Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:43am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why a lot of TKD forms are bullshit Shu. I'm going to sleep will discuss later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 6:31am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would greatly appreciate it!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 11:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack View Post
    I would greatly appreciate it!
    TKD has been convoluted with the inability to look back at the original source and find out why the technique is done a specific way. This is done because of complacency, ego, and ignorance.

The most recent example of this is the break down of the Tae geuk forms. They wanted to seperate themselves so much from any Japanese influence that anything resembling the old Japanese karate that modern TKD is based off of is being eliminated no matter how absurd the technique looks.

Basic kinesiology shows how the body is designed to move and the bottom line is the structure of those "blocks" will fail if they are used with the intention shown. The basic move that is shown as a low block where you step in is actually a guard or a parry depending upon intent.

For example look at the 13 second mark on this video:
    YouTube- KARATE SHOTOKAN JKA Kumite

ATA teaches this unconsciously but most schools miss emphasizing this when it comes to forms, at least as far as I've seen. When you have 1 "master" who doesn't really understand the movements teach another who is only known to learn blindly, then after 3 generation of blind leading the blind what would you expect to learn?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I am starting to understand what you are getting at.

So in the Palgwe 1 video you posted.....every time you turn and execute a "block" you are actually turning towards an opponent as you move into a guard position, or you are turning to parry an incoming attack, then moving in to strike. Am I starting to get the right idea?

I was taught that when executing any kind of block you are not trying to meet force against force. It is more of a deflection or parry. Is that why you are telling me they are not low blocks - because I am actually deflecting something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any books or websites you recommend looking into so I could learn more about this subject?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 4:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack View Post
    I think I am starting to understand what you are getting at.

So in the Palgwe 1 video you posted.....every time you turn and execute a "block" you are actually turning towards an opponent as you move into a guard position, or you are turning to parry an incoming attack, then moving in to strike. Am I starting to get the right idea?

I was taught that when executing any kind of block you are not trying to meet force against force. It is more of a deflection or parry. Is that why you are telling me they are not low blocks - because I am actually deflecting something?
    Realize that this is all a matter of perspective. I was being very harsh by saying it was "wrong". Your first paragraph is probably more to my point.

In respect to the way the high block is being used in the ATA form I can guarantee that it will fail most of the time. There is no structure to it. I didn't understand this myself until I saw somebody work that block over and over again.

If a large organization won't allow it's students to be pressure tested outside of their own system then there tends to be flaws with that system. History has shown this to be true. Only one way to test the techniques and that's under pressure.

I don't have any real reading material on it, truthfully I find most of what's out there to be the same regurgitated dogma that every other "master" is saying. Why is this? My hypothesis revolves around the idea that most "masters" don't know the truth themselves but are insistent that their respective "truth" is correct.

The "masters" I like to hear are the ones that qualify themselves with sayings such as "this has worked for me, it may work for you" and "We have found success with this method" and "You may find this approach better" and lastly "Have you ever tried this?".

I had 2 of my instructors instructors (kung-fu and Taekwondo) Visit me in the past year. Coincidentally they both had the same words of advice (paraphrasing) "Everything is the same it's only a different approach."

So if you're going to stick with the ATA stuff the only thing I can advise is find the truth in the movement. It's there somewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your help Omega!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 11:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still want to know Balrog's rank and school to make him such a hypocritical know it all.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 11:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    I still want to know Balrog's rank and school to make him such a hypocritical know it all.
    After checking both accounts, to make sure I wasn't wrong, as far as I can tell he is a 5th degree.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 12:35am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is probably where I would put my 1st degrees if he was lucky which basically explains a lot.