instructor.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A hugh portion of this country is overweight which comes from the abundance of fastfood chains on every corner and the fast paced lifestyle most adults lead. It has nothing to do with the ATA program. I can train every day and I will still be overweight if my diet is poor.

As for everyone else who has not gone to an ATA school you should go to one and train for a month and then you would be better qualified to make judgements about the ATA and or the Krav Maga programs . Your information should be based on that alone and not from the posts on this webpage.:ninjadanc
    Although what you say is absolutely true, keep in mind a lot of these people are talking on actual experience (long, long, long experience). Also, you do realize that this FAQ was made by an ATA instructor, and posted by a fighter/instructor, right?

So let's tone down that line of argument and keep it out of this thread. If you wish to discuss this further, please create a new thread or search for an existing one (same goes for other posters who feel they want to showcase their humor-fu.)

khf, what school in Florida do you go to? My family have my two nephews (almost 6 and 5 now) for about 10 months now at Andy Silva's ATA in Miami Lakes. They suppposedly have a KM program, I may actually check it if I have time and $$$ (though I'd lie if I say I expect it to live to my expectations.)

My nephews are happy there, and we had use the school successfully as part of their recreational activity to overcome minor ADD symptoms (there are other kids, boys and girls with more severe ADD and are doing well.) We are under no illusions of them learning fighting skills there (which we want them to at some point), and the physical training (as far as I've seen) is ok (not great.)

Having said that, I completely agree with the FAQ statements that it's a good choice for a family activity.

My only complain is that it's expensive. My sisters have to spend $500 for each for their "equipment" (vest, headgear, shinpads, and a cute ATA bag big enough to put them both inside.) One kids gets them, and then the other, and all of the sudden you have your ADD kid without out wondering why. So you have no choice but to get it.

I don't see why an instructor would have a mom buy $500 of equpiment for a 5-year old kid, specially if all they do at that age are jumping jacks and push ups and screaming "I will be a good boy, sir!" But that's how it is.

I hope I'm not derailing this FAQ, but I wanted to provide what I hope is an objective description of the first-hand IRL experience we have had with an ATA-affiliated school.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 1:58pm

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks to shu2jack aka jack smail. though i am very against the ATA at least they members like you who try to keep it real. i appreciate the nonbiased nature of this faq.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2008 8:58pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, this just does not end. Perhaps there is a visionairy TKD'er who can bring balance to the force that is Taegwando

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 1:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you were in YMAS section you'd have a point. This is the KMA section and until myself, everyone in here practices/ed TKD.

Technically I did to but, not ATA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 12:07pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks to shu2jack aka jack smail. though i am very against the ATA at least they members like you who try to keep it real. i appreciate the nonbiased nature of this faq.
    Great. You HAD to fucking tell everyone my name. Now I am going to have too kill you and go underground, you bastard. =D

I would appreciate it if this thread was kept clear of non-ATA related posts. The purpose of this thread was so people wouldn't have to go through 50 pages of ATA threads to get answers. (I know, I know. I'm not the mod here)

That said. KHF, you need to chill. If you are happy with your school, then everything is cool. Otherwise you have to realize that there are other styles and organizations out there that - as a whole - are going to do a better job training people how to fight and defend themselves. You also have to realize that if your ATA school is good for exercise and "personal development", then your instructor needs to stop telling his students he is teaching TKD/Martial arts and needs to start being honest about what he is actually teaching. Physical fitness and personal development.

Posted On:
    3/19/2008 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was happy with my TKD school until the first time I sparred outside my TKD school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2008 10:29am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    No mention of ATA's association with Krav Maga. Every ATA school I remember when I lived in the Orlando area had a Krav Maga class. What gives?

Sorry, I missed your post Matt W.

What about ATA's association with Krav Maga? I mean besides the fact that a fighting system needs a another fighting system to work in a self-defense situation?

Don't misunderstand me, from what I little have read/seen, I like Krav. My problem is that all the techniques found in Krav can be found in the ATA. Some of the theory/philosophy Krav has, I have shared and tried to put into practice with my ATA training before I knew of Krav. So why not just train your striking art better instead of gouging students for more money and making your art look weak?
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast