Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 3:55am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Daido juku head gear, have you worn it?

I've been looking for some head gear that will protect your eyes. I want to use it for knife sparring. I saw the Daido juku head gear and thought it'd be pretty good for this.

Have any of you worn it? Does it fog up really bad? is it super hard to breath in?

I would just order one and find out, but they're not cheap, and I think I'd have to order them off the net.

Thanks

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 7:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 7:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a real sharpened metal knife? Or a wooden / rubber tanto?

For fake knife I suggest a fencing head gear.

It can handle an epee thrust so it should handle a wooden or rubber tanto

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:22am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For knife sparring I like regular ol' tennis goggles. Cheaper and easier to find. How heavy a trainer do you use?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 12:07pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I might go with a fencing mask. I've used them before, and been less then pleased. Tennis goggles might be ok, but I think they'll get torn off quickly. We'll likely test a bunch of crap. I orderd a hockey face shield, and a plastic shielded Krotty helmet.

Thanks for the other bullshido link, it answerd most of my questions. I thought I searched, guess not good enough. Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 5:01pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use antifog on the inside. Its not particularly hard to breath in them. It takes a couple minutes to readjust your distance because the face guard goes out a few inches in front of your face. Also, they frequently come off when grappling, and everyone says that they are 'delicate'.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 10:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I'm necroing this up. Sorry in advance this is going to be long, but I've got quite a few questions:

I just (as in I'm sitting here all dripping blood out of my gauze wrapped nose) had nasal surgery to repair a deviated septum due to broken nose x2. I obviously can't afford to reconstruct my nose on a regular basis (and from what I understand it's going to be slightly weaker structurally now with cartilage cut away) so I want to wear a space helmet to protect my investment.

For the time being I bought one of these: http://www.bushipower.com/page/BS/PROD/A8924

It's surprisingly not too bad, not as shock absorbent as boxing headgear, but not as bad as one would think. It held up just fine through one fairly hard sparring session, but I'm still not totally convinced the face mask won't shatter if someone belts the **** out of me, especially with a kick. I don't suppose anyone has used this one before and can offer an opinion?

Anyways, some questions about Kudo headgear:

1. I'm curious if anyone has found a U.S. distributor for Daido Juku helmets (either the old version or the new), because $168 + shipping from Japan more than a little steep. I've found a few sites, but they're all imported from Japan or Europe.

2. Apparently Tokaido makes a very good (cheaper?) copy of the old version (see: http://www.kw2.com.hk/product.php?id2=40&id=168), but this site offers no prices (distributor only?) and neither the U.S. nor Japanese Tokaido site (nor anyone else) seems to have it for sale. Neither site returned my emails inquiring about it either.

3. I know the new Daido Juku helmet has a shoelace system in the back (which I hate). I can't find a rear view of the old version though. Is it lace-up or velcro/hook & loop?

4. I've got a fairly big (but not huge) head so I'm concerned if I do wind up getting a space helmet helmet for an obscene amount of money it won't fit because the sizing is being judged according to diminutive Japanese people. Anyone who owns one, just how big is their large? (I can fit into most companies' large headgears np, but I've occasionally encountered brands where even an extra-large didn't fit.)

They offer a sizing chart on their site (http://www.daidojuku.com/eng/index.htm), but it is absolutely confusing as ****. God knows why they can't just give you an estimate of the interior space via crown circumference like hat sizing.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/25/2008 4:59pm at .