Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2010 2:43pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To address certain points;

I do fail students who can not perform their form. Whether or not an individual agrees that forms have any use in a fighting art, forms are a part of TKD's training methods. Failure to demonstrate knowledge of the form, or failure to perform it to high enough standard, should result in a failure.

If forms are a part of the style and black belt represents a certain level of mastery of the style, you had better know the forms. Now SHOULD forms be part of a fighting art? Different topic of discussion.

I don't think that doing your forms under the withering gaze of a testing panel will help you fight better. I think that learning to perform while under pressure is an important skill.

I've seen students who fight very well in the school, but fail apart at touranments. All of a sudden there will be a "winner" and "loser" and they are out of their comfort zone. They shut down a little. I feel that testings give students that "win or lose" situation and force them to deal with that pressure, cope with it, focus, and do what needs to be done to succeed.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 11:33am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forms are a part of TKD's training methods, but TKD's training methods for forms is completely bullshit.

Your forms are bullshit, your training methods are bullshit, your ideas about training are uneducated and ignorant.

If you want to advocate bullshit, go ahead.

Just expect to be called on it.

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 11:33am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forms are a part of TKD's training methods, but TKD's training methods for forms is completely bullshit.

Your forms are bullshit, your training methods are bullshit, your ideas about training are uneducated and ignorant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 12:19pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    bwahahahahhahaah, ever here of cognitive dissonance? How about sour grapes? You are the reason why the ATA gets so much **** around here. Congratulations and thank you for proving the point. Too bad to, we actually had some decent ATA posters come here and then you had to go and mess up all their effort.:XXjester:
    What Omega said and my two cents...

Balrog, you won't answer my questions because you can't and your claims are bullshit. You can't provide substantial proof to back up your claims of quality of martial instructions ATA as whole provide to students who can cut it in ATA to give them necessary experience, skills, and tools.

Otherwise we'd see some presence of ATA in proving grounds. But we don't even see some presence. We see almost nil...out of 300,000 students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post

Der you are saying TKD's training methods for forms is BS, and that TKD's forms are bullshit. I'm honestly interested in your thoughts on that subject.

What is the purpose of "forms"? What are they designed to help with?

Then why are TKD's forms bullshit? What makes a good form?

Why are TKD's training methods for forms BS? What are good training methods for forms?

I wrote the ATA FAQ and I don't train in the ATA anymore. I still do TKD, but I am also currently training in BJJ and have spent some time post-ATA doing kickboxing and muay thai. I have my own thoughts on the value of form, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 4:54pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack View Post
    Der you are saying TKD's training methods for forms is BS, and that TKD's forms are bullshit. I'm honestly interested in your thoughts on that subject.

What is the purpose of "forms"? What are they designed to help with?

Then why are TKD's forms bullshit? What makes a good form?

Why are TKD's training methods for forms BS? What are good training methods for forms?

I wrote the ATA FAQ and I don't train in the ATA anymore. I still do TKD, but I am also currently training in BJJ and have spent some time post-ATA doing kickboxing and muay thai. I have my own thoughts on the value of form, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
    I like forms and I agree with Der. Most TKD have no idea what there forms are designed for. I love watching TKD practitioners go into this move and then say it's a low block. I tell them no then I tell them what it is and it takes me the rest of class to prove it to them. Not to mention that they don't know how to do low blocks correctly anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 6:13pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh and while we are casting aspersions on other people and their character, you want to explain why you have two accounts?
    As far as I know, I only have the one that I'm logged in as. What's the second account? It's possible that I created a second account, but I don't remember doing so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    I like forms and I agree with Der. Most TKD have no idea what there forms are designed for. I love watching TKD practitioners go into this move and then say it's a low block. I tell them no then I tell them what it is and it takes me the rest of class to prove it to them. Not to mention that they don't know how to do low blocks correctly anyway.
    Is there a thread where Der, you, or someone else goes into depth about the positive value of forms and what they are designed for? And how TKD gets it wrong? I want to learn more on this subject.

In the picture you posted it looks to me that the blocking hand is too high up - his fist on the same level of his belt knot. As I was taught the fist of my blocking hand is more like groin level. The block stops over your thigh and - depending on the size of your fists - there is about enough room for two of your fist lengths.

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 10:28pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no such thing as a block.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 10:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack View Post
    Is there a thread where Der, you, or someone else goes into depth about the positive value of forms and what they are designed for? And how TKD gets it wrong? I want to learn more on this subject.

In the picture you posted it looks to me that the blocking hand is too high up - his fist on the same level of his belt knot. As I was taught the fist of my blocking hand is more like groin level. The block stops over your thigh and - depending on the size of your fists - there is about enough room for two of your fist lengths.
    Yeah, you've been taught very wrong. As for what Der said there is only one true block.

There was one thread where everybody was ranting on the uselessness of forms. Then I showed a video and trumped everybody. I like forms, they are a useful tool but that's all they are, it's when one tries to create something that's not there that things become ridiculous.
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast