Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:03pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts World

Well...
    I've had my very first experience with a McDojo tonight.
    I was driving around today looking for a place to dry-clean my Class-A's when a sign caught my eye.
    "Martial Arts World" it said.
    So I park the car and start to walk inside, and the second I step foot in the door I'm met with a resounding "MOODOO!" that damn near brought on a PTSD fit.

Some toothless guy was standing in what looked like the position of attention, and once I made eye contact with him he rapid fired like 4 or 5 bows in my direction...I was feeling awkard..so I waved.

"Welcome to Martial Arts World! Are you interested in the martial arts?"
    "Um..yeah sure..which one?"
    "Well we here at Martial Arts World incorporate all of the martial arts into our curriculum."

He then started to name off a bunch of martial arts that they train on, some of them, like Aikido and Tae Kwon Do I knew, some of them I wasent too familiar with, such as Kuk Sool Won, and others I'm pretty sure he just made the **** up.

He then pointed to the (literally) 40-50 pictures of some grinning guy on the wall.
    "That is Grandmaster Y.K. Kim, a master of the martial arts as well as an accomplished movie star"

"Does he work here?"
    "Oh no, only high level masters meet Grandmaster Kim"
    "Oh"

He then asked me about the Army, and smoothly transitoned into asking me if I would like to have a free class.

"Sure, why not.."
    "How about tonight?
    "Um...sure..ok"

He then had me fill out some form that included my monthly pay, reference information, and other stuff. I lied on most of it.

So. Flash foward to a few hours ago.

I walked in in my PTs, got "MOODOOed again, and I almost walked out. I was sure I was in a daycare class. I think 90% of the people in the building were under the age of 9, sporting a variety of belt colors. Red, Green, Black, Blue, Blue/Black, Black/Red, Yellow/Black/Red...you get the point.

After the MOODOOs we spent the first 5-minute-eternity bowing to flags, to each other, to the grinning guy on the wall, and everything else in the damn room. Then they called me up front to tell the class about myself.
    "I'm..Kyle..and..I'm..22.." I felt like I was in the 1st grade again.

They paired me up with this guy who was supposed to teach me the basics, straight from how to make a fist. I played along, not wanting to me rude to the guy.

Then came the pads. He asked me to front snap kick this pad he was holding.
    So I did.
    And it flew across the room and hit some 6 year old in the head, which led him to immediately start crying. Can you say awkward?

They calmed the kid down and we got back to it, and then the guy told me that he wanted me to go all out on the pads. So I did, I threw a few elbows, pegged a high pad with a roundhouse and nailed a low pad with a Chasse-Bas.
    "NO! Wow..um..you cant do that!"
    "What, a chasse bas?"
    "Hunh?"
    "I used to take french kickboxing, we called it a chasse bas"
    I mimicked a chasse bas
    "No man, that's a black belt move!"
    "And?"
    "You earn the belt, you earn the right to use the techniques"
    "You gotta be kiddi...*sigh*..alright"

About this time, the "master" came over to "instruct" me. The master just happens to be a heavily overweight guy with a Brooklyn accent. His "instruction" was also a 15 minute car-salesman routine trying to get me interested.
    He started to show me all the incredibly deadly and brutal moves he'd show me, including something called the death touch and the "special forces kick".
    Yes. The Special Forces Kick.

He attempted to demonstrate on the bag, did an awkward spin, stopped dead in his tracks, snap kicked the bag, and looked at me smugly.
    "If I have to hit you with that twice, I've not done it right."

I just nodded, said Yes sir and No Sir, and at the end of the practice dodged every adult in the building attempting to get me to sign a 145$ a month contract, and left.

Horrible place, pitiful training, horribly fat trainers wrapped up in the mystique of the "martial arts", and I never did get a clear cut explaination of what martial art they even trained in.

I'm not too active on this site, and I've only recently been wanting to get back into a MA, but this was too horrible for me NOT to put on here.

Take it easy guys
    RegularJoe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:12pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it this place?

http://www.mawus.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    Is it this place?

http://www.mawus.com/

That's the one, grinning guy and all

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this thread was renamed from Choking on a McDojo Burger or something. In the future please put the name of the school in question in the thread. The title used is more appropriate to a YMAS thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ardith Dell is a black belt at Martial Arts World in Orlando, Florida. Her diligent training with Martial Arts World has allowed her to lose a total of 95 lbs.
    How have the principles of the Martial Arts World philosophy impacted your life?
    It has influenced me in the way I handle my finances. Since training, I have learned to be smarter with my savings and with business management. It has also helped me have a more positive attitude and to follow principles and values rather than feelings and emotions.
    What the hell?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    What the hell?

Told ya.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    this thread was renamed from Choking on a McDojo Burger or something. In the future please put the name of the school in question in the thread. The title used is more appropriate to a YMAS thread.

Ah, my apologies if I put it in the wrong section

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:37pm

Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's see - no where does it even mention what kind of martial arts training Y.K. Kim, but yet go on and on about how successful he is at public speaking and running seminars.

The styles they claim to extract the best pieces of are: Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Kung Fu, Hapkido, Jujitsu, Yoga (?), Kickboxing, Tai Chi (?), and Dang Soodo (wtf???). When I Google Dang Soodo the only thing that comes up is the Martial Arts World website.

Here a quote from there website about opening your own Martial Arts World school (listed under Careers):

The first step is to practice. Next, you must attend Masterís Quest classes or Instructorís College through Martial Arts World. Following this, you must become a MAW intern. Finally, you must participate in national leadership an certification seminars, and upon passing the exams, you would then be eligible to become a MAW Certified Instructor.
    The final steps involve finding enough funds to open your school and obtaining a license from Martial Arts World. For more details, ask your Instructor or Call MAW Headquarters at 1-800-616-9391
    These prerequisites exist to ensure that those representing Martial Arts World demonstrate the leadership ability, instructional skills, and business experience needed to be a successful Martial Arts World school owner.
    poking around, I found this little gem about the kind of "training" required to open your own school (and be granted the title of MAW CEO)
    The first step is to be guided through the MAW curriculum under the instruction of a MAW instructor. Before completion of your 2nd Dan test, you will also be required to attend Masterís Quest or Instructorís College classes and volunteer as an intern at your school.

It is also required of you to attend national leadership and certification seminars, where you will obtain certification as a: certified examiner, referee, coach, weight control counselor, public speaker, and action-movie star coach. Here, certifications are also to be presented at these events.
    From what I can tell by digging around the site it appears that the Instructor's College classes are held at the various MAW schools themselves.

Please tell me this is some kind of elaborate troll job. If not, this is probably the biggest McDojo (and probably Bullshido since they actually claim to teach self-defense) I have ever seen. . ..Or a cult. It could be a martial arts cult.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love this guy

I wonder if anyone on BS has trained at MAW?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast