Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 11:09pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    There's no such thing as a block.
    I use the term "block" and "blocking hand" because of what the technique is called. Should I have used "non-chambered hand"?

I use the "low block" in two ways. In sparring against a mid-section front or side kick. The "blocking" hand redirects the kick off centerline. From there you can continue the motion to knock them off balance, "catch" the leg, or simply just deflect it as you move in for a counter.

The other way I have played around with is someone grabbed your wrist in a cross-side grab. (So their right hand grabs your right hand). The grabbed hand works the weak-link release as the "blocking hand" strikes your opponent's grabbing forearm.

So I suppose in that light I don't use the technique as a "block" in the sense that I am simply trying to stop an attack.

In any case, what is a "proper" low "block"?

I'll run a search on "forms" to see if I can find the thread Omega. If not, does anyone remember the name of the thread, or if it is in this forum of the website?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I found the thread; "Forms are Stupid: The YMAS Thread".

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 11:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack View Post
    I use the term "block" and "blocking hand" because of what the technique is called. Should I have used "non-chambered hand"?

I use the "low block" in two ways. In sparring against a mid-section front or side kick. The "blocking" hand redirects the kick off centerline. From there you can continue the motion to knock them off balance, "catch" the leg, or simply just deflect it as you move in for a counter.

The other way I have played around with is someone grabbed your wrist in a cross-side grab. (So their right hand grabs your right hand). The grabbed hand works the weak-link release as the "blocking hand" strikes your opponent's grabbing forearm.

So I suppose in that light I don't use the technique as a "block" in the sense that I am simply trying to stop an attack.

In any case, what is a "proper" low "block"?

I'll run a search on "forms" to see if I can find the thread Omega. If not, does anyone remember the name of the thread, or if it is in this forum of the website?
    I keep telling you that picture was not a low block.

YouTube- Chon-Ji

Those aren't low blocks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 11:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They look more like hammerfists done to a low section to me.

Watching the form it seems like he breaks the form up too much. Do a block, stop. Step forward. and punch.

IMO it would make more sense to turn, "block" the incoming attack and in the same series of movement move forward to put your bodyweight into the punch counter. I would imagine that if students did those movements in partner drills, then moved in the form as they did in the drills it would make the form much more fluid.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:11am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube- Palgwe 1 - Grand Master Park

Even though they say it here, not a low block.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:14am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube- Songahm 1 Teaching Tutorial ATA White Belt
    Not a low block and the high block demoed and the instructors are both wrong.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sigh...do i really have to do this again?
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 5/26/2010 12:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I know the ATA white belt form.

Why is the high block and low block wrong? (Besides the fact that the girl's blocks - hell all of her techniques - were poorly executed

Why are the blocks in Palgwe 1 not low blocks?

Have I had too much Moutain Dew and too little sleep? Am I over thinking this?

Are they not low blocks in the sense that there is no block? Are they not low blocks from a technical standpoint? Can you show me an example of what is a low block?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    sigh...do i really have to do this again?
    You could just point me in the direction of where you have already explained it.

I suppose I am confused.

I learn a technique (BJJ or TKD). I practice the technique to get the mechanics down without resistance and either against pads or with a compliant partner. I practice the technique(s) in a drill with a partner giving me progressive resistance. Then I add it into my personal sparring game.

When I go through my form I am going through the movements and techniques I am using in sparring. So in my (brainwashed?) mind when I do a low block, then step forward and execute a lunge punch in a form I'm thinking about knocking my opponent's kick off centerline, then stepping into him and cracking him in the face. How is it not a low block? How am I doing the "block" wrong?
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast